ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 03-31-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Shanon Loughton is on a distinguished road
Default How to queue transporters at destination?

HI all

Currently, if you have:
1) a queue
2) connected to a processor with processor max content = 1,
3) use transporter between the queue and processor

Then the transporter will take an item from the queue, unload at processor, wait there for it to finish, then receive another task sequence to pick up again at the queue. The transporter doesnt just drop it off and immediately head back to the queue unless you increase the processor max content (and therefore maintaining an open inport for the processor).

I couldnt find in the manual, but I guess theres a rule that a Fixed Resource doesnt dispatch a standard load/travel task sequence until the downstream port is open?

Having said that, how can you dispatch in any case even if the downstream port is blocked, and the transporter just waits at the blocked port?
Old 03-31-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 157
Uploads: 47
Tom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant future

I will answer this question here, because I get it also quite often as a support questions. But to be honest, it shows me that the people did not join a training class ( I always explain this in my training class before I explain tasksequences) or did not understand the concept of taskexecuter in Flexsim. Sorry, if this sounds very impolite now.

Anyway, the main thing to keep in mind with taskexecuter in Flexsim in my eyes is that they are a kind of help resources (not sure if this is a good English phrase). The main material flow goes through the resources (Queue, Processors, etc.). The taskexecuter (Operator, Transporter, Crane, Robot, etc.) are just resources to do the transport. Therefore the resources are (normally) connected with input and output ports and the taskexecuter with central ports.

If the downstream object is not ready to receive an item, the tasksequence for the transporter will not be generated, because the item is not ready to leave.

In my eyes, if you want the transporter to bring the next item to the processor, then in the real world also must be space for this item. So I would guess that just another Queue (additional) need to place closed to the Processor with the capacity it has in the real world, which I would guess will be in the most cases capacity 1.

Another scenario which is found very often is that the transporter will travel back to the feeding Queue. This can be easily done with a pick option (Travel to an Object Destination) in the OnUnload Trigger of the taskexecuter.
In many cases I get the questions, why is this not Flexsim Standard, that the taskexecuter travels back to the Queue. Easy answer: If you have two feeding Queues, to which he should travel back? How can this be standard?

Then normally the following question for the following scenario will be asked. What if the Operator travels back, takes the next item and travels to the processor again and waits until the Processor is empty?
This in my eyes can be done with tasksequences. But you need to be careful to do this, because you need to check if the next item has already arrived to generate the tasksequence. Another way could be to generate the transport tasksequence if an item arrives. I see different possibilities to solve this task.
But in my eyes the additional Queue close to the Processor is the way to go and you could control this Queue or the taskexecuter a bit and you can build various scenarios with or without generating own tasksequences, I guess.
But in my experience just the additional Queue seems to be a good solution.

Shanon, good thinking:
Quote:
I couldnt find in the manual, but I guess theres a rule that a Fixed Resource doesnt dispatch a standard load/travel task sequence until the downstream port is open?
You were on the right track.

I hope everything is much clearer now and I hope that people who discover this issue will find this thread.

Last edited by Tom David; 03-31-2009 at 06:08 AM. Reason: typing errors
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tom David For This Useful Post:
Steven Hamoen (03-31-2009)

Tags
blocked, executer, operator, queue, task, taskexecuter, tasksequence, transporter

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
a question on queue KelvinHo Q&A 15 11-09-2011 07:16 AM
Pulling from a Queue vs Sorting the Queue Brandon Peterson Tips and Tricks 3 03-03-2010 01:27 AM
newbie question about scheduling transporters Victor Monell Q&A 2 03-28-2009 10:58 AM
make transporters cycle a specific path bsantens Q&A 4 10-21-2008 08:08 AM
Queue Sorting Jeff Nordgren Q&A 12 05-22-2008 03:21 PM