ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 03-09-2011
Flexsim User

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0
juan alberto is on a distinguished road
Default problem with recycle and restore item

Hi all,

I have a problem with virtual racks.

In my model I create 5 boxes with a label ( "order" ), that it represents the order of creation.

When this boxes entry to the the rack, they become virtual objects.

The problem is when I restore them, the labels don't keep their value before entering to the rack.

For instance, the first box that I create have the label "order" = 1, but when this box is restored the value of it isn't order = 1.

I have the following questions.

1. How I can keep the previous value (label)?
2. and How I can see where flexsim store this labels in the tree when the boxes are virtuals?

I attached my model.
Attached Files
File Type: zip virtual rack.zip (44.1 KB, 144 views)
Old 03-09-2011
Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0
Jason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond repute

Juan, none of that information is cached as far as I can see. The newly 'restored' flowitem gets a new creation time as well.

I expect that the more information you store, the less benefit this virtual mode will have in improved speed. While in virtual mode the drawing speed improves and memory is reduced, by recording specific attribute values for each item you're adding some operations and increasing the memory required again.

If you don't have a vast number of different types, one workaround for now would be to create a different flowitem for each type. Just remember that the creationtinme will be wrong if you're going to do that.

Otherewise it's a matter of creating your own cache of information and restoring it yourself, in which case you might as well write your own version of rackrecycleitem and rackrestoreitem. It does mention in the command help that these techniques are for advanced users, which to me says some extra coding and debugging could be involved if it doesn't meet requirements 'out of the box'.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Lightfoot For This Useful Post:
Brandon Peterson (03-09-2011)

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving item into patient David Chan FlexSim HC: Q&A 6 06-15-2010 08:35 AM
Lowest performance item? Tom David Q&A 2 04-29-2010 02:06 PM
Random pick item KelvinHo Q&A 3 09-03-2009 08:19 AM
Item exiting Queue Lilian_wulp Q&A 1 11-24-2008 02:51 AM
different capacity for different flow item for a same TE KelvinHo Q&A 10 08-28-2008 08:12 AM