ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Sales and Services > Pre-sales Questions
Downloads

Pre-sales Questions Want to know more about Flexsim? Ask our existing users!

Old 03-24-2008
Milokovitz

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default C++

I like the 3D graphics of flexism, but I not programmer. How much c++ need know??
Old 03-25-2008
Flexsim Canada, Forum Moderator

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 1
Kris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud of

Milokovitz,

Knowing how to write an if() statement and a for() loop can take you a long way in Flexsim, both of which are covered in the Basic Training Course along with a core set of Flexsim commands. It is helpful to have previous programming experience, however it is not necessary.

I trust others will post their viewpoints.

Kris
Old 03-25-2008
Flexsim User

Downloads: 157
Uploads: 47
Tom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant future

Milokovitz,

I am not a programmer and did not know C++, because I studied business and economics. I try to solve everything with Flexscript because I like to prevent the need of compile. In my eyes it makes modeling faster even it C++ might sometimes a more elegant way of modeling.

I did not really face limits doing it this way. If I can not solve something with Flexscript (which rarely happens and the Flexsript is growing with every new release) I just search in the InterNet, ask the Flexsim community forum or contact the technical support. Normally than I have some code which works and I just use it and did not care if this is C++ or whatever. Who cares as long the code does what he is suppose to do?

I agree with Kris, that it is good to now what is if(), for() and also maybe switch() and while() does and how to use it. It is helpful to have previous programming understanding but it is more learning by doing in my eyes.
I think it is more important to have an understanding for logic and structured thinking and the ability first to solve your problem logically. After having the logical solution of your problem (maybe written down in simple words) the “programming” is just a translation to the model (objects, ports, pick lists, etc.) and the code. I think the first step is the more difficult one.

Good success.
tom the (A)tom

P.S.: Sometimes I wonder what I could be able to do in Flexsim, if I would also know C++ …
Old 03-25-2008
Milokovitz

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Thank you!

Thank you for your replies Kris and Tom. This community site is very nice and helping.
Old 03-27-2008
The Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6
Brandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant future

Milokovitz,

I would agree with Tom and Kris that an individual's knowledge in C++ is far down on the list of importance when it comes to having success with Flexsim. Personally I couldn't write a "Hello World" program in C++ but I've had great success with Flexsim over the past 5+ years.

As to Tom's comments about what would he be able to do with Flexsim if he knew C++. I've personally (with help from Eamonn and AJ) created Flexsim models that:
1. Use a Freeware Dll to do boolean operations on 3D shapes
2. Use a Commercial Dll to communicate with 3 GPS units in real time
3. Use a Commercial Dll to communicate with a DAQ board in real time
4. Using 3 & 4 above control the movement of a hydraulic excavator.

This is not to toot my own horn because I don't find anything that I have done outside the reach of any other motivated person. I mention these so that others can see how powerful Flexsim can be in allowing someone who knows very little to accomplish a lot.

So, in the end C++ isn't necessary but if you do know it there are no limits as to what you can do.

Good Luck,
Brandon
Old 02-17-2009
Flexsim Australia

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 0
Kenny Macleod will become famous soon enoughKenny Macleod will become famous soon enough

Brandon

Using GPS DLL - so would it be possible to track 30 vehicles that move around a 30Km area - as if in a control room situation?

Then have Flexsim running away to determine ways to reschedule the vehicles if one is late?

Kenny
Old 02-17-2009
The Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6
Brandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant future

Kenny,

The GPS DLL was for communicating directly with a GPS unit. What you would be looking for is more of a way to have the truck's informtion updated to a database and then update Flexsim from the data base.

Brandon

Tags
None