ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Sales and Services > Pre-sales Questions
Downloads

Pre-sales Questions Want to know more about Flexsim? Ask our existing users!

Old 03-03-2009
DavidStun

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Modeling Traffic Flow

I have used FlexSim before; however, this was some time ago. Would this software be able to model traffic flow - i.e. traffic leaving city parking lots after work? Would the network feature be able to facilitate this?

Thanks!

-David
Old 03-03-2009
Manager of Product Development

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 4
Anthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

While the Flexsim network node system is a pretty sophisticated mechanism for creating transport networks, it was not designed to simulate road system type traffic patterns in a realistic way. You can use Flexsim's network path system to simulate traffic behavior in a simplistic way (you can use the traffic control object to modify speeds as areas become congested), but simulating detailed traffic systems would involve complex algorithms for lane changing, as well as acceleration and deceleration that is proximity-dependent. These can have significant impacts on the overall behavior of the system, and Flexsim's network node system doesn't take these things into account.

At the same time, I see potential for future development in relation to traffic simulation. In Flexsim CT, simulating the traffic patterns properly is in some cases a priority issue, and I wish Flexsim had mechanisms for doing it better. There are actually a lot of open source solutions available, such as SUMO, which are backed by a lot of research into how traffic systems actually work. I've toyed with the idea of taking something like SUMO and integrating it into Flexsim via a DLL. Then you can get the advanced traffic simulation logic of SUMO, with the usability, 3D capability, and other non-traffic related simulation features of Flexsim (it seems many of these open source simulation pieces leave much to be desired regarding ease in building a simulation model. In SUMO it's all done through text configuration files). But I haven't had any time lately for looking into this option further, so "to be continued...".

I should also include a consulting sales pitch here. Obviously, project work here at Flexsim has a way of pushing things to the top of the development priority list, so if this is a feature that you feel is essential to the success of your project, and you are willing to fund its development, then we'd be glad to work with you on a strategy for simulating a traffic system.

I know I've broken every sales rule here, such as referring you to a potentially competitive product, and telling you that we can't really do exactly what you're looking for, but hey, I'm a developer. I tell it like it is. :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Johnson For This Useful Post:
Brandon Peterson (10-01-2009)
Old 03-11-2009
Administrator

Downloads: 123
Uploads: 2
Bill Nordgren has much to be proud ofBill Nordgren has much to be proud ofBill Nordgren has much to be proud ofBill Nordgren has much to be proud ofBill Nordgren has much to be proud ofBill Nordgren has much to be proud ofBill Nordgren has much to be proud ofBill Nordgren has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Johnson View Post
I know I've broken every sales rule here, such as referring you to a potentially competitive product, and telling you that we can't really do exactly what you're looking for, but hey, I'm a developer. I tell it like it is. :-)
Yes you have. Now go to your room.

At some point we may develop a library that will model traffic efficiently. We are always looking for a project that might get this going.

Tags
None

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Road traffic mallik Q&A 3 09-25-2009 12:55 PM
Modeling non-accumulating conveyor in flexsim Shankar Narayan Q&A 1 02-22-2009 12:04 PM
Modeling Test Failures Derrick Serbonich Q&A 1 02-13-2009 02:47 PM
Modeling container trucks Lin Jincong Q&A 2 08-04-2008 08:36 PM
Can Flexsim be used for modeling human services? Unregistered Pre-sales Questions 1 03-19-2008 06:56 PM