ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Flexsim Student Forum
FAQ Downloads Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Flexsim Student Forum Forum for discussion for Flexsim Students using the Flexsim Textbook.

Old 11-04-2015
Victoria Davila

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default Export model from Creo

I'm currently attempting to export a model using a CAD program called CREO. I'd like to replace one of the flowitems. Is there a recommended file type to save this as? I attempted to save it as a dxf, which is an AUTOCAD file but the file is 14.1 mb and REALLY slows down the model, it practically shuts FlexSim down. I also tried to save it as .stl but when I uploaded it to Flexsim an image didn't appear. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2015
Talumis, Flexsim Distributor, The Netherlands

Downloads: 43
Steven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond repute

I'm no expert so I don't know what files stay very small but Flexsim itself uses *.3ds a lot and we have good experience with that as well. Also vrml1 (*.wrl) files works fine.

But 14Mb should actually work fine in your model so I guess there is the problem with the graphics card or graphics card settings. Please check this post out:
https://www.flexsim.com/community/fo...hlight=flexsim
The Following User Says Thank You to Steven Hamoen For This Useful Post:
RalfGruber (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015
FlexSim Software Products

Downloads: 37
RalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to behold

Victoria,

can you please give me access to the files you have exported and let me give it a try?

Best wishes
Ralf
FlexSim
Old 11-09-2015
Victoria Davila

hi Ralf, I attached a zip file, again the file ext is .dxf as this was one of the only common file extensions between CREO and Flexsim that I could use. Hope you can find something out!
Attached Files
File Type: zip 2032980g1.zip (1.32 MB, 573 views)
Old 11-09-2015

RalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to behold

Victoria,

I attached these three things:

1. Screenshot from Polytrans, a 3D conversion tool I use.
2. Screenshot from FlexSim after using the shape as you sent it in a visual object.
3. FlexSim model I took the screenshot from.

There are a few broken polygons visible in FlexSim, but overall I think it looks pretty good. What do you think?

Best wishes

Ralf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PolytransScreenshot.png
Views:	630
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	3096   Click image for larger version

Name:	FlexSimScreenshot.png
Views:	624
Size:	594.3 KB
ID:	3097  
Attached Files
File Type: fsm FlexSimSample.fsm (1.35 MB, 584 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to RalfGruber For This Useful Post:
Sebastian Hemmann (11-09-2015)
Old 11-16-2015
Victoria Davila

Hi Ralf - thanks for looking into this! It does look good however, are you implying that I have to use a 3D conversion tool similar to Polytrans, in order to upload the file into Flexsim?
Old 11-16-2015

Hi Victoria,

no, I used the shape exactly as you sent it.
No conversion required.

Best wishes

Ralf
FlexSim
Old 11-16-2015
Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 20
Jason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Polytrans screenshot was just for comparison - Ralf used the dxf in the visual tool /shape object (he now replied).

If you post the creo assembly file we can see how that compares to the dxf.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Lightfoot For This Useful Post:
arunkrmahadeva (11-16-2015), RalfGruber (11-16-2015)
Old 11-18-2015
Flexcon, Flexsim Distributor, Italy

Downloads: 24
mgiubilato will become famous soon enough

Just to add a few words to this discussion :
- I agree with Ralf : it a DXF and then can be imported direclty with FlexSim as 3D Shape
- From our experience we prefer do not import direclty 3D DXF, because DXF format might give some problems with solid representation (in this specific example the imported 2032980g1.dxf show a bad quality.
- We prefer have 3DS or better (and when available) get a STEP file and then process it with a data simplification program (Polytrans is a good example) In this way keep the solid aspect and get a light weight representation (the 2032980g1.dxf is a 14 MB => 70K polygons, not that good as FlowItem)

This specific example after having been simplified with polytrans and exported to 3DS format we get a 344 kB and 4650 polygons 3DS, without graphics losses respect of the original file (is 6.5 % of the original complexity); this just seaming adjacent edges. Graphic quality is still bad because of the losses of DXF export.

In order to get a good result IMHO :
- Export from Creo to STEP.
- Load it with polytrans and run the Process Polygons commands (that basically join small surface into a single polyhefron) and trhen remove the hidden polygons.
- Export to 3DS and then load it to FlexSim.
This should also give a good graphics output

Attached the original 2032980g1.dxf simplified with Polytrans and then converted to 3DS
Attached Files
File Type: zip 2032980g1 NEW.zip (91.4 KB, 565 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mgiubilato For This Useful Post:
Jing Chen (11-18-2015), Phil BoBo (11-18-2015), RalfGruber (11-18-2015), Steven Hamoen (11-19-2015)