ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 01-29-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0
Neil Brandon is on a distinguished road
Default Pick window on conveyor.

Hello all -

Most of the things I simulated involve having a robot pick products off of a conveyor. 90% of the time, the product is moving when I pick it.

I'd like to simulate a "pick window" on the conveyor. In other words, I'd like to pick product on a certain zone of the conveyor, but nothing before or afterwards.

I've tried doing this with photoeyes and messages (have photoeyes place items in a queue), but the photoeyes don't have the resolution to detect every product on the conveyor.

Does anyone have a good idea how to solve this problem?

Thanks,
Neil
Old 01-29-2009
Flexsim Development

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 18
Thanked 1,483 Times in 525 Posts
Phil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond repute

Attached is one example of how this can be done in Flexsim by using the BasicConveyor.

Basically, it releases the item at a certain decision point and then at the next decision point, it holds the item if it hasn't requested a transport yet.

That way the transport can only pull items off in a certain window.

The decision points are representative not of the entire window, but of the window at which the transport begins to go get the item.

The quirks with the model are that it will only work if sending to an object that will only receive one item at a time (such as another conveyor or a queue or processor with content of 1), and the visualization. The transport travels to the location where he was requested originally rather than where the flowitem actually is when the transport arrives. It would require more complicated logic to get the visualization to look correct.

This is a great example of a starting point in how to use the BasicConveyor. It shows what functions to call to receive and release items and get them conveying. The BasicConveyor object gives you great flexibility in controlling conveyor behavior.

The model has been posted to the downloads section.

http://www.flexsim.com/community/for...do=file&id=201

Last edited by Anthony Johnson; 02-03-2009 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Moved the model to the downloads section
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phil BoBo For This Useful Post:
Neil Brandon (01-31-2009)
Old 02-04-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 22
tobias.biemueller is on a distinguished road

The download of the Sample doesnt work. I got everytime the message:

Warning: copy(downloads//ec_tmp/Sample_BasicConveyor.zip) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in [path]/downloads.php on line 701
ERROR: File not found.

regards Tobias
Old 02-02-2013
Flexsim User

Downloads: 147
zhang xin is on a distinguished road

hi, I downloaded the model and tested it in flexsim 6. But it seems the pick window doesn't work correctly.
After an item passed the pick window, it still was picked by the robot, why?
You can set colors for items to see the effect.
Old 02-02-2013
Flexsim User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhang xin View Post
hi, I downloaded the model and tested it in flexsim 6. But it seems the pick window doesn't work correctly.
After an item passed the pick window, it still was picked by the robot, why?
You can set colors for items to see the effect.
I upload the file here. I only change the color of item.
Attached Files
File Type: fsm BasicConveyorExample.fsm (38.1 KB, 86 views)
Old 02-03-2013
Flexsim User

I think i understand the logic now. This model cannot meet my requirement. I need a real pick window defined by two decision points. an operator will pick items in the pick window to a buffer. How to implement this logic? thanks in advance.
The Following User Says Thank You to zhang xin For This Useful Post:
alexcater (06-25-2013)
Old 02-04-2013
Flexsim User

Downloads: 14
CanitrotCex is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem than you. Here is my solution. Let me know if you have any question.
Attached Files
File Type: fsm SMR.fsm (47.3 KB, 81 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to CanitrotCex For This Useful Post:
zhang xin (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013
Flexsim User

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil BoBo View Post
Attached is one example of how this can be done in Flexsim by using the BasicConveyor.

Basically, it releases the item at a certain decision point and then at the next decision point, it holds the item if it hasn't requested a transport yet.

That way the transport can only pull items off in a certain window.

The decision points are representative not of the entire window, but of the window at which the transport begins to go get the item.

The quirks with the model are that it will only work if sending to an object that will only receive one item at a time (such as another conveyor or a queue or processor with content of 1), and the visualization. The transport travels to the location where he was requested originally rather than where the flowitem actually is when the transport arrives. It would require more complicated logic to get the visualization to look correct.

This is a great example of a starting point in how to use the BasicConveyor. It shows what functions to call to receive and release items and get them conveying. The BasicConveyor object gives you great flexibility in controlling conveyor behavior.

The model has been posted to the downloads section.

http://www.flexsim.com/community/for...do=file&id=201
Dear Phil, I tested the model with flexsim 6.0.2, and found that the second decision point(HoldItem) had never been triggered, and the model didn't work as it is supposed to, any idea?
Old 02-04-2013
Flexsim User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanitrotCex View Post
I had the same problem than you. Here is my solution. Let me know if you have any question.
Thank you, CanitrotCex. I see your model. I am not very sure if I understand your model completely. My requirement is that when an item passed the pick area, the operator cannot catch up it. So, different density of items on the conveyor will result in different pick capability. Could your model achieve this?
Old 02-04-2013
Flexsim User

Downloads: 14
CanitrotCex is on a distinguished road

In my model, each manipulator takes the first box which is in its defined area. Try to increase the inter-arrival time to see the difference.

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flexsim beginners are sometimes just amazing (Rack - Pick Operator) Tom David Q&A 1 12-05-2008 10:35 AM
Set Window position and size Nico Zahn Q&A 5 09-03-2008 02:09 PM
about "no select" and "show parameter window from side bar" qin tian Gripes and Goodies 3 03-21-2008 08:10 AM