ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 03-25-2013
Flexsim Distributor

Downloads: 74
Uploads: 0
David Chan has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Chan has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Chan has a spectacular aura about
Default Import GIS data

Hi

I remember someone has asked this question about importing GIS data (for map) into FlexSim. Anyone could advise me the possibility and the approach?

David
Old 03-25-2013
Flexsim Development

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 18
Thanked 1,483 Times in 525 Posts
Phil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond repute

You can usually import GIS data into AutoCAD and then export it as a dwg to import into Flexsim. We did that for a project that used GIS data.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phil BoBo For This Useful Post:
David Chan (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013
Flexsim User

Downloads: 0
brett forbes is on a distinguished road
Cool Simple GIS Layout

Hi,

I use GIS layout in my model, and implementing it in Flexscript is pretty basic, once you are aware of how the two location systems interact.

Firstly, GIS coordinates are usually given as Eastings and Northings, which represent the distance in metres from a known reference point. If your coordinates are in longitude and latitude or some other format, there are a host of converters to bring it back to eastings and northings.

A GIS coordinate is usually given as the bottom-left hand corner of an object, when viewed on aerial photograph.

To use these coordinates you first need to develop your own lcoal reference point, rather than using the embedded reference point. For this, you need to consider an aerial photo of your layout, and get a GIS reference for the bottom-left hand corner of your photo, or your site (xref, yref).

Then the flexsim grid locations can be evaluated for any GIS point (myx, myy) by subtracting the figures from your reference point, so that:
FlexsimLocalx = myx -xref
FlexsimLocaly = myy -yref

Since the reference point is in the bottom left hand corner then any point in your GIS scheme will alsways have a larger x and y than the reference.

This scheme is complicated by the fact that Flexsim uses the upper left hand corner for its location references. What this means is that if the thing your placing has dimensions of xwidth and yheight, then you need to modify the formulas above, so that:
FlexsimLocalx = myx -xref
FlexsimLocaly = myy -yref + yheight

Using this approach enables you to correctly layout all GIS coordinate based objects to their correct location.

I note that pipe and conveyor layout are more complicated as the start point is set as above, but the finish point is set out in the section table, and thus you need to translate the absolute location of the finish point into a relative location (i.e. set of lengths and angles) based on the start point.

This scheme has some limits imposed by the curvature of the earth, and a more sophisticated approach is necessary for very large layouts. However, my layout is 15km x 30km at the 1m resolution and the above approach works fine for me.

Brett
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brett forbes For This Useful Post:
Phil BoBo (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013
Talumis, Flexsim Distributor, The Netherlands

Downloads: 43
Steven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond repute

If you working with different axis system, check out the vectorproject functions that are available for you. That makes these operations usually a lot easier.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steven Hamoen For This Useful Post:
brett forbes (04-03-2013)

Tags
gis, map

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Change of Import Model Data UI, Duc Nguyen Container Terminal (CT) Library 0 03-08-2012 02:33 AM
Excel Data Import Sung Kim Q&A 2 07-16-2010 10:41 AM
data import question Ning Wang Q&A 4 10-09-2008 11:24 AM
Import of data in schedule of a source Matthias Hofmann Q&A 3 10-07-2008 09:30 AM
Problems with import of data from a database Matthias Hofmann Q&A 1 09-26-2008 09:42 AM