ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 06-08-2011
Flexsim User

Downloads: 52
Uploads: 0
Sebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to behold
Default Differences for projects, sessions and models

Hi,

I´m not sure what are the differences (pros / cons) of using projects/ sessions instead of building models in Flexsim.
It looks as if saving as project saves the complete tree (as explained in the user manual). But why isn´t it possible to continue the actual simulation run?
And what would be a reason for saving as an Flexsim XML? Didn´t found out, how it works until now.
Does anybody got some experiences to share with me, or hints where I can expand my knowledge?

Greetings
Old 06-08-2011
FlexSim Software Products

Downloads: 37
RalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to behold

Sebastian,

saving a project saves the whole main tree (system, library and model). Saving a session file saves the view tree in addition. Both options have been created in the earlier days and are not much used anymore (I guess) with the introduction of user libraries and the ability to save off a workspace.
If you want to continue a model run saved before, you will need to save the model with "File/State Files/Save". If you load it with "...Load" you will be able to continue a simulation run.
Flexsim XML saves a model in XML format. The big advantage of that is being an ASC II format instead of a binary format which *.fsl is. That means, software development tools for organizing like SVN can be used. Reasons to do so are e.g. version management and having multiple people work the same time.

Hope that answers your questions for now.

Best wishes

Ralf
aka Ralle
Flexsim
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RalfGruber For This Useful Post:
Sebastian Schreiber (06-15-2011)
Old 06-09-2011
Flexsim User

Downloads: 52
Sebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to behold

Thanks.
We are searching for ways to build standard models faster. Thought, maybe creating a project can help to load all userlibrarys and other settings with only starting Flexsim.

The XML option even seems to be interesting, because we still search for a solution for multiple person working in one model the same time. And this way I even understand how SVN could help using together with Flexsim.
Old 06-10-2011
FlexSim Software Products

Downloads: 37
RalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to behold

Sebastian,

under "Files/Global Preferences/User Libraries" you can add all those user libraries you want to be loaded with starting Flexsim.

Best wishes

Ralf
aka Ralle
Flexsim
The Following User Says Thank You to RalfGruber For This Useful Post:
Sebastian Hemmann (06-12-2011)
Old 12-19-2014
Graca Silva

Downloads: 11

How does one works in Flexsim XML in VS? I mean, it exports a single file, the .fsx, and VS asks for a project? To validate against the schema I can do that, but I can't seem to be able to do a push or something... what am I missing?
Old 12-28-2014
Talumis, Flexsim Distributor, The Netherlands

Downloads: 43
Steven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond repute

Graca,

A project in Flexsim has nothing todo with a project in Visual Studio. Visual studio can be used for 2 things:
1. If you use C++ code inside Flexsim you can use visual studio to compile Flexsim
2. you can create a DLL in Visual Studio that you can link to Flexsim. (https://www.flexsim.com/community/fo...read.php?t=382)

XML is only a way to save a binairy file as an ascii file. Usually for reasons of source control (PS I would recommand Mercurial or Git in stead of SVN)
The Following User Says Thank You to Steven Hamoen For This Useful Post:
Graca Silva (01-06-2015)
Old 01-07-2015
Graca Silva

Thank you Steven for your answer.

I was wondering, on another side of the question, would it be possible to work with flexsim at xml level so that if, for example, I would want to make a layout of my factory by importing the xml description to my machines let's say, could it be done?
Old 01-07-2015

Steven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure what you exactly want to do. If I read your question correctly, do you want to have an xml file containing information about locations, dimensions etc..

I'm pretty sure that it is possible because you can import xml files onto nodes, but you have to very exact and specify a lot of details. I would always go for the excel approach (or textfiles or a database). Much easier to manipulate, to understand and to create.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steven Hamoen For This Useful Post:
Graca Silva (01-08-2015)
Old 01-08-2015
Graca Silva

Yes, that's right. I will learn more about these then, thanks for the tip. If I understood correctly you say that I can do like objects import with excel? (or ...)
Old 01-08-2015

No you can't import an object with excel.
But you can import the characteristics of an object with excel. And then on reset you can create a piece of code that creates an object from the library, sets its location its size and everything else you want to set from the information that you imported from excel and that is stored in a global table.

I'm still not sure what it is exactly that you want to do. Maybe can you enlighten us there?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steven Hamoen For This Useful Post:
Paulo Lopes (03-09-2015)
Old 01-08-2015
Graca Silva

sure, I want to try working with a sensor that I can put to different machines and it will give me some information and then I can import it to flexsim in order to create scenarios, of layouts for example
Old 03-09-2015
Paulo Lopes

Downloads: 9

So, if I understand correctly, one cannot create a layout without opening flexsim, you have to have a layout of sorts there and then you import the characteristics of let's say machines, etc?
Old 03-11-2015

Technically you don't create a layout in Flexsim but a model...

And technically you can create this layout outside Flexsim by creating an xml file. But practically it is infinitely more easier to automatically create a model in a different way.

If your layout is fixed but the parameters change you can read those parameters from Excel, txt or cvs files or database.

If your layout is not fixed generate the layout from script. You can do anything in Flexscript with code. So you can let the script read information from Excel, txt or cvs or database (or any of the other communication options that Flexsim has ( tcp/ip, webserver, commandline parameters etc..) and then use that information to create your model.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steven Hamoen For This Useful Post:
Paulo Lopes (03-17-2015)

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flexsim HC Models Bill Nordgren Product Announcements 0 06-30-2010 02:02 PM
Version 5 Demo models Kenny Macleod Marketing and Sales Information 2 06-14-2010 03:17 PM
Section 3 Models Malcolm Beaverstock Flexsim Student Forum 0 01-06-2010 09:23 PM
Big Models - How big and what hardware Kenny Macleod Pre-sales Questions 3 10-01-2008 10:38 AM
Protecting your models from further modification. Regan Blackett Tips and Tricks 1 03-06-2008 06:01 PM