ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 07-29-2014
Flexsim User

Downloads: 74
Uploads: 0
Jay Chou is on a distinguished road
Default How to solve this scheduling problem using flexsim?

Hi All :

i'm trying to sovle a scheduling problem ,but i don't have any idea. There are six machines , their Takt Time is: 80 seconds, 40 seconds, 40 seconds, 40 seconds, 40 seconds,40 seconds . A operator carries products from raw materials to processing on the machine. Every time the carrying amount is 20 . At the beginning each machine already have a certain number of products : 10 20 20 20 20 20 .

so, how to determine the transport interval of the operator , to make the WIP lowest meanwhile the machine won't goes down .

I would really appreciate any input! Thank you very much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version
Name:	question.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	2604  
Old 07-30-2014
Flexsim User

Why did no one give me a reply? Did I didn't describe the problem clearly?
Old 07-30-2014
Flexsim User

Downloads: 52
Sebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to behold

Hi, I think you should describe more exactly what you are looking for.
What I understand is, that at the beginning of your model first machine has 10 products and all others have 20. Because your first machine needs 80s for 20 products process will be finished at the very same moment as all other machines.

So what do you want to know?
The question you asked could result in different beginnings:
1. Put queues infront of the machines. So the Operator can do transport while machines are running.
2. Set different starting times for machines, so only one machine will wait.
Old 07-31-2014
Flexsim User

hi Sebastian :

Thanks for your reply. Sorry for my poor English ,i'll try to describe more clearly .

As you see , there are 6 queues before the 6 machines. At the beginning of the model , the first queue have 10 products(item) and the other queues have 20. The first machine need 80s to process one product (item) and the other 5 machines need 40s to process one product(item) . So they all need 800s to finish the process.

The operator is only responsible for transport product(item) from raw material to these 6 queues. And each time , the operator must transport 20 products(item).

Now i want to know how often the operator transport products. eg: Every 100s the operator transport products to these queues , the machines will never stop . But as the model running , the products in these queues will be more and more . If every 600s the operator transport products to these queues , the products in these queues will be very litter ,but maybe some machine will stop (wait for item) which is not allowed in this model .

So how to determine the time interval to make the products in these queues as litter as possible meanwhile the machine will never stop(wait for item) ?

I'm not sure i describe clearly ,if not ,let me know .

Thank you very mush !
Old 08-05-2014
Flexsim User

Downloads: 52
Sebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to behold

Hi Jay,
so what I understand is, that your Operator is able to carry 20 products and you only want to know, how often (possibly also when) he has to do the Transport.

What you can do is to look for the filling in your Queues and influence this.

My idea would be to build a source and a (Source-) Queue which supply the 6 Queues and only measure how often this Sourcequeue released items.
Then you can calculate the average or show absolute expression as tracked variable.

Last edited by Sebastian Hemmann; 08-05-2014 at 03:00 AM.

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scheduling Software Bill Nordgren Q&A 6 02-19-2013 07:51 PM
newbie question about scheduling transporters Victor Monell Q&A 2 03-28-2009 10:58 AM
simple scheduling function? Ning Wang Q&A 5 01-16-2009 11:00 AM
Problem with Flexsim 4.1 and Access DB Martin Saler Q&A 0 04-03-2008 05:16 AM
Flexsim CT Verson 1.5 prerelease problem qin tian Container Terminal (CT) Library 2 03-24-2008 09:31 AM