ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 03-24-2009
FlexSim Software Products

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0
RalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to behold
Default Highlight a Visual Tool set to Screen Locked Billboard in perspective view?

This is to the window masters of Flexsim:

I have a Visual Tool object displaying a plane but set to Screen Locked Billboard mode. The only matter in having two of these objects is that they have an OnClick trigger so I can execute functionality while fly through a presentation. But: I can´t execute the code in perspective views because I am not able to click the Visual Tool.
It works in Ortho views, but the specific reason to have those Visual Tools is to use them as buttons. I put the "b" and "n" key functionality of the presentation builder into that Visual Tool buttons to be able to navigate through flypathes from a distance during a presentation.

So, where´s the hidden secret? What do I have to change to access my buttons in the presentation builder view?

Thanks in advance

Ralf
aka ralle
Flexsim Germany
Old 03-24-2009
The Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6
Brandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant future

Ralf,

There is a big difference in where the viewed objects are placed relative to the camera so that they are the right size. In the ortho view they can be much closer because obects don't change size with distance. In the perspective this makes it so that they have to be farther away. It may be that the buttons are ending up being below the grid so that you can't click on them.

I think that Phil or Antony might be able to give you more info but if you want to post an example I'll try to look at it for you.

Brandon
Old 03-24-2009
Flexsim Development

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 18
Thanked 1,483 Times in 525 Posts
Phil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond repute

The Visual Tool goes through some serious black magic to get it to show up locked to the screen in the Perspective View in the same location as the ortho view. As you noticed, this black magic prevents you from being able to click on it in the perspective view. Brandon was right that the view is doing strange things to the size and position of it when you move the camera around in order to get it to seem locked to the screen at the same size, but it isn't a matter of being behind the grid. It explicitly doesn't let you click it in the perspective if it is a screen-locked billboard because the selection and movement mechanism wasn't working for the perspective view as desired. No selection was better than the outcome with messed up selection.

My suggestion if you want a perspective view with buttons is to make a custom GUI, with a perspective view and buttons.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phil BoBo For This Useful Post:
RalfGruber (03-25-2009)
Old 03-25-2009
FlexSim Software Products

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0
RalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to behold

OK, I solved that issue by adding two main menu options for previous and next flypath which can be controlled by mouseklick. I did´t want to put the view into a GUI, because it is for a presentation and I like to show the presentation builder in full screen.
Thanks for your answers.

Ralf
aka ralle
Flexsim Germany

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Object to make Perspective View follow objects Brandon Peterson Tips and Tricks 1 11-10-2011 05:59 PM
how to make the visual tool transparent? qin tian Q&A 8 11-28-2008 11:17 AM
Diff Tool? david_white Q&A 0 11-12-2008 01:51 PM
Dispay information on separate screen Maurits Brandt Tips and Tricks 1 10-09-2007 02:23 AM
Visual tool as a container qs Paul Dowling Q&A 2 08-20-2007 07:53 PM