ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 05-15-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Michael Pohl is on a distinguished road
Default Batch from Queue and capacity of operator

Dear all,

in a simple model with 3 queues, each accumulating batches of 16 items, is a dispatcher with 3 operators who have a capacity of 16 items each. Any of the operators can take batches of 16 from any queue and transport it to the corresponding rack.
Flush contents in the queues is ticked.

If I use 1 operator, he will take all 16 items. In case, there are three operators, and the loadtime is ZERO, the first operator takes 14 items, and the other two take 1 item each.
With a load time bigger than ZERO, operators will take different number of items but not the full batch of 16.

I tried to use the Break to Requirement "Unload until empty", but that did not help.

How can I make it that one operator takes a full batch at a time?

Best regards and thanks in advance
Michael
Attached Files
File Type: zip capacity of operator.zip (73.9 KB, 273 views)
Old 05-15-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 157
Uploads: 47
Tom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant future

I guess the problem here is that some events occur to the exact time, because of the batching of the queue. Having events generated at the same time the questions is how they will put into the event order. I remember some threads about this subject.

Anyway, I solved the problem by creating my own tasksequence (OnEndCollecting) and just use the Use Transport to return 0 because I use my own tasksequence. So the object is not releasing the items by itself. See the attached model.

Because I do not have a lot of time today, I did not explain very precise what I am doing and why. In other words this is just a rough model and not a normal _TD model.
I hope, it still helps and if there are any questions, please feel free to ask.
Attached Files
File Type: zip capacity of operator_TD.zip (73.4 KB, 295 views)
Old 05-18-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Michael Pohl is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much, Tom. This helps a lot.

But still: Why doesn't it work to use on the "Break to" Requirement of the operator the "Same Load Station Until Empty" - Option?
Old 05-18-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 157
Uploads: 47
Tom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant future

The "Same Load Station Until Empty" on the Operator works in the way, that a check is made if the Operator has already a tasksequence (Travel/Load/Break/Travel/Unload). If this is the case the existing tasksequence gets a new tasksequence at the Break task. This new task is again a Travel/Load/Break/Travel/Unload tasksequence. So the operator will travel again to the station (normally he is already there), does the load and then travels to the target station and does the unload. Is this is done he takes the first tasksequence and does the travel (normally he is already there because of the previous tasksequence) and just do the unload of the first item.
Have a look into the code of the "Break to" and you can see that there is a check if it is a new tasksequence and if the target station is the same.
In the case of batching at the queue and because of having the events at the same time one operator gets some tasksequences and than he is already busy. So another operator or more other operators will get a tasksequence. That’s why not one guy is doing the whole job.
At least this is what happens in my eyes with my Flexsim understanding. Maybe I am wrong, but then I am sure someone will correct me.

Tags
batching, operator capacity, queue batch, tasksequence

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pulling from a Queue vs Sorting the Queue Brandon Peterson Tips and Tricks 3 03-03-2010 01:27 AM
Batch production (Batch size for processor) Patrick Cap Q&A 12 03-27-2009 12:14 AM
TE loads to it's capacity qin tian Q&A 1 11-13-2008 09:35 AM
different capacity for different flow item for a same TE KelvinHo Q&A 10 08-28-2008 08:12 AM
Task Sequence Delay for Multiple Capacity Sung Kim Q&A 6 06-16-2008 03:11 PM