ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Installation
Downloads

Installation Installation, licensing and hardware issues

Old 11-20-2010
Flexsim Distributor

Downloads: 74
Uploads: 0
David Chan has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Chan has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Chan has a spectacular aura about
Default Installation of LAN license using lmtools

Hi,

Here are the steps for installing the license manager using LMTools.

Getting Started - Preliminary Setup

To use LMTools, we need to prepare the following:
  1. Download the latest LAN License Tools (click here). You will need several of the files from this download.
  2. Download lmgrd and lmtools, either 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) according to your system specification. lmgrd and lmtools files are attached to this post for download.
  3. Refer to FlexSimLicenseServerInstructions.pdf (from the LAN License Tools downloaded in step 1):
    • See the section named "Activate licenses from FlexSim’s Master Licensing Server".
    • Follow the steps outlined to activate licenses using flexsimserveractutil.exe.
  4. Create a folder (maybe call it "FlexSim_License" - we'll use that example name going forward) at any convenient but permanent location.
  5. Drop lmtools.exe into your new FlexSim_License folder. Use one of the lmtools downloads attached to this post.
  6. Drop lmgrd.exe into your new FlexSim_License folder. Use one of the lmgrd downloads attached to this post. Some newer versions may not work properly.
  7. Drop the following additional files into your new FlexSim_License folder. These files are found in the LAN License Tools downloaded in step 1, under LANlicense/License Manager/licenses/flexsim/:
    • flexsim.exe
    • flexsim.opt (an options file)
    • flexsim_libFNP.dll (the vendor daemon files)
    • flexsim_server.lic (boot-strap license file)
  8. Create an empty log.log file in your new FlexSim_License folder by right clicking in the folder and selecting New>Text Document from the context menu. Rename the "New Text Document.txt" file to log.log (yes, this will change the file extension).
Service Configuration with LMTools

Double-click lmtools.exe to start the program. You may need to accept a permissions prompt.
  1. Go to the "Configure Service" tab
  2. Create a service by typing the name (maybe call it "FlexSim_License"). It looks like a dropdown select field, but you can type a new name in the field.
  3. Specify the paths to the lmgrd, .lic, and .log files that you copied to your new FlexSim_License folder.
  4. Check "Use Service" and "Start Server at Power Up"
  5. Click the "Save Service" button. Confirm the save by choosing "Yes".
  6. Go to the "Start/Stop/Reread" tab. In the list of "FlexNet license services installed on this computer", click the "FlexSim_License" service to select it, then click the "Start Server" button.
  7. You can check whether you have started the service by going to the "Server Status" tab and clicking "Perform Status Enquiry". If the service started, then you should see the number of license activated.
  8. You can view the service log on the Config Services tab, click the View Log... button.

Connecting Client PCs
  1. View the standard installation instructions (pdf link here)
  2. Follow the instructions in section 8. Activate Client PCs
  3. If your client PC is not getting a license from your LAN License Server, see the section Troubleshooting client-server licensing problems

I hope this is useful for those who use lmtools.

Regards,

David
Attached Files
File Type: zip lmgrd_x64.zip (610.9 KB, 3377 views)
File Type: zip lmgrd_x86.zip (455.7 KB, 1883 views)
File Type: zip lmtools-i86_n3-11.12.1.0v6.zip (1.45 MB, 1893 views)
File Type: zip lmtools-x64_n6-11.12.1.0v6.zip (1.84 MB, 4047 views)

Last edited by Ben Wilson; 08-02-2016 at 09:47 AM. Reason: new attachments
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to David Chan For This Useful Post:
Sebastian Schreiber (05-06-2011)
Old 11-22-2010
Flexsim Development

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 18
Thanked 1,483 Times in 525 Posts
Phil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond repute

You can download the lmtools program and lmgrd.exe from Flexera directly: http://www.globes.com/support/fnp_ut...s_download.htm

The License Administration Guide is also available on that website. The guide can you help troubleshoot network installation issues.

UPDATE: as of July 31, 2014, that page is no longer available. Please use the download link in David's post at the top of this thread to download the LANlicense.zip tools from FlexSim, and the lmtools and lmgrd downloads attached to the post. The License Administration Guide is included in the LANlicense.zip download.

Last edited by Ben Wilson; 09-08-2014 at 07:41 AM. Reason: update
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Phil BoBo For This Useful Post:
Sebastian Schreiber (05-09-2011)
Old 02-10-2011
Flexsim User

Downloads: 439
syseo has a spectacular aura aboutsyseo has a spectacular aura about
Default Client PC can't share the lan server licenses from 5.1.2 version...

Hi.

I find the flexsim client PC can't share the lan server license from 5.1.2 version.

I connected the using flexsim client PC with the server license when using the previous 5.1.0 version. I used then lmtools.exe and lmgrds.exe.
Because when using the FlexNet program, Internet Explorer can't open the lan administrating page via port 8080 (localhost:8080).
So I can make the client flexsim share with the server license using lmtools.exe. This time was when using 5.1.0 before installation 5.1.2.

But I can't make the flexsim client PC connected with the lan license of the server using lmtools. What's the problem?

I can't use the flexnet license manager using internet explorer.
I.E can't open the starting page of managing the licenses.

What can I do next?

Does someone have a experience about it?

Help me.
Old 02-26-2011
Flexsim Distributor

David Chan has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Chan has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Chan has a spectacular aura about

Yeo,

Correct me if I am wrong. You are saying that you are not able to open the adminstor GUI when using LMTOOLS? The localhost:8080 you have mentioned is the admin GUI for lmadmin.exe, isn't it? LMTOOLS has it's own GUI.

David
Old 05-06-2011
Flexsim User

Downloads: 19
Sebastian Schreiber is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have some problems with the LMTOOLS. We also have running a MATLAB server on the same machine, that's why we use this tool.

I followed the information David gave at the beginn of this thread. I think LMTOOLS does not recognize the number of concurrent network licenses (which are 20).

You find the information LMTOOLS provides at the end of this message.

I hope someone can help me ...

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Sebastian

*** LMTOOLS information ***

*** (a) Server Status: ***

License server status: 27001@ifaserver2003
License file(s) on ifaserver2003: C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2011a\etc\win32\flexsim_server.lic:
ifaserver2003: license server UP (MASTER) v11.9
Vendor daemon status (on ifaserver2003):
flexsim: UP v11.9
Feature usage info:
Users of serverfeature: (Uncounted, node-locked)

*** (b) Server Diags ***

--------
Diagnostics
--------
FLEXnet diagnostics on Fri 5/6/2011 15:08
-----------------------------------------------------
License file: C:\Flexsim LAN\flexsim_server.lic
"serverfeature" v1.000, vendor: flexsim
uncounted nodelocked license locked to NOTHING (hostid=ANY) starts: 1-jan-1990, no expiration date

This is the correct node for this node-locked license
License file: C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2011a\etc\win32\flexsim_server.lic
Old 05-06-2011
Flexsim Development

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 18
Thanked 1,483 Times in 525 Posts
Phil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond repute

Did you do step 1?

1. Activate licenses using flexsimserveractutil.exe

You should send this inquiry to support so that they can help you directly. Include the output from the flexsimserveractutil.exe's menu option Tools > View License Rights.

Also include the log from the Flexsim service in lmtools. It is available on the Config Services tab when you press the View Log button.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phil BoBo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2011
Flexsim User

Downloads: 19
Sebastian Schreiber is on a distinguished road

Thank you Phil. I did ... I'll sent them an inquiry.
Old 05-09-2011
Flexsim Distributor

Hi

I have seen that "error" yesterday. I guessed you are using a old LMTool which I saw yestrday. Though the old LMTool could recognize, but actually I am still able detect the license from the client.

But finally I have updated the new LMTool from the web link provided by Phil and it looks ok.

Please try them

David

PS. I am suggesting that you have keep a seperate folder for Flexsim and do not mix with MATLAB. Your imgrd.exe should be in the same folder with the Flexsim.exe and other dll as well
Old 06-07-2011
Flexsim Distributor

Default LMTool error -15

Hi

Just managed to solve a problem that happen with the use of lmtool.

1. Symptom: (Found under the Server Status)
Cannot connect to license server system
The server (lmgrd) has not been started yet, or ...
local path: @192.168.1.104; 192.168.1.1
Flexnet error: -15,..

2. Problem: I realized that the local path does not match with my server IP which can be found at Server Setting Or you can also list the All Vendor Path at Utilities

3. Solution: Go to Utilities. Either Add new path or Overide the current path. Do rememer to stop the server before doing this.

4. Some other issues might occured: I realized that I could not see the number of counter.

Users of serverfeature: (Uncounted, node-locked)

I return and re-activate the license once more.

Things look fine now!!

Good luck!!

Regards

David
Sebastian Schreiber (06-08-2011)
Old 09-03-2013
Steelcase, Inc.

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 11
Cameron Pluim will become famous soon enoughCameron Pluim will become famous soon enough

Sometimes the most current lmgrd available from Flexera will not keep the vendor daemon running, and it will stop after a few minutes of working. If this is the case, try using the attached lmgrd which I have put in a zip file, and given the extension .txt. You will need to change the extension to a .exe in order for this lmgrd to work with lmtools, and then the license server will continue to run without any troubles.
Attached Files
File Type: zip lmgrd.zip (436.8 KB, 139 views)

Last edited by Cameron Pluim; 09-04-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Tags
activation, lan license, lmtool

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installation problem with VISTA David Chan Installation 7 09-09-2013 10:49 PM
Installation Error 15012010 David Chan Installation 6 01-16-2012 02:54 AM
Installation problem Steven Hamoen Installation 3 06-17-2009 06:20 AM
Flexsim Network License Installation Guide Cliff King Installation 5 03-27-2009 04:36 AM
questions about installation in vista Ning Wang Installation 14 10-24-2008 01:08 AM