ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 01-20-2015
David Durden

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Simple Process Sync Question

Okay, this will be pretty simple for some of you guys.

I'm just getting acquainted with FlexSim, and I want to simulate a process we do where I work. It's basically an indexing conveyor with 4 different processes. The indexing doesn't happen until all the processes are complete. It's pretty cookie cutter production type stuff.

I've got the processes separated by a conveyor (multiple conveyors representing the one large one), and I want the conveyors to only move after ALL the processes are done. What's the easiest way to do it?

Right now I've just go the processes feeding each other with the "setup" time being the conveyor. I'd really rather show the conveyor, though.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-21-2015
Flexsim User

Downloads: 35
Jörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond reputeJörg Vogel has a reputation beyond repute

Hello David,

my approach would be to build a method wherein the inputs of the conveyors are closed and opened based on the latest process ending time.
Therefore I set the process finish time plus the actual runtime into a variable construct such as a label or a table cell. For example you can set variable to the maximum value of the actual stored and the new value.
Code:
setlabelnum(obj, labelname, maxof(getlabelnum(obj,labelname),new_process_finish_time));
obj = reference to the object where the label to find
labelname = string of the label name
new_process_finish_time = value when the process finishes.
Further I send a delayed message. The delay last till the processfinish. When the message is received I compare actual runtime with the stored values in the variable. If the receiving time matches with the latest process finish time I open the input of the conveyors. A short time later I close the input again. This could you implement again with a delayed message.

Jörg
The Following User Says Thank You to Jörg Vogel For This Useful Post:
sagar bolisetti (01-22-2015)
Old 01-21-2015
David Durden

Downloads: 0

Hmmm, I may look into that today. I've got a few other things I doubt will work, but I want to try. LOL!

I'll let you know if that works, though!

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2015
Talumis, Flexsim Distributor, The Netherlands

Downloads: 43
Steven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond repute

Other option would be to have all processors send a message on Processfinish to a controller object. Controller objects checks if all messages are received and opens all conveyors. The conveyors can close themselves on exit and on reset.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steven Hamoen For This Useful Post:
sagar bolisetti (01-22-2015)

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Simple TS question Gavin Douglas Q&A 1 03-27-2013 10:04 AM
Probably a simple question Jelmer Js Q&A 2 04-01-2011 06:29 AM
Simple TS Question Gavin Douglas Q&A 2 02-01-2010 11:51 AM
simple pallet question (i think) bsantens Q&A 2 03-23-2009 11:39 AM
simple question for operators Kang Han Q&A 1 10-23-2008 08:35 AM