ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 04-08-2008
Flexsim User

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 1
KelvinHo will become famous soon enough
Default Flownode problem

Hi all,

I would like to make a simulation of a canteen.

For the customer as flowitem, I would like them to go through various places of the canteen, e.g. go to cashier to buy food, go for a seat and eat, then leave

Since there is multi cashiers and seats, and for the flowitem to travel without transporter, should I use flow node? However, it would be an easier job if I just build a network with network node and let the flowitem to find the shortest route, but this situation seems only work for transportor..

Is there any solution?

Kelvin
Old 04-09-2008
Flexsim User

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 4
Nico Zahn has a spectacular aura aboutNico Zahn has a spectacular aura about

Maybe this could be helpful for your problem..

http://www.flexsim.com/community/for...read.php?t=156

You can remove Operators / Transporters from the network an use them as flowitems...
Old 04-09-2008
Talumis, Flexsim Distributor, The Netherlands

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 0
Martijn van Oostenbrugge is a name known to allMartijn van Oostenbrugge is a name known to allMartijn van Oostenbrugge is a name known to allMartijn van Oostenbrugge is a name known to allMartijn van Oostenbrugge is a name known to allMartijn van Oostenbrugge is a name known to all

I didn't have a look at Nico's model, but you can use as a flowitem "TaskExecuterFlowItems". They can travel along a network. To make use of them select the "Use Tranport" and select the "TaskExecuter as Flowitem" in the "Request Transport From" picklist.

Martijn
The Following User Says Thank You to Martijn van Oostenbrugge For This Useful Post:
KelvinHo (04-15-2008)
Old 04-09-2008
Flexsim Technical Support

Downloads: 60
Uploads: 5
Brenton King is a name known to allBrenton King is a name known to allBrenton King is a name known to allBrenton King is a name known to allBrenton King is a name known to allBrenton King is a name known to all

I'm not sure what a canteen is. I always thought it was a water container but I guess there is a fast food restaurant called that somewhere. Anyway, take a look at the new X_Supermarket model. It uses TEflowitems to go shopping and then checkout at the cashier.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brenton King For This Useful Post:
KelvinHo (04-15-2008)
Old 04-09-2008
The Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6
Brandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant future

Kelvin,

Martijn and Brenton both touched on the easiest way to simulate your situaiton. When you use the TaskExucuter Flowitem the way that Martijn suggested the flowitems / people will use the network the same way that a transport or operator would. The main difference is that you can't connect them to the network first because they don't exist yet. The good news is that the the Use Transport pick list code Martijn said to use will do this for you.

The one draw back to doing it this way is that the send to port and pull from port code still determine where your people will go. this means that if you have three lines for customer, one at each cash register, if someone where to get in one line and still be waiting when another line went completely empty they would not be able to switch lines and go to the other cash register. That may or may not be an issue for you but it is at least something to keep in mind.

Good Luck with the model,
Brandon
Old 04-15-2008
Flexsim User

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 1
KelvinHo will become famous soon enough

Thanks! I just used the concept in the X_Supermarket model and it works well.