ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 09-26-2007
Flexsim User

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Vinay Mehendiratta is on a distinguished road
Default railyard simulation

Hello,

has anybody tried to simulate railroad yard or mainline operations using Flexsim ? flat switching , hump, or intermodal ?

We are currently using Flexsim to do what i described above but would like to know if someone else has made efforts.

has someone tried to compare Flexsim vs Arena for this kind of simulation ?

thanks,
Vinay
Old 09-27-2007
Talumis, Flexsim Distributor, The Netherlands

Downloads: 21
Lolke Koopmans is on a distinguished road

Hello Vinay,
At TALUMIS we have done several projects with railyard simulation. And I know Ben at Flexsim has done such a project as well.
In our last model the movements of the trains are rather detailed. After all these projects there is quite some experience in rail-simulation. I worked with some of the other simulation packages and I think Flexsim gives the best possibilities to simulate the train-movements.

Regards,
Lolke
Old 09-27-2007
Manager of Product Development

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 4
Anthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

Lolke,
I'm curious to know how you implemented the rail movements for your models. Did you use the standard TaskExecuter travel mechanism, or did you implement your own travel mechanism, like we did using kinematics with the node network as a geometric backbone?
Anthony
Old 09-28-2007

My implementation is very much like yours. I have a table with the coordinates of the nodes. I use the network nodes to visualize this and kinematics to have the train traveling along the nodes.
Each waggon has its own kinematics. I think this differs from your implementation?
Old 09-28-2007
Manager of Product Development

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 4
Anthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, in our implementation, each train has a kinematic, you create a train association by adding cars to the train, and each car has an offset from the origin of the kinematic, or the head of the train. But essentially it sounds pretty similar to what you guys implemented.
Old 10-26-2007
Flexsim User

Downloads: 7
Vinay Mehendiratta is on a distinguished road
Default railyard simulation

Lolke,

is it possible to have a look at your model(s) ? video may be ?

i can check and perhaps demo our flexsim based model. i would have to get permission.

you mentioned trying various packages for railroad simulation. what are those packages ? what are the advantages /disadvantages that Flexsim has over these packages ? i like Flexsim as well so i tend to agree with you personally.
thanks,
Vinay
Old 10-29-2007

yeah, I think I can make some videos of our projects. I will have to ask my customer as well. I am also thinking of writing a case about the projects. I will keep you informed.
I have not actually done rail-simulations in other packages. But I worked with Enterprise Dynamics a lot. And I know it would be much harder to develop the same models in ED.

regards,
Lolke
Old 10-30-2007
Vice President Technical Services

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 14
Cliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud of

As soon as we have some time (next year most likely...), we will wrap up the Rail API into a robust user library, and post it on the forum for everyone to use. It will provide basic funtionality for coupling, decoupling, and moving rail cars along a track system created with standard networknodes. It includes methods for allocating, deallocating and switching rail track dynamically.