ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Installation
Downloads

Installation Installation, licensing and hardware issues

Old 05-31-2011
Flexsim Distributor

Downloads: 74
Uploads: 0
David Chan has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Chan has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Chan has a spectacular aura about
Default Instruction for activating Standalone FlexNet license

Hi

I have just prepared this for someone. I am posting here and hope that it could benefit others too.

Regards

David
Old 08-28-2013
Flexsim Distributor

David Chan has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Chan has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Chan has a spectacular aura about
Smile Activation of LAN license on Virtual Machine

Hi

I have been searching for long time for information on the area as I have a number of academic clients who want to use VM to host the license. Finally I got the information from this website http://kb.palisade.com/index.html#p4. So I would like to share with the rest of you who are having the same issues.

"The server must be an actual Windows-based machine, not a virtual machine and not any sort of Windows emulation. If running a virtual server is a requirement, we need a certificate-based license."

After reading a few articles, trusted storage license is not for VM.

Therefore if VM is necessary, a license file is could be obtained from Flexsim support manually using flexsimservactutil.exe. The procedure is shared in http://youtu.be/tpf7e8pdqjw. (Note: I am not sure about the part as whether the license file (xml) generated by FlexSim Support is the same as the certificate based license mentioned above. Sorry!)

I hope this useful for all of us who is using VM.

Regards

David

Last edited by David Chan; 08-28-2013 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Trusted_storage_license, VM
Old 08-28-2013
Flexsim Development

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 18
Thanked 1,483 Times in 525 Posts
Phil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond repute

The manual activation procedure you showed in that video is how you activate a license into trusted storage without an internet connection. The license is still stored in trusted storage instead of a license file.

The response xml file generated by FlexSim Support is not a license file.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phil BoBo For This Useful Post:
David Chan (08-29-2013)
Old 08-29-2013
Flexsim Distributor

Phil

Thanks for correcting.

Can I say that there is no way to use Virtual Machine for trusted storage?

David
Old 08-29-2013
Flexsim Development

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 18
Thanked 1,483 Times in 525 Posts
Phil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond repute

Using a virtual machine for a trusted storage concurrent server may or may not work. We haven't tested it, and we never designed it to work in a virtual environment. Based on your experience, it probably does not work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phil BoBo For This Useful Post:
David Chan (08-30-2013)
Old 09-03-2013
Flexsim Distributor

Hi!

I have another problem now after moving the license to a physical server running on Window Server 2000. There is no firewall to the server.

The activayion is fine but client could not grasp license. The license server is running fine and services are up. Tried to Telnet to the server. It seems fine. But no matter what it is set, I just could not grasp license.

Any suggestion?

David
Old 09-03-2013
Flexsim User

Downloads: 35
Jörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond repute

Hello David,

are you really sure that you have deactivated the system build-in firewall. We run the lmadmin license manager on an windows server 2008 probably even on a virtual machine, that isn't sure. The licenses are in trusted storage on the server and I have to build exceptions in the firewall for the Flexsim deamon "flexsim.exe", the incoming static port to connect to the deamon and the static outgoing port. Because I didn't know wether the protocol is tcp or udp I build for each protocol an exception.
Our license server is itself behind a firewall and all user have to be inside this firewall. They connect to this network over a virtual private network and receive their license.
But the students have to build in their firewalls the exceptions on their own. the one to the license server and the one back. Each have their own port. They have to start Flexsim with administration rights. Only with this rights the concurrent license server and its port is written in a registry key in the system. The syntax is "static port@server".

We want only the current students to receive licenses, therefore we set a LM_PROJECT variable in the license option file. We change this variable periodically.

Jörg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jörg Vogel For This Useful Post:
David Chan (09-03-2013)
Old 09-03-2013
Flexsim Distributor

Jorg

Thanks for sharing.

But you have mentioned that we need to go something on the students (clients) end. What is the file that we should put as exception?

Also how do we set LM_PROJECT in the license option file? Where can I find the option?

Thanks
Old 09-04-2013
Flexsim User

Downloads: 35
Jörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond repute

Hello David,

Your Students will use a firewall of their own, too. Typically they don't know that. It is the build-in Firewall of Windows or from another distributer. So they have to set going in and going out exceptions. For a test they can shut down their firewall. But it isn't a good behaviour for a stable system.

The LM_PROJECT option is a option. You find more information in the online help of lmadmin or in the document of the license manager from flexera.
Jörg
Old 09-04-2013
Flexsim Distributor

Jorg

Thanks again. From the document, that means we can actually modify the license file. Am I right?

Tags
flexnet, standalone

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I reset Flexnet license manager password? David Chan Installation 7 06-28-2011 07:48 PM
Network license through VPN AlanZhang Installation 8 10-27-2010 07:58 AM
Flexnet michaelsmith Installation 12 11-09-2009 08:16 AM