ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 02-17-2008
Flexsim User

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 1
KelvinHo will become famous soon enough
Default send a flowitem from a mobile object to another mobile object

Hi all,

I would like to make these simple scenario:

1.a processor pass a flowitem to a transporter
2.The transporter brings the flowitem to a elevator,
3.The elevator goes upwards to 2nd floor,
4.Another transport in 2nd floor picks the flowitem to another processor in 2nd floor

In 2 & 4, there would be a case that a flowitem is passed from a mobile object to another mobile object. I don know how to do this.

So I tried to place a queue near the elevator and make the flow as : transporter -> queue -> elevator, but I thinks it's not the best solution.

Is there any better solution? Please advice, thx.
Old 02-17-2008
Flexsim User

Downloads: 157
Uploads: 47
Tom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant future

KelvinHo,

There is a model called “Vehicle To Vehicle Transfer” in the Download Section /Models / User Concepts, which shows how to model a flowitem transfer from a taskexecuter to another taskexecuter.

What you are looking for is to use coordinated tasksequences. It’s a little bit tricky the first time to use them, but if you understand how to work with coordinated tasksequences they are really, really powerful.
In my eyes this concept of tasksequences is one feature which makes Flexsim so powerful. None of the simulation packages I worked with in the past are able to build specific models (with task executers likes Operator, ASRSvehicle, Crane, etc.) in such an elegant and flexible way Flexsim does. That’s one of the main reason why I am using Flexsim now.

It’s like in your example. In the other simulators I know the only solution to solve this problem is to put an additional queue in the model. So you already found the “common” solution.

I hope this mentioned model will give you the right hints and help.

Good success
tom the (A)tom
Old 02-20-2008
Flexsim User

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 1
KelvinHo will become famous soon enough

Thanks Tom, it works fine with the situation I stated.

Further to my queston, if i want to transfer a mobile object by another mobile object, e.g.:

1.a processor pass a flowitem to a transporter
2.The transporter brings the flowitem and goes into a elevator,
3.The elevator goes upwards with the transporter to 2nd floor,
4.Transporter goes out the transporter and unload in 2nd floor.
5.Transporter goes down to the elevator and the elevator bring the transporter back to 1/F

It seems more similar to the reality

Regards,
Kelvin
Old 03-02-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0
Mike Goebel is on a distinguished road
Default Expanding the example

Tom, thanks for the reference to the vehicle to vehicle simulation. I would like to add a wrinkle to it. Instead of transfering just one item at a time, I would like the forklift from rail1 to transfer 4 items to the forklift for rail2 before returning to rail2 to drop the 4 items.

I have been modifying the code with what I thought was a simple solution but so far I am not having success. Is there an existing model that shows how to do this or can you elighten me with some code.

Thanks.

Last edited by Mike Goebel; 03-02-2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: got rid of an extraneous and
Old 03-02-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 157
Uploads: 47
Tom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant future

Mike,

I am at a fair in the moment, as you can see in the Flexsim Calendar, so I will only give you a short reply.

It is not really a simple task to do, because there are a few things you need to take care of.

In general what you do is to give the vehicle four times a load task and later four times an unload task. So I guess you will use a for-loop to do this job or four times a load task.
In the model, because it is a load from a taskexecuter to a taskexecuter we will modify the coordinate tasksequence in the Request Transport From in the Conveyor3.

But really important is that your pointers to the flow items are correct. If you want to load 4 items, you need to be sure that all 4 items are available to load them. This can be a little bit tricky on a conveyor if you want to have a transport between the loads.
I would use a Queue to load from and control the output of the queue. If 4 items are in the Queue I would open the output of the Queue, otherwise it will be close.
Be aware, that there is a frload and a load task. Frload is a load from a fixed resource like the Queue. Load is a load from a taskexecuter. See in the manual under tasksequences, what are the differences.

It is really important, that your pointers to the items are correct and that if you dispatch the tasksequence all items are available.

Anyway, I hope I was able to give you the right hints. If you still struggle with your model, please post again and I will see what I can do after the fair.
Old 03-03-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0
Mike Goebel is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks

Thanks Tom. Actually my cohort tried the loop idea but it only picked up 1 flowitem and then just went back and forth 3 times with no flow item. I was tackling the problem another way and the best I could do was to have two flowitems transferred, then the forklift just stopped for some inexplicable reason. However I will try your hint about keeping track of the flow items and making sure all are available before starting the process. Also thanks for verifying that the loop is the proper way to go my cohort will be happy, and of course I won't hear the last of it.

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to display dynamic text next to an object Cliff King Tips and Tricks 4 11-11-2010 01:45 PM
Object Orientated Programming and Inheritance Nico Zahn Q&A 16 12-05-2007 02:13 PM
Object order in the summary report AlanZhang Q&A 4 10-16-2007 05:50 PM
Can the new object like followed explanation be created? syseo Q&A 0 09-23-2007 06:15 AM
How to hide VisualTool object? AlanZhang Q&A 6 09-18-2007 11:22 AM