ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 09-22-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 70
Uploads: 0
Sung Kim is on a distinguished road
Default Moving Crane

HI,
I try to build a model in which a moving bridge crane is used as a transporter. Basically, it functions like current Flexsim crane object, but the entire crane structure travels from/to different location freely. Example images can be found with "mi jack crane" search key word.
http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl...w=1234&bih=793
I thought about using a transporter object with replacing 3D shape, but it loses the resolution of pick/drop movement of the crane animation(?).
The system I need to model has several load/unload areas. Each area requests the moving crane structure fairly often during the operation day. Upon request, the crane travels to the area, and do its job. Upon completion, it could travel to the other location.
With my lack of knowledge and limited trials, I even doubt that it could be doable in regular Flexsim?? Do I have to use FlexsimCT?

Does anybody has the same/similar modeling experience? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!!
Thank you.
Old 09-23-2010
LINWEIXU

Downloads:
Uploads:

perhaps , you can put crane object under the transporter object, and do not show 3d sharp of transporter,then you can use createcoordinatedtasksequence() to finish your purpose.
I do not try to do this before, but i think this way can do that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Sung Kim (09-23-2010)
Old 09-23-2010
Flexsim User

Thank you, LINWEIXU.

I didn't try your approach yet, but I seems interesting way. By the way, I don't have quite good experience of using coordinatedtasksequence, so it might be a dull question, but what "put crane object under the transporter object" means? Does the crane still need to be capable of traveling to "put it under the transporter"? Could you please help me to understand a bit more specifically for the "putting crane under the transporter"?

Thank you.
Sung
Old 09-24-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 35
Jörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond repute

Use the transport as a container in your model. The approach is that you move the crane in the transporter.

moveobject(crane,transporter);

Crane und transporter are pointers to their objects.

Hope that give you a hint.

Jörg
The Following User Says Thank You to Jörg Vogel For This Useful Post:
Sung Kim (09-24-2010)
Old 09-24-2010
Flexsim User

Thanks to LINWEIXU and Jörg, I have my model close to what I want (logically). However, the animation breaks out while it travels after move the crane object to the transporter. I think the crane object has two entities to control the shape/animation, i.e., crane (TE) and structure (shell). The structure would not cooperate traveling along with the crane. I tried to setloc function to set forcely the position of both of them, but it works only the objects stops. Still it arbitrary breaks out "while it travels". Maybe I missed somthing here, but I couldn't figure it out yet. Any thought?
Old 09-24-2010
LINWEIXU

Downloads:
Uploads:

Transporter do not travel offset. you can copy crane into Transporter from tree.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Sung Kim (09-27-2010)

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving around objects on high Z-position Steven Hamoen Q&A 13 09-02-2013 03:16 AM
Moving item into patient David Chan FlexSim HC: Q&A 6 06-15-2010 08:35 AM
Moving Conveyor Brandon Peterson User Development 5 07-30-2009 06:53 PM
Crane Logic: How to find out what a crane currently is doing? Tom David Q&A 5 06-02-2008 11:57 PM
Operators moving backwards Nico Zahn Tips and Tricks 0 05-19-2008 04:51 AM