ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 03-05-2015
Simulationist

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
mikemayer is on a distinguished road
Default Kanban in FlexSim

Looking for more than just using "pull", or messaging in a FlexSim model to simulate Kanban.

What I mean, is anyone aware of white papers, best-practices, how-to's, etc. on building Kanban-based simulations in FlexSim?

Searches of this Forum have revealed interesting Kanban examples (the FlexSim 'milk truck' Kanban model by Tom David, for example).

I'm sure Lots of people are doing Kanban models in FlexSim, but is anyone aware of something more cohesive that documents how to do it consistently and correctly, thus adhering to Kanban principles every time, without having to reinvent for each model?

Kind of like a Kanban framework for FlexSim, or even a "Kanban module" for FlexSim, or user library of sorts. Just as there's an AGV module, as well as HC (healthcare) and CT (container terminal) versions.

Thanks,

Mike Mayer
Goodyear
Old 03-09-2015
Simulation Engineer

Downloads: 11
Clair A is a jewel in the roughClair A is a jewel in the roughClair A is a jewel in the roughClair A is a jewel in the rough
Default Simple Kanban system

Hi Mike,

The attached model might help you: the Plane object "KanbanLoop" could be added to a user library for reuse in other models.

The Kanban system simulated in this model is very simple and could be represented as follows:

... although in my model the Kanban cards are not physically attached to the parts, it's more similar to an electronic Kanban.

If you want to reuse the Plane object "KanbanLoop", you need to send 2 messages to the Kanban loop:
  • when you want to use a Kanban card, send a message to the Queue "FreeKanbans" through a center port connection
  • when you want to free a Kanban card, send a message to the Queue "UsedKanbans" through a center port connection
Be aware that the center port connection is also used by the the Queue "FreeKanbans" to close the input port of the processor when there are no more Kanban cards available.

I am not aware of white papers or best-practices on this topic but I hope this model can help.

On a side note, you can play around with the number of kanban cards in the loops to measure the customer satisfaction [%]:

In this sample model I just assumed that if there are no parts available in stock when a client arrives, then he leaves the system unsatisfied.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version
Name:	Kanban_schema.png
Views:	1556
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	2778   Click image for larger version
Name:	scenarios.PNG
Views:	1646
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	2779   Click image for larger version
Name:	satisfaction.PNG
Views:	1546
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	2781  
Attached Files
File Type: fsm demo_kanban.fsm (45.9 KB, 977 views)

Last edited by Clair A; 03-09-2015 at 10:41 AM. Reason: re-uploaded attachment
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Clair A For This Useful Post:
Tom David (03-10-2015)
Old 03-09-2015
Simulationist

Downloads: 5
mikemayer is on a distinguished road

Clair, thank you so much for the information you've shared, and that Kanban model.

I'll be eager to share this simple yet effective example model with the rest of the folks here.