ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 02-16-2013
Flexsim User

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
brett forbes is on a distinguished road
Red face Fluid modelling strategy question

Hi,

I want to model a coal seam gas well, with associated processing network, and wonder if someone can help answer a simple question on the best approach.

Essentially, the well produces a combined stream of water and methane (CH4) in different proportions on a daily basis. At the begining, the well produces mostly water with a small percentage of water, and over time these propotions change until the well produces mostly CH4 and little water.

Immediately downstream from the well is a dewatering unit, which splits the combined stream into a separate water stream and a CH4 stream, each of which then flow down their respective processing networks (i.e. pipes, processors and reservoirs for each type of stream).

Assume I have a database of daily H2O and CH4 volumes, and I believe I understand how to read these values and change the parameters of the Fluid Generator appropriately (e.g. set Initial Product and output rates on a daily basis).

The question is, how do I split the stream so that the water and the CH4 go into different networks?

The Splitter fixed resource appears to split a mixture, into different proportions of the same mixture based on a percentage (e.g. 70% of the mixture down one side, 30% down the other). Thus, the two different pipes will both have the same mixture inside them, but with different volumetric proportions.

Yet this is not what I want, as I want to split based on the material type not the percentage, so the mixture separates into two pure streams. How can i do this using the fluid library elements?

Please advise.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2013
Flexsim User

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
brett forbes is on a distinguished road
Talking Problem Solved, see Tips and Tricks

Hi,

I have solved my own problem and have posted a full description of how to achieve automated, realistic pipe layout in the Tips and Tricks section.

I hope this link below is persistant, if not you will have to use the menu to get there.

/threads/thread2457.html#post11436

Thanks

Brett

Tags
fluid library, split on mixture

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to change the output strategy of a queue ? mearjun Q&A 1 10-15-2012 11:02 PM
Mix Pull and Push Strategy MoserGaudenz Q&A 1 06-23-2011 03:29 AM
Modelling Equations Albert Munoz Q&A 3 10-14-2010 02:10 AM
Modelling a 12-joint robot! Kenny Macleod Q&A 4 07-20-2010 11:30 AM