ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 06-30-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
john mic is on a distinguished road
Smile To replace 3D shape

Hi all,
I built a machine with ProE,now I have changed it as a WRL file.But when I use it to replace 3D file in Flexsim,it can not been seen,where was it going? How should I solve this problem.Here I attached the file I made.Thanks for your solutions!
Attached Files
File Type: zip hsbm.zip (22.8 KB, 187 views)
Old 06-30-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 4
Nico Zahn has a spectacular aura aboutNico Zahn has a spectacular aura about

Hi John,
if you export the drawing as an VRML 1 drawing (also wrl) you can use it in Flexsim. Your drawing is in the VRML 2 format which, as far as I know and can be (not) seen here, can not be displayed by Flexsim....
Old 06-30-2010
FlexSim Software Products

Downloads: 37
RalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to behold

John,

I have converted your file to VRML1. The attachement contains two 3D models:
hsbmVRML1: Same file as yours, just exported as VRML1, size and rotation need to be adjusted in Flexsim, but colors are correct
hsbmAC3D: File above, but converted in AC3D for Flexsim import. Color information is lost, but can be easily added again in AC3D.

Good luck

Ralf
aka Ralle
Flexsim D
Attached Files
File Type: zip hsbmVRML1.zip (35.9 KB, 175 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RalfGruber For This Useful Post:
Tom David (06-30-2010)
Old 07-02-2010
Flexsim User

Ralf,

Thanks for helping me solve this problem.Would you tell me how you convert the file to hsbmVRML1 and hsbmAC3D(what software you used)?

Best Regards!
John
Old 07-02-2010
FlexSim Software Products

Downloads: 37
RalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to behold

John,

this is, what I did:
- First wanted to open your file with Okino´s PolyTrans (http://www.okino.com/default.htm), but that didn´t show it correctly since I do not have a ProE importer.
- What I did then was to open your file in VizUp (http://www.vizup.com/) which is a really nice polygon reduceer, but only works VRML2. It could read your file and after saving it off from VizUp, I was able to read it into Polytrans.
- Once in Polytrans, I exported it as VRML1, which kept all color information and sizes (hsbmVRML1).
- After that, I imported it into AC3D (http://www.inivis.com/) to change its size and rotation in a way, that it is correctly drawn within Flexsim´s yellow bounding box. Unfortunately AC3D doesn´t keep colors when you import VRML1. You can specify new colors in AC3D which are drawn correctly in Flexsim and/or you can set areas of the model to color black (meaning no material). For these areas, you can change the color within Flexsim´s general tab of the object (hsbmAC3D).

Okino is about 800 US$ with the CAD pack (as I said, I didn´t have Granite or ProE importers), VizUp is about US$ 149 and Ac3D is about US$ 60, if I remember correctly.

Hope that helps

Ralf
aka ralle
Flexsim Germany
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RalfGruber For This Useful Post:
Tom David (07-02-2010)
Old 07-04-2010
Flexsim User

Ralf,
Thank you!

Best Regards!
John
Old 07-05-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 35
Jörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond repute

John,

if you export vrml-files from ProE use the version 1.0 as mentioned above. The key is to change the config.pro parameters to export vrml to 1.0.

Next step is to export a geometric complex model. After the export you should see some files like model-name plus _pr1.wrl, _pr2.wrl, _pr3.wrl. If you don't see those files, make your model more complex. E.g. a sphere will do it.
Another hint is that 1000 ProE drawing units represent one drawing unit in flexsim.
And the standard drawing color (ref_color_1) changes its color in flexsim.
I export files from ProE by the filemenu command: save a copy. As Type I choose VRML (*.wrl).

Hope that helps

Jörg
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jörg Vogel For This Useful Post:
Tom David (07-05-2010)

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
changing shape factor when changing 3d shape KelvinHo Q&A 3 09-03-2009 08:24 AM
3D Shape Import Problems jspeece Q&A 2 07-30-2009 03:47 AM
Auto Shape Factor Kris Geisberger User Development 0 05-04-2009 09:29 AM
Search and replace Nico Zahn Gripes and Goodies 0 05-19-2008 01:54 AM
Adjusting 3d shape of a crane Maurits Brandt Tips and Tricks 3 09-14-2007 12:25 AM