ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 05-13-2012
Flexsim User

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
David Platt is on a distinguished road
Default Avoiding collisions with dynamically placed fixed resources

I am new to Flexsim and am looking for a good example of a model where an operator (task executor) uses collision to avoid dynamically placed fixed resources (a queue).
Problem Description:
I have a Pick to Light production line of 120 pick stations, each pick station is fed by a 1m feeder (in this case a queue). We have 10 extensions (also 1m long queues) which get added to the busiest feeders at the start of each production run.
All of the feeders are replenished by operators who pick replenishment stock off pallets and place it on the feeders. There are 2 replenishment operators who manage the whole line.
I could use network nodes and paths to direct the operators but would have to draw the network each new production run as the position of the extension feeders changes. What I was hoping to use is the collision handling capability to enable the replenishment operators to move around the extension feeders rather than walk through them. I have tried to use the collision but could get it to function and was unable to find out why from the manual.
Old 05-14-2012
Flexsim User

Downloads: 8
Jens Mühlheimer will become famous soon enoughJens Mühlheimer will become famous soon enough

I think it would be best if you could upload your model, because the explanation is quite complex and specific.

In general: Only Taskexecuter-Items can have collision spheres and no other objects.
As far as I understand, the best option would be to draw multiple network nodes, like a rectangular grid and set the networknode connections to nonpassing depending on where your queues are.

Note the green / yellow dots
Old 05-14-2012
Talumis, Flexsim Distributor, The Netherlands

Downloads: 43
Steven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely go for the path solution. Simply make the complete path with 2 nodes connected to your feeders (1 for the short one and the other for the long 1). You have to create and place the extensions anyway so if you let your operator go to the right extension it will automatically follow the correct path and you don't have to do anything with the pathnetwork. And if you need to do something use either close and open connections or use the defaultdragconnection command.

Reasons for doing it that way are:
1. This is much, much and I mean much simpler
2. Using the collisions detection makes your model slow, especially with a few operators. If you want to be accurate you have to test for a collision every second or maybe even faster that means that every second you place a number of events on the event list that have to be dealt with.
Old 05-15-2012
Flexsim User

Downloads: 4
David Platt is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the advice, I will avoid collision detection and layout a rectangular path network which I will then manage by restricting access in given directions.
Thanks

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dynamically assigning 3D shapes to flowitems Iulian Marin Ion Q&A 9 08-05-2013 08:17 PM
Basic Fixed resource does not pull from source ot another FR Shahin Gelareh Q&A 1 02-02-2012 01:42 AM
Resource fraction / part time resources Stefan Trabut Q&A 2 06-04-2011 04:43 AM
Operator Utilized During Fixed Resource Breakdown Ramez Tadros Q&A 19 08-16-2010 07:03 PM
Dynamically populate the timetable Gleny Rodriguez Q&A 1 03-10-2010 05:42 PM