ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 12-11-2015
Talumis, Flexsim Distributor, The Netherlands

Downloads: 43
Uploads: 0
Steven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond repute
Default ProcessFlow Release

Hi Guys,

I was working on a process flow model and I couldn't get this problem solved so I made a small model but it still had the same problem. I want to first acquire a next resource before I release the first. I can't get it to work. I attached the process flow model and a screenshot.

I hope somebody can help me out (or I have found a bug ;-))
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version
Name:	ProcessFlowProblem.png
Views:	392
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	3128  
Attached Files
File Type: fsm TestModelWithRelease.fsm (23.3 KB, 306 views)
Old 12-11-2015
Manager of Product Development

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 4
Anthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

First off, in the release activity, under Resource(s) to Release, you need to choose one of the standard options like Last Acquired or First Acquired.

Second, when using resources in numeric mode, if you assign everything to the same label and the acquire quantities are the same, there's no guarantee that they will be returned in the order that you desire. The result is that whether you choose Last Acquired or First Acquired, the Release1 activity will always release back to Resource1. The solution is to simply assign the acquired resources to different label names, i.e. the first Acquire should assign the acquired resource to Label: resource, while the second Acquire should assign the acquired resource to Label: resource1. The releases should subsequently release from the label associated with the corresponding acquired resource.

We have tried to find solutions for this but we haven't felt like any of our proposed solutions were robust enough to warrant implementation. The under-the-hood logistics are a bit complicated. The token keeps track of which resources have been acquired onto which labels and what their quantities are, but when a single label has been assigned two different resources with the same quantity, it becomes difficult to decipher which one is the best one to release.

It looks like you tried to reference the resource object you wanted to release back to in the Resource(s) to Release field. Perhaps we could add that as a feature, where if you return a reference to a resource object, it will release whatever has been acquired from that resource on the given label.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthony Johnson For This Useful Post:
Steven Hamoen (12-11-2015)
Old 12-11-2015
Talumis, Flexsim Distributor, The Netherlands

Downloads: 43
Uploads: 0
Steven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Anthony,

Sorry I should have read the manual first. This is a quite a different ball game then normal Flexsim. But if I open a GUI and I see: "Resource(s) to release" I expect that I have to enter a pointer to a resource that I want to release. Maybe that is just the "conditioning" that has taken place over the years :-)

So maybe my solution I tried is not so smart when you know that you have to take the label into account..... Anyway I leave that up to you. Btw the reason for getting this code there and not using one of the options, was that I used the eyedropper to select an object
The Following User Says Thank You to Steven Hamoen For This Useful Post:
Anthony Johnson (12-11-2015)

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FlexTerm 1.0 Release AlanZhang Container Terminal (CT) Library 5 11-27-2013 11:43 AM
Need FS V 5.0.0 First Release Gleny Rodriguez Installation 2 06-04-2010 02:28 PM
Release schedule Roland Tainton Q&A 3 03-17-2009 05:46 AM