ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 04-24-2008
Talumis, Flexsim Distributor, The Netherlands

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 0
Martijn van Oostenbrugge is a name known to allMartijn van Oostenbrugge is a name known to allMartijn van Oostenbrugge is a name known to allMartijn van Oostenbrugge is a name known to allMartijn van Oostenbrugge is a name known to allMartijn van Oostenbrugge is a name known to all
Default photo eye usage

I've attached a little model in which there's a short conveyor with a photo eye almost at the end. The conveyor can only contain 1 box.
1. If the conveyor is accumulating the photo-eye turns green based on the speed of the conveyor and the size of product when it leaves the conveyor
2. If the conveyor is NON accumulation the photo-eye nevery turns green anymore

Is this a bug or what is the intented behaviour?

Could you say that you can only use a photo eye at least one product length away from the end of the conveyor?

Martijn
Attached Files
File Type: zip photoeye.zip (42.0 KB, 378 views)
Old 04-24-2008
Flexsim Technical Support

Downloads: 60
Uploads: 5
Brenton King is a name known to allBrenton King is a name known to allBrenton King is a name known to allBrenton King is a name known to allBrenton King is a name known to allBrenton King is a name known to all

Martijn,
I opened your model and I didn't find what I thought I would. I couldn't really understand what you wanted to happen and what wasn't happening. You mentioned a small conveyor with a photoeye at the end, I saw a default size conveyor with a photoeye at the beginning. You also said that the content of the conveyor could only be 1, I saw no attempt to regulate this however. Can they both only have 1 or just a specific conveyor? Is it not functioning properly for you or is the color of the photoeye just not what you are wanting?
Old 04-24-2008

Downloads: 12
Martijn van Oostenbrugge is a name known to allMartijn van Oostenbrugge is a name known to allMartijn van Oostenbrugge is a name known to allMartijn van Oostenbrugge is a name known to allMartijn van Oostenbrugge is a name known to allMartijn van Oostenbrugge is a name known to all

Brenton,

Then you surprise me. I've opened my attachment to be sure, but it is definitely a default conveyor, followed by a conveyor of 1 unit with capacity 1 and then again a default size conveyor. This is just an example which I encountered in a model partly made by a customer. Indeed the changing of the photo-eye surprises me. It doesn't turn to green when it is uncovered when a new flowitem is already on the small conveyor (although the front is far from the photo-eye).

So to sum up what happens in order:

The first flowitem has left the small conveyor, but it's back still coveres the photo-eye on the previous conveyor.
The second flowitem can enter the small conveyor because the previous has left it.
The photo eye is uncovered. The back of the first flowitem has passed it. (It probably takes the speed of the small conveyor to determine when the photo eye is uncovered).
The second flowitem is not at the photo eye yet, but the photo eye stays yellow and turns red eventually.

Hope it's more clear now.

Martijn
Old 04-24-2008
Flexsim Distributor

Downloads: 278
Uploads: 2
Lars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to behold

Hi Martijn,

I tested your model and also get the same behaviour, the photo eye will not turn green.
I also tried different values on the position for the photo eye and found that if the position is 0.6 or bigger the problem occur. If the position is less then 0.6
the photo eye will turn green.

One more thing I found and that is the trigger UnCover is not fired when the position is >=0.6.

It looks like a bug, but I can be wrong.

Lars-Olof
Old 05-07-2008

Downloads: 43
Steven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond repute

I just post this message to get this post under the attention of Flexsim again. Is it a bug and is the assumption right?

Steven
Old 05-07-2008
Flexsim Development

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 18
Thanked 1,483 Times in 525 Posts
Phil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the bump Steven.

Yes, it is a bug, but it is a set of circumstances that never has to be used.

The assumption is not correct though. It is only in this specific set of circumstances that the photoeye doesn't work:
1) It is a non-accumulating conveyor
AND 2) It has a maximum content of 1 and is waiting for another flowitem to enter. (If you distance the flowitems in the given model so that only 1 is on that conveyor section at a time, it fixes the problem. Or if you set the maximum content to more than 1, it fixes the problem.)
AND 3) The photoeye is less than a product-length away from the end of the conveyor.

The assumption should be: if you have conveyors with a maximum content of 1, leave "Accumulating" checked (as it is by default).

**You can have photoeyes less than one product length away from the end of the conveyor just fine. The above exception is very rare and never necessary.**

Last edited by Phil BoBo; 05-07-2008 at 12:47 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phil BoBo For This Useful Post:
Martijn van Oostenbrugge (05-08-2008)

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Photo-Eye Blocked or Not? Peter Widas Q&A 11 04-08-2008 06:26 PM