ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 11-14-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 0
Dane Lee is on a distinguished road
Default Items are placed in rack

If we set maximum items per cell more than one, the item will be place in rack as fig 1, but we often want it to be placed as fig 2.
How can we realize this function?
Attached Files
File Type: zip screenshots.zip (52.6 KB, 236 views)
Old 11-15-2010
Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 20
Jason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Restackrackcell user function

I've put together this model and a user command restackrackcell which is called by a delayed message on the entry and exit of the rack. It looks like you need to restack the cell when an object leaves (as the default logic relocates some items back to the default). I was planning to only restack on entry, so now that it restacks on exit, we only really need to set the position of the entering item, but for simplicity I've kept it to a single function that positions all items in the location.

The function assumes that in a given location (rack cell) all items are the same size, and uses the cell's space to stack the items. This means you should change the ysize of the rack to say how many deep you can stack. If the space is full it starts stacking in a virtual 'overflow' space outside the rack and sets the color to indicate the virtual overflow rack rank. So if you see colored items coming through it means you've exceeded the physical capacity of the rack at some point.

Update: Revised model to show different sized items and mixed width bays.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version
Name:	ShelfStack.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	1950  
Attached Files
File Type: zip StackInRackCell.zip (58.2 KB, 210 views)

Last edited by Jason Lightfoot; 10-22-2012 at 06:07 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Lightfoot For This Useful Post:
Eleni Liosi (09-04-2014)
Old 11-15-2010
Flexsim Consultant

Jason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I'd better mention that to get a properly constrained rack you'll still need to limit the capacity of bays etc.. There's a related post that might help with that here.
Old 11-18-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 187
Dane Lee is on a distinguished road
Default put style in the rack

when I define the rack property of the rack as follow:
Place in Bay: "First Available Bay Maximum items per cell:3"
Place in Level: "First Available Level Maximum items per cell:3"

Then, the cell will be place in the Y direction. Now I just want them tobe palce in the X direction. I want to know how can I realize this function. IWho decides the place direction of the cell, the transporter or the define of the rack?
If the transporter defines the palce direction, which properties or codes decide it? where can I find it?
If the rack defines the palce direction, which properties or codes decide it? where can I find it?

thanks a lot!
Old 11-19-2010
Flexsim Consultant

It's the pick and place offset functions in the rack class that do that, so you'll not find that information on the Rack instance in the model. These functions do exist in the user space on the BasicFR but then you'd have to provide all the corresponding Rack logic yourself. That's why I provided the solution above.

If your concern with the above solution is to have the TaskExecuter move to exactly the correct location (which is more important for very large bays and levels) then turn off the offset travel for load and unload tasks and to compensate, issue the correct TRAVELTOLOC task before the load/unload task.

Last edited by Jason Lightfoot; 11-19-2010 at 07:03 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Lightfoot For This Useful Post:
Phil BoBo (11-19-2010)

Tags
flowitems, items, rack, shelf, shelves, stack, stacking

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transmitting items Guus de Krom Q&A 6 09-30-2010 09:51 AM
routing items Private Q&A 12 05-13-2010 05:18 AM
How to change the location of items in a rack cell from y to x direction? Tom David Q&A 3 11-23-2008 10:52 AM
Pull items out of a rack BenjaminBuecklein Q&A 1 09-22-2008 03:59 AM
Operator not unloading items before picking up priority items Howe Chiat Cheng Q&A 2 05-28-2008 02:05 AM