ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Tips and Tricks
Downloads

Tips and Tricks Share helpful modeling ideas

Old 06-19-2013
Flexsim User

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0
Lorenzo Gutierrez is on a distinguished road
Default Processor Status: Forcing status change

Hello,

I have a processor (P1) which presents a peice of equipment that needs to be "utilized" for the duration of the work of another processor (P2) which starts working 1 hour after the (P1) starts. P1 and P2 have their own failure rates and preventative maintenance schedules etc.

I was thinking of sending a message from P2 to P1 as soon as the first flow item enters P2 and somehow tell P2 to be in a "utilized/processing" state, but I don't know if that's possible or if there's a better way. If that is possible, I would then send a message and put it back in idle state as the last flow item leaves P2.

Any advice would be appreciated!

LG
Old 06-19-2013
Flexsim User

Downloads: 52
Sebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to behold

Why dou you need this information on P1? What should happen on P1 with this information?

In a production line every processor works as long as it got the possibility. So if you use a queue / storage between P1 and P2 you will not need this information at all.
Old 06-20-2013
Flexsim User

Downloads: 35
Jörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Maybe you can use a multiprocessor and an Operator which represents the second processor. You call the Operator for the second Process. Now if the operator is going to maintance or breakdown, he leaves the second process and it stops.

But as Sebastian has asked, we need more information to give you an answer.

Jörg
Old 06-21-2013
Flexsim User

Downloads: 16
Lorenzo Gutierrez is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies gents!

I got what I needed to work using messages and port closures. Though I wanted to "tie up" P1 given that it is utilized while P2 is processing, I guess I don't need to have it show in a "non idle" state (though it would be more accurate / ideal to show it as processing while P2 is in process). Therefore I just sent a message from P2 to P1 to close its input port while P2 is processing. Upon the last flow item leaving P2, i send another message to open up P1's input port again.

Thank you!!

LG
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lorenzo Gutierrez For This Useful Post:
Sebastian Hemmann (06-24-2013)

Tags
processor, state, utilization

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Command to check the status of an object's port KelvinHo Q&A 3 01-14-2010 12:57 AM
Getting a Processor to re-run Alistair Smitheman Q&A 3 07-31-2009 06:47 AM
Checking nodeedge status Maurits Brandt Q&A 4 09-15-2008 05:43 AM
Processor Martijn van Oostenbrugge Q&A 0 08-27-2008 03:01 PM
Display status of import progress tobias.biemueller Q&A 2 10-02-2007 06:27 AM