ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 07-01-2010
Flexsim Australia

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 0
Kenny Macleod will become famous soon enoughKenny Macleod will become famous soon enough
Default CAD's STEP format

Has anyone used or converted a 3D STEP file to work in Flexsim?

The files that will be coming my way are between 20 & 75 MB - The objects will be flow items on a conveyor, but only a small number of them (maybe 5). I'm tempted not to try to import without reducing them, because the initial output will just be a video of a slow moving model which will give the graphics time to refresh.

If you have experience in working with largs STEP (.stp) files then I'd appreciate a comment on how you got on and any issues that you found.

I'm particularly interested in suggestions for conversion to 3DS or WRL

Thanks, Kenny
Old 07-01-2010
Flexsim Distributor

Downloads: 278
Uploads: 2
Lars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to behold

Hi Kenny,

If the STEP file are between 20 to 75 MB then you need to reduce them.
There will be a lot of geometries in the STEP files that you do not need to have in Flexsim.

It can be like screws, bolts, holes etc.

You need to have a CAD program or PolyTrans to do the reducing of the model.

Need more information, let me know.

Lars-Olof
Old 07-01-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 0
Jon Fournier will become famous soon enoughJon Fournier will become famous soon enough

Anark Core (Anark.com) does a really good job of CAD translation and simplification; it's an interactive tool where you can reduce polygon count on individual bodies, and you can remove shapes smaller than some specified size (easy to get rid of bolts, etc...) and they even make it pretty easy to delete any non-visible polygons.

I think cost is a little over 10k, but it's in that area, and it's worth it, especially as it's quite good at converting from one CAD format to another.

I have PolyTrans as well, and it works well enough, but I like Anark a lot more...
The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Fournier For This Useful Post:
David Chan (07-03-2010)
Old 03-09-2011
Flexsim User

Downloads: 26
Nischith Kashyap is on a distinguished road
Default What format is the 3D CAD File ??

Hello

We are building a model in Flexsim, and we were asked if we could upload a 3D image rather than loading a jpg on a visual tool, so we were just wondering if its possible to load a 3d CAD drawing, and what format is it in ?? We have tried a 2D dwg file, but we would like to know what format does flexsim accept for 3D files ??

Thanks
Old 03-09-2011
Talumis, Flexsim Distributor, The Netherlands

Downloads: 43
Steven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond repute

From the user manual:
"Flexsim can import several types of 3D media. These include 3ds, wrl, dxf, and stl file types"

Actually this is already old because from 5 onwards it can also import Google Sketchup files
The Following User Says Thank You to Steven Hamoen For This Useful Post:
Nischith Kashyap (03-15-2011)