ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Flexsim Student Forum
Downloads

Flexsim Student Forum Forum for discussion for Flexsim Students using the Flexsim Textbook.

Old 05-10-2015
Ismail Benabicha

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default How to import Solidworks files

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to import some Solidworks files that i've created, the format of the files is: .WRL. I can successfully import the files but nothing happen, The files don't appear on my model.

Is there someone familiar with this issue?

Thank you for your help!

Greetings.
Old 05-10-2015
Flexsim User

Downloads: 35
Jörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

the version of the wrl or Vrml is version 1.
The import structure shouldn't be to simple. Importing a cube won't be complex enough. And please test a bit with the length units.

Jörg
Old 05-19-2015
Ismail Benabicha

Downloads: 0

Hi,
What do you mean by a complex part? How can I know that mine is complex enough?
I don't understand what your answer begin with, what is version 1?
Please consider that I am a beginner!
Thanks for helping
Old 05-19-2015
FlexSim Software Products

Downloads: 37
RalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to behold

Ismail,

there is a nice section about 3D Media in FlexSim's help function.
That provides most of the information you will need to know how to go from here. You can either export your model from Solidworks to some format that you can directly import into FlexSim, or you will have to use a third party software to convert the Solidworks format into something FlexSim can import.
My suggestion for the conversion would be PolyTrans from Okino (www.okino.com). There website also contains a lot of general information about CAD 3D formats.
On the VRML formats: If you open your exported *.wrl file with a text editor, the first line will show you the VRML version, likely "2". FlexSim is only able to import 3D objects created in VRML version1. You might be able to change settings in Solidworks so it does export to version 1 instead of 2.

Good Luck

Ralf
FlexSim
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RalfGruber For This Useful Post:
Steven Hamoen (05-20-2015)

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what is .fsp files and what is .fst files? oliver xie Q&A 1 06-11-2013 09:54 AM
Solidworks object Simon Farsah Q&A 13 06-11-2012 08:36 PM
png files on a GUI does not work Steven Hamoen Q&A 3 12-16-2010 01:30 PM
Creating fsm-Files Ralfi Q&A 4 10-16-2007 06:07 PM