ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 11-22-2007
Flexsim Super Moderator

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 0
AlanZhang is a jewel in the roughAlanZhang is a jewel in the roughAlanZhang is a jewel in the rough
Default Version control of Flexsim model

Has anybody thought of version control of the Flexsim model? A few good and free version control tools are available on the internet, for example, CVS and SubVersion. However, these are basically good at comparing text files. Since Flexsim can import and export XML model, which is a text file, we could apply version control tools to the Flexsim XML model. Version control is very useful if multiple people working on the same model, or even one person but having many model versions. Just want to know if anyone has used version control or XML models in Flexsim and he/she may be able to share some experiences.

Thanks.
Alan
Old 11-22-2007
Talumis, Flexsim Distributor, The Netherlands

Downloads: 43
Steven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond repute

Alan,

We use tortoise VCS when building user libraries. But that only works good for all .h and .cpp files and for instance media files that are not changed regularly. For Libraries it is still a bit of a pain because we don't save libraries in text/xml format (we might test that 1 time). For models it is the same as with libraries I guess.

The advantage is simply that you have everything together and for the .h and .cpp files it works excellent.

Steven
Old 11-22-2007
Flexsim Super Moderator

AlanZhang is a jewel in the roughAlanZhang is a jewel in the roughAlanZhang is a jewel in the rough

Steven,

Good to know that you are using TortoiseCVS (I guess it is CVS). I never used CVS system before, but used TotoriseSVN. I think both tools are good.

I may do some experiment on Flexsim XML model too.

Thanks.
Alan
Old 11-22-2007
Vice President Technical Services

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 14
Cliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud of

Before we had XML, we lost a software sale to Northrup Grumman once because they were determined they needed to use version control software among their simulation modelers. We use CVS for the Flexsim software development.
Old 11-22-2007
Flexsim Super Moderator

Why XML model is so big? I just create a very simple model with only one source, one queue, one processor, and one sink. It is already more than 3 MB. Do not know what negative effects could be if using version control on these huge files. But certainly it would be hard to read and compare the xml file to incorporate changes from different versions or different users in SubVersion.

Alan
Old 11-22-2007

Steven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond repute

Alan,

I checked and we use TortoiseSVN. Very handy is incorporated in the windows popup menu etc.

Concerning this large size, I think this is the same as with an Autocad drawing, if you export it to DXF. The problem is that everything has to be described by using text. So you need a lot of text. The advantage is that if you zip it,it becomes very small (I think)

I have no idea how SVC or CVS handles it. Testing would be the only solution here I guess

Steven
Old 07-14-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 0
Lydia Franck is on a distinguished road
Default Saving and opening xml models

Dear all,

I am currently trying to use the XML functionality but it does not work. When I choose "File | XML Files | Save XML Model", I get a file dialog, but there is no possibility to choose ".xml". Just "Flexsim Model" and "Tree".

Can anybody help me?

Many thanks in advance,
Lydia.
Old 07-14-2010
Flexsim Development

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 18
Thanked 1,483 Times in 525 Posts
Phil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond repute

In 4.5.2, that menu option saves an xml file with the extension fsm. You can view the contents and see that it is ASCII XML instead of binary data using a text editor like Notepad. The "Open XML Model" also allows you to browse for xml Flexsim models (fsm extension).

We overhauled the xml system that Flexsim 4.5.2 used in 5.0. In Flexsim 5, when you save an xml file, it saves it with a .fsx extension and it follows a different schema. This is done through normal save/open dialogs rather than a special xml menu.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phil BoBo For This Useful Post:
RalfGruber (07-14-2010)
Old 11-27-2014
Graca Silva

Downloads: 11

Do you still use TortoiseSVN? Because I see so in the manual but somewhere I saw you migrated to Mercurial. I am trying this feature now but I wanted to know which one you think is best.
Thanks
Old 11-27-2014
FlexSim Geek

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1
Carsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud of

I'm using TortoiseHg and it works very well. Mercurial is included in the installation. You can download it from http://tortoisehg.bitbucket.org/

If you use Visual Studio you can also install an Visual Studio plugin called VisualHg. You find more information about at this website: http://visualhg.codeplex.com/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carsten Seehafer For This Useful Post:
Sebastian Hemmann (11-29-2014)
Old 11-28-2014

We also switched over to TortoiseHG and are very happy in comparison with SVN. Merging c++ is so much easier and actually works. Merging models, even with using filemaps, does not always work as expected.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steven Hamoen For This Useful Post:
Sebastian Hemmann (11-29-2014)
Old 12-09-2014
Flexsim Consultant, Super Moderator

Downloads: 352
Uploads: 6
Ben Wilson is a glorious beacon of lightBen Wilson is a glorious beacon of lightBen Wilson is a glorious beacon of lightBen Wilson is a glorious beacon of lightBen Wilson is a glorious beacon of light
Default viewing .fsx XML files

Versioning/differencing seems to be the biggest advantage of saving to FlexSim's XML format (.fsx).

Have you ever needed to view the saved .fsx file in a more human-readable format? Has anyone created an XSLT stylesheet to transform the .fsx file into an easy-to-read HTML file? Or come up with another solution?

Thanks -

Tags
version control, xml