ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 04-24-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0
Derrick Serbonich is on a distinguished road
Default Stop product on conveyor

Hello All,

I am trying to model an assembly line conveyor where the product stops at a work station for a given amount of time. After this time the product is then moved by the conveyor to the next station. There are 6 stations on one conveyor line. How do i model the boxes stopping on the line so the operators can work on them.

I was thinking I would use photo eyes to stop the product but i couldn't figure out how to use the code to do it. Right now all i have is 6 photo eyes spread out 10 ft apart on a 60 ft conveyor. Thanks.

Derrick
Old 04-24-2009
The Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6
Brandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant future

Derrick,

First, could you update your profile about me section so that the rest of us can get to know you better. I know that for me it helps to motivate me to give better help.

Now to the help,
If each station conveys product seperately then you could do the following:

1. Creat a conveyor for each process (Meaning that the end of the conveyor is at the processng point).
2. On Convey End. Close the output and send a delayed message (time = processing time).
3. On message open the output port of the conveyor.

This should produce what you want with the added benefit of being able to write as little code as possible on one conveyor and then copying that code to the others. Also, if there is a gap in the product or any bottle necks down stream, then this should simulate that correctly.

You could put a processor at the end of the conveyor but then you would have to write additional code to stop the conveyor and such.

If you are trying to simulate one conveyor that stops when a product is in front of the operators for x seconds and then starts up again to move to the next station then try this:

1. You will use one non-accumulating conveyor that ends just after (distance past the last station must be > 0 but < distance between stations) the last processing step and begins the same distance in front of the first station that exists between all the other stations.
2. On Entry send a delayed message of Type 1 (time = distance / speed)
3. On Message Type 1, if content > 0 then stop conveyor and send another delayed message of Type 2 (time = process time). Now you will go to 4 or exit the loop.
4. On Message Type 2 resume conveyor and send a delayed message of Type 1 (time = distance / speed). Now you will go back to step 3.

This should give you an answer that has a limited amount of code.

In both cases if you want to track the states you could do this by putting a photo eye at each station that when covered would change the state on a dummy processing station obejct to STATE_PROCESSING and when uncovered would change it back to STATE_IDLE.

Good Luck,
Brandon
Old 04-27-2009
Flexsim User

I tried the first method using the stop output and delayed message. When the flowitem gets to the end of the conveyor it stops like it should but the model run time stops as well. I have it set up for the Onconveyend code there are both the close output using the close open port tab and also send a delayed message. On the onMessage line i have openoutput. Do you have any idea why it would stop the whole model and not just the flowitem for the delayed time?
Old 04-27-2009
Flexsim User

I was able to get the model time to last as long as the time to convey to the end plus the delay message time. So it takes 5 sec to convey and i have the delay set for 10 meaning it quits after 15 sec. It must have something to do with the Onmessage releasing the flowitem. In the onmessage code block i changed it from closeinput to openoutput. I'm not sure if this is the problem.

If someone could throw a small model together showing the code and the connections needed I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Derrick
Old 04-27-2009
The Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6
Brandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant future

Derrick,

Thanks for filling out the about me section!

Here is a model that shows the first method I explained.

Good Luck,
Brandon
Attached Files
File Type: zip Conveyor Processing.zip (21.2 KB, 334 views)

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can’t stop cranes colliding Kenny Macleod Q&A 8 07-16-2008 10:18 AM
Make sure you stop model with the stop button before collecting state based statistics Paul Dowling Tips and Tricks 2 06-10-2008 08:10 AM
How to find the idle time of the job/product? shivrash Q&A 5 04-09-2008 09:01 AM
How to run tasks after stop time? Fadhlullah Bin Rahmat Q&A 1 02-26-2008 04:44 PM
Stop conveyor on loading mathiasds Q&A 2 11-20-2007 04:31 PM