ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 02-11-2011
ProcSim Consulting

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0
shafizad is on a distinguished road
Default Return 0;

Hello,
I have got this simple model where a separator splits an item into 8. items are sent to 8 queues (of capacity 2) with the help of a transporter (capacity 2). I just would like to have my transporter to unload two items in the same destination in order of the output ports. [The destinations are simply 8 queues of capacity 2.]

Now, each queue receives only one whereas I would like the first available queues receive their full capacity which is 2. Do you have any suggestion that maneuvers on "SendtoPort" code of separator! Well, I welcome more suggestions based on "SendtoPort" code.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TestPort.zip (42.9 KB, 183 views)
Old 02-13-2011
Flexsim Canada, Forum Moderator

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 1
Kris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud of

return trunc(getrank(item)/2)+fmod(getrank(item),2);

This will force round robin delivery to the first ports in 2's (Separator splitting only). However it is not a "first available" style logic, so if one of the queues is still full from the last round, then deliveries will stop until it is clear to receive.

In order to avoid some coding work in the SendToPort, I would suggest having the separator split an item into 4 (each representing 2), then have the transporter carry only 1 item at a time to separators (splitting to 2) that replace your existing queues. This way you could keep the default "First Available" SendToPort.

Another approach, is choosing the "Do Not Release Item" option in the SendToPort (return -1). Then sending a message from the ProcessFinish trigger to the separator itself where you can assess the downstream situation and release each of the items to the ports of choice using releaseitem(). This is a bit easier than trying to do it all from the SendToPort because you don't have to know as much about the sequence that the SendToPort and the RequestTransportFrom are executed for each of the 8 items. I suggest putting some pt()s in each of these fields to interpret what is going on behind the scenes.

Last edited by Kris Geisberger; 02-13-2011 at 11:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kris Geisberger For This Useful Post:
shafizad (02-14-2011)
Old 02-14-2011
Flexsim User

Downloads: 35
Jörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond repute

another way is to write a logic in the >>break to<< function of the taskexecuter: a combination of same loadstation and same destination until the capacity of the TE is depleted.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jörg Vogel For This Useful Post:
shafizad (02-14-2011)
Old 02-14-2011
ProcSim Consulting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Geisberger View Post
return trunc(getrank(item)/2)+fmod(getrank(item),2);

This will force round robin delivery to the first ports in 2's (Separator splitting only). However it is not a "first available" style logic, so if one of the queues is still full from the last round, then deliveries will stop until it is clear to receive.

In order to avoid some coding work in the SendToPort, I would suggest having the separator split an item into 4 (each representing 2), then have the transporter carry only 1 item at a time to separators (splitting to 2) that replace your existing queues. This way you could keep the default "First Available" SendToPort.

Another approach, is choosing the "Do Not Release Item" option in the SendToPort (return -1). Then sending a message from the ProcessFinish trigger to the separator itself where you can assess the downstream situation and release each of the items to the ports of choice using releaseitem(). This is a bit easier than trying to do it all from the SendToPort because you don't have to know as much about the sequence that the SendToPort and the RequestTransportFrom are executed for each of the 8 items. I suggest putting some pt()s in each of these fields to interpret what is going on behind the scenes.
There is no way that I can ignore the first available requirement. The idea of having an item for two items is not what I could use in my model considering my specifications (actually this is the challenge of this modeling in hand). your third idea is not feasible because at processfinish of separator you only have access only to the ORIGINAL item and sending a message like
senddelayedmessage(current, 1, current, tonum(item));
is only giving access to the first rank object contained in separator! and even if I use getrank(), how come I could check if downstream is OK to send my items there because you never know with what condition to check the availability of downstream; they might always be reserved for items to be sent to but not full (thus , you cannot simply write getcontent(queues)==2 and solve the issue). so defining a condition that would allow you to determine queues being free in the sense that no previous item has been assigned would be the challenge

If there was a way to memorize the first available port and then assign the next coming item as the same port, it would have been the perfect solution.
How come could you manage to save the port in return 0; just before any other functions are run?
Old 02-14-2011
ProcSim Consulting

@Jorg
The problem if you take a closer look is not to manage the operator to take two and deliver at the same destination; as you might know the OnRequestTrigger happens (with a probable delay) after the Assignment of port. so, if you don't have the right port on your item, it doesn't help if you go for BreakTO requirement because the port is not the right chosen.
Old 02-14-2011
ProcSim Consulting

Default Here is a Monday Solution to this problem.

I have used a GlobalTable that saves the first available port and uses it for the second released item as well!
Attached Files
File Type: zip TestPort.zip (81.2 KB, 166 views)
Old 02-14-2011
Flexsim Canada, Forum Moderator

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 1
Kris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafizad View Post
The idea of having an item for two items is not what I could use in my model considering my specifications (actually this is the challenge of this modeling in hand).
What specifications are preventing you from the single item approach? Even if you split them each into 2 after the transport?

Quote:
your third idea is not feasible because at processfinish of separator you only have access only to the ORIGINAL item and sending a message like
senddelayedmessage(current, 1, current, tonum(item));
is only giving access to the first rank object contained in separator! and even if I use getrank(), how come I could check if downstream is OK to send my items there because you never know with what condition to check the availability of downstream; they might always be reserved for items to be sent to but not full (thus , you cannot simply write getcontent(queues)==2 and solve the issue). so defining a condition that would allow you to determine queues being free in the sense that no previous item has been assigned would be the challenge
Of course you can, you just don't know how yet. You should be more willing to learn when you ask for help. You have great potential. Attached is a model that uses the OnMessage trigger as a job dispenser. Basically when there are newly split items (ProcessFinish) or when the operator does not have any work (OnResourceAvailable) a message will be sent to tell the separator to release the next 2 items accordingly. This might not be the exact behavior you are searching, but the OnMessage contains plenty of commands to get you into trouble now. I'm still promoting the single item approach.

Your latest model with the global table will fail if there is a single item remaining in one of the queues. Connect a conveyor on the exit of one of the queues with capacity 2 to see that when the conveyor is full with 17 items (the 18th in the queue), the operator will deliver a single 19th item and the 20th will be stuck at the separator.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TestPort_KG.zip (53.8 KB, 176 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kris Geisberger For This Useful Post:
shafizad (02-18-2011)
Old 02-18-2011
ProcSim Consulting

thank you for your feedback and excuse my impatience on commenting. I am sorry if it has carried a somehow negative impression.

I cannot unfortunately open your attached model to understand better your response.
Gives me this on console (as well as a message declaring a Syntax Error asking to open VisualC to verify syntax)
exception: Exception Caught in ObjectFunction002__project_exec_globals_nodefuncti ons_updatemodelversion object: MAIN:/project/exec/globals/nodefunctions/updatemodelversion class: MAIN:/project/exec/globals/nodefunctions/updatemodelversion

Error: GL_ARB_occlusion_query extension not available
exception: int stringsadd(char *s1, char *s2)
ex: stringsadd
Error: GL_ARB_occlusion_query extension not available

Last edited by Phil BoBo; 02-18-2011 at 10:39 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to shafizad For This Useful Post:
Jörg Vogel (02-18-2011)
Old 02-18-2011
Flexsim Development

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 18
Thanked 1,483 Times in 525 Posts
Phil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond repute

His model is in 5.1. You can't open it properly in a previous version.

We changed the file format for tree saving in 5.1 to pave the way for file encryption and password protecting models and libraries. Flexsim 5.1 is backward compatible with 5.0 tree files, but Flexsim 5.0 is not forward compatible with 5.1 files. This is the norm. You can't open a version 5 model in version 4. We've never kept forwards compatibility to make sure new stuff works in old versions. We try hard to keep backward compatibility to make sure old stuff works in new versions.

It doesn't give the "this model was built in a newer version" error because it doesn't open the model enough to know what version the model was built in. This is a draw-back of the old way of saving models, which we have tried to fix in the new file format by adding header information that contains the version number.

Opening a 5.1 model in a previous version is kind of like renaming a Word document to MyDocument.fsm and trying to open it with Flexsim. The effects are bad because we weren't able to see into the future in developing Flexsim 1.0 to know that we would need to change the file format for 5.1. The new system tries to take this issue into account though for future versions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phil BoBo For This Useful Post:
shafizad (02-28-2011)
Old 02-22-2011
Flexsim User

Downloads: 35
Jörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
@Jorg
... so, if you don't have the right port on your item, it doesn't help if you go for BreakTO requirement because the port is not the right chosen...
You are absolutely right, I see my mistake now. I attached a small model which uses similar to the lastest models in this thread a table.

The Taskexecuter is able to deliver more Items than to only one unloadstation and and uses lifo- or fifo-stacking on delivering.

Jörg
Attached Files
File Type: zip TE_TransportMultipleItemFIFO_LIFO-Unload_JV.zip (41.7 KB, 457 views)

Last edited by Jörg Vogel; 12-03-2014 at 03:21 AM.

Tags
onsendto, queue, return 0;, seperator

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can I return a server license? syseo Installation 2 02-10-2011 07:35 PM
return treenodearray juan alberto Q&A 3 12-22-2010 10:48 AM
Return 0; shafizad Q&A 0 12-13-2010 03:50 AM
5.0 return problem? LINWEIXU Q&A 1 04-22-2010 09:05 AM
return 1 in entry trigger? qin tian Q&A 1 05-07-2008 04:05 PM