ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 06-28-2011
Flexsim User

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Susan Pevovar is on a distinguished road
Default Line Calling possible in Flexsim?

Hi,
I am wondering if such an object in FlexSIM exists that we can simulate processing objects within a queue. It sounds a little weird, but we are trying to simulate the "line-calling" process (i.e. someone takes your order in line, thus creating work, but you are still waiting in line for your subsequent processes to be finished). So, if you have people moving through a queue, they can be "worked" on, yet retain their place in line. Any thoughts around this? We tried creating invidual processors and a queue, using send mesages to open and close ports, etc, but that didn't quite work as desired. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Susan
Old 06-29-2011
Talumis, Flexsim Distributor, The Netherlands

Downloads: 43
Steven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried looking at the multiprocessor? You could model every process as a position in line and for instance based on a rank define if a process time is 0 (which effectively means it moves to the next position)
Old 06-29-2011
Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 20
Jason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond repute

Susan this model might help. After the strict queue of order taking is processed, a more loose queue is made until the order is completed. In that model there are 4 'strict' queues running in parallel.

Edit: Seems this model wasn't as far developed as I thought and didn't do as I said here, hence the model below.

Last edited by Jason Lightfoot; 06-29-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-29-2011
Flexsim Consultant

Jason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond repute

I updated it to generate the secondary task of preparing a beverage. It's still just the start of an approach you could take.

Currently if the task time to prepare the beverage (defined in the usercommand) is too quick it can cause problems as it's that task that releases a customer to collection point without checking if they've finished paying or that they've travelled to the waiting position.
Attached Files
File Type: fsm FastService_3.fsm (94.8 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by Jason Lightfoot; 06-29-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-29-2011
Flexsim User

Downloads: 0
Susan Pevovar is on a distinguished road

Thanks Jason. I feel like the elements of the model that you assisted on, I have pretty much taken care of. (though I do like the idea of a multprocessor for ordering and tendering processes instead of individual ones). We were able to simulate a line calling process (i.e. having an operator going out to the line and taking orders while the customers still retain their place in line) with the model by creating a "pre-order" and "post-order" queue and modifying their max content. However, while this serves its purpose, visually it doesn't look very realistic. We want the operator to walk up to the people in the Queue and process them. Does that make sense?

Thanks again!
-Susan
Old 06-29-2011
Flexsim Canada, Forum Moderator

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 1
Kris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud of
Default Fast Food

The attached model might be a little different. It contains a single customer queue. The OnResourceAvailable of the operator eventually calls a user command to take orders from customers in line... if not busy at their station.

There are 4 different order types. A global table is used to define what components each order consists of. Order component items are sent through different processes in the kitchen, then combined as a completed order for a specific customer. Note that the customer is colored based on the order type, and the completed order item shows the color of the last component to be completed for the given order. So they will not necessarily match.

The PullRequirements of the combiners have custom code to combine components into orders and deliver them to the correct customer.

I assumed that the operator takes orders and receives payment. The kitchen staff (not physically represented) does everything else including delivering the completed order to the customer.

Cycle times are GlobalMacros, see Global Variables.

I'm sure it needs refinement, but it may give you some ideas.
Attached Files
File Type: fsm FastFood1.fsm (53.8 KB, 103 views)
Old 06-29-2011
Flexsim Consultant

Aha! Kris and I overlap again.

Here's the operator taking the order from the queue. The task to take the order is generated on the sendToPort pick option of the queue.

Jason

btw. I send the behind-the-counter operators to the dispatcher to indicate the preparation phase (in case that wasn't obvious)
Attached Files
File Type: fsm LineCalling.fsm (81.3 KB, 112 views)

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calling COM Components from within Flexsim Samuel Jack Q&A 6 05-12-2011 09:36 AM
Line Up transporters shafizad Q&A 3 01-26-2011 09:46 PM
Rework on line Derrick Serbonich Q&A 6 03-11-2009 01:33 PM
Keep calling the same operator for transport Jorge Toucet Q&A 3 11-05-2008 01:27 PM