ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 11-11-2013
Flexsim User

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0
Lorenzo Gutierrez is on a distinguished road
Default Assigning Fixed Flow post Split

I'm using a seperator to split a flow item into 6 flow items.

How can I get 2 of the 6 to exit from port 1 and the other 4 to exit from port 2?

Thank you
Old 11-12-2013
CCS, India

Downloads: 67
arunkrmahadeva is a jewel in the rougharunkrmahadeva is a jewel in the rougharunkrmahadeva is a jewel in the rougharunkrmahadeva is a jewel in the rough
Default Hi Lorrentzo,

I think you can use the insertcopy command for doing this.

insertcopy(obj originalobject, obj containerobject) Description: Creates a copy of the flowitem and moves it into the container object, causing the OnReceive event of the container to execute.
Example: insertcopy(item, current);

Creates a duplicate of the flowitem and moves it into the current object.
The Following User Says Thank You to arunkrmahadeva For This Useful Post:
Jörg Vogel (11-12-2013)
Old 11-12-2013
Flexsim User

Downloads: 35
Jörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Hello Lorenzo,

it is interesting question, because you can not use the content of the separator to decide where the item is going to. If all ports are open you have a content of 2 or 1 but never greater than 2. If the ports are closed the content rise to amount of the items still to exit. And if the ports get closed while the splitting is goinig on you do not know exactly which item should leave through port 1 or 2.
Therefore you can build your own balance of items. After the separator has finished processing you set a label value to the number of items you want to splitt to. Then you decrement this value by one on the function send to port (Flow Tab). Now you can decide on this label where the items go.

But be aware of the function releaseitem. This calls the "send to port" function again. Thus you can still change an outputport of an already released item to another port.

Jörg
Old 11-12-2013
Talumis, Flexsim Distributor, The Netherlands

Downloads: 43
Steven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you put a queue behind your seperator and split the products on that qeueu?
The Following User Says Thank You to Steven Hamoen For This Useful Post:
Jörg Vogel (11-12-2013)
Old 11-12-2013
Flexsim User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkrmahadeva View Post
I think you can use the insertcopy command for doing this.

insertcopy(obj originalobject, obj containerobject) Description: Creates a copy of the flowitem and moves it into the container object, causing the OnReceive event of the container to execute.
Example: insertcopy(item, current);

Creates a duplicate of the flowitem and moves it into the current object.
arunkrmahadeva - Thank you. I haven't used insertcopy before. So perhaps I can use the splitter but split to 2 items and use round robin for flow rule. The one that leaves through port 1, I can have it copy multiple times to equate to 4 units. The one that leaves through port 2, have it copy once to equal to two units. Did I get that right? I'll try it!
Old 11-12-2013
Flexsim User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jörg Vogel View Post
Hello Lorenzo,

it is interesting question, because you can not use the content of the separator to decide where the item is going to. If all ports are open you have a content of 2 or 1 but never greater than 2. If the ports are closed the content rise to amount of the items still to exit. And if the ports get closed while the splitting is goinig on you do not know exactly which item should leave through port 1 or 2.
Therefore you can build your own balance of items. After the separator has finished processing you set a label value to the number of items you want to splitt to. Then you decrement this value by one on the function send to port (Flow Tab). Now you can decide on this label where the items go.

But be aware of the function releaseitem. This calls the "send to port" function again. Thus you can still change an outputport of an already released item to another port.

Jörg
You just helped me understand why all my attempts at making this work were futile! I like your suggestion using the label, but can you explain a bit more of where I'd put the label logic (finished processing trigger?) and how to decrement it on the flow logic. I appreciate it!
Old 11-12-2013
Flexsim User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Hamoen View Post
Why don't you put a queue behind your seperator and split the products on that qeueu?
Thank you Steven. Do you mean split the items using the insert copy command similar to what arunkrmahadeva provided? Please explain.
Old 11-12-2013
Flexsim User

Thank you all. I ended up learning how to use insertcopy. I have seperator splitting into 2 and use round robin for flow. Upon exit at seperator, if port ==1 I use insert copy 3 times to result in 4 units going to port 1 destination. If port ==2 I use insertcopy once to result in 2 times going to that port. Thank you!

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 Network Nodes to a fixed resource? Chong Chin Soon Q&A 4 06-29-2012 01:46 AM
Using Separator for split Flowitem jasonjj Q&A 21 06-05-2012 08:17 AM
Avoiding collisions with dynamically placed fixed resources David Platt Q&A 3 05-15-2012 04:06 AM
Please post your version of Flexsim Carsten Seehafer Q&A 0 02-09-2012 04:23 AM
Ever lost a post due to the forum timing out? Ben Wilson Tips and Tricks 0 01-18-2010 10:39 AM