ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 08-19-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 0
Anthony Timmiss will become famous soon enoughAnthony Timmiss will become famous soon enough
Default Batch Processor?

Is there a batch processor in Flexsim?

I need to model a processor that waits to receive 4 parts from a conveyor, processes them and then pushes them to another conveyor.

I know I could combine them together before hand and then separate them afterwards but I wondered if there was a more simple solution. When I use Witness there is an option to change a processor from a General Processor to a Batch Processor.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Anthony
Old 08-19-2009
Simulation Consultant

Downloads: 18
Rachid Kolfin will become famous soon enoughRachid Kolfin will become famous soon enough
Default Batch Processor?

Hi Anthony,

Perhaps it would be a good idea not to use a processor but to use a queue. The queue has the option "Perform batching". In this case the queue will not release the items until the batch has been completed. Of course you can give the queue another visual shape.

Good luck,

Rachid Kolfin
Old 08-19-2009
Flexsim User

Anthony Timmiss will become famous soon enoughAnthony Timmiss will become famous soon enough

Thanks but how do you allocate a processing time to the queue? The queue has to simulate processing the parts. I had thought about using a queue but can't find any where to add a delay time to hold the parts.
Old 08-19-2009
Simulation Consultant

Downloads: 18
Rachid Kolfin will become famous soon enoughRachid Kolfin will become famous soon enough
Default Batch Processor?

Anthony,

You could use a delayed message and close the output for the right amount of time. You can use the "OnEndcollecting" trigger for this. Then on the OnMessage trigger you only have to open the output again. Maybe it is also a good idea to close the input of the queue while processing.

Good luck,

Rachid Kolfin
The Following User Says Thank You to Rachid Kolfin For This Useful Post:
Anthony Timmiss (08-19-2009)
Old 08-19-2009
The Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6
Brandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant future

Anthony,

The standard method for doing what you want is to use a Queue to batch the items and then to use a processor to process the items. You can set the max content of the Processor to four so that it will process the items all at once.

Good Luck,
Brandon
Old 08-19-2009
Flexsim User

Thanks Brandon I know this now, this is how I have set my model to run. I did try it but didn't think it was working properly as the processor does not show all 4 parts it only shows 1.

Perhaps this is something that could be improved or at least an option made available to show all the parts?

Thanks

Anthony
Old 08-19-2009
The Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6
Brandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant future

Anthony,

If you want all four to be visible try putting this into your on entry code:

setloc(item, xloc(item), -ysize(item) * (getrank(item) - 1), zloc(item));

or

setloc(item, xloc(item), yloc(item), zloc(item) + (zsize(item) * (getrank(item) - 1)));

This should space out your flowitems so that you can see them.

Good Luck,
Brandon
Old 08-19-2009
Flexsim Development

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 18
Thanked 1,483 Times in 525 Posts
Phil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond repute

This may be redundant, but the Combiner object is a batch processor. If you set its mode to "Batch" rather than the default of "Combine" and connect the upstream conveyor to it twice, you can easily use a combiner as a batch processor with a single object and no code. Attached is an example.
Attached Files
File Type: zip BatchProcessor.zip (34.7 KB, 245 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phil BoBo For This Useful Post:
Jörg Vogel (08-19-2009)

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Batch from Queue and capacity of operator Michael Pohl Q&A 3 05-18-2009 01:42 AM
Batch production (Batch size for processor) Patrick Cap Q&A 12 03-27-2009 12:14 AM
Batch/Max Content Gavin Douglas Q&A 4 07-09-2008 12:28 AM
Start Flexsim and model from externally via a batch file Tom David Q&A 3 09-12-2007 03:17 PM
creating a batch trip task sequence Paul Dowling Q&A 5 09-11-2007 06:55 PM