ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 08-20-2012
Flexsim User

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0
Vadim Fooks will become famous soon enough
Default Are offset travel and network node direction limiting mutually exclusive?

Greetings,
while working on my stock picking simulation I ran into an interesting limitation.
In my simulation a vehicle (taskexecuter) drives in the middle of the aisle between two racks and a stock picker (operator) picks flowitems from the racks and puts them on the pallet on the vehicle.
I used pickoffset proxy task (x-coordinate only) in order to position the vehicle in front of the cell from which picking is performed.
Because of the vehicle dimensions (2.5 m long) I have created the path network so that if the vehicle has to go back to the cell behind it, it has to go out of the aisle, U-turn, and drive back in.
Except it does not seem to work after I call the pickoffset task.
After the pickoffset proxy task has been executed the vehicle drives to the exit node without any regard to the path network, restricted direction of travel, it makes a U-turn in the middle of the aisle (you can mentally picture the "huh???" emanating from the customer at that point), and drives through the racks. Normal behavior restores after the vehicle reaches the exit network node, but it is too late by then.
Herein lies my question: is there any way to work around this problem so that the vehicle stops halfway between two network nodes, but still remains associated the travel network and obeys direction of travel and no overtaking rules?

Is there another way of solving the vehicle positioning problem? I have not tried "traveltoloc" but I suspect it will cause a similar issue.
I am modeling a large warehouse and placing a network node in front of every bay is probably not the way to go.

Last edited by Vadim Fooks; 08-20-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-28-2012
Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 20
Jason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond repute

Can you share your model on the forum or post a small example? If not - maybe post a diagram to help convey the scenario and the way your model is set up?
Old 09-09-2012
Flexsim User

Downloads: 26
Vadim Fooks will become famous soon enough

Hi Jason,
Here is a small model that showcases the problem. I imagine that once pickoffset task is executed the vehicle is off the grid and all bets are off, but I cannot figure out a way to fix that short of placing a network node in front of every bay (bad idea).
Attached Files
File Type: fsm pickoffset_chase.fsm (62.5 KB, 133 views)
Old 09-10-2012
Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 20
Jason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond repute

To solve the problem in that model you could try adding subtasks to do the following :
1) record the location of the current pickup so the next traveler can see how far I'm going without inspecting the task sequence.
2) before each pickoffset, see if you can travel to the next pickup point, and if not, travel as far as you can and then enter utilize task (state_waiting or blocked).
3) if you travel forward look at the next traveler and if it is waiting call freeoperators.

You'll probably need the same subtask call after the utilize in the subtask so it'll be kind of recursive - that shouldn't matter as long as the calls don't get too deep.

You can find the current travellers of the Entry node (<NN> below) using this:
ownerobject(tonode(get(up(tonode(get(rank(getvarno de(<NN>,"travellers"),<#n>)))))))

where you replace <#n> with the rank of the link under the travellers variable.

Last edited by Jason Lightfoot; 09-10-2012 at 08:27 AM.

Tags
pickoffset, rack, stock picking

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to set dynamicaly closing node edge in a network node Preethi Sivaramakrishnan Tips and Tricks 8 06-27-2013 01:35 PM
difference between offset travel and travel? zhang xin Q&A 2 08-20-2012 07:11 AM
Travel Offset Distance shafizad Q&A 2 05-23-2012 05:48 AM
Travel Network Question Courtney Allensworth Q&A 11 02-21-2011 05:26 PM
Offset Travel AlanZhang Q&A 16 04-18-2008 10:25 AM