ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 12-10-2007
Flexsim User

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 0
Anthony Timmiss will become famous soon enoughAnthony Timmiss will become famous soon enough
Default Tow Tractor + Trailers

Hi

I am currently working on a material handling simulation. I need to simulate transporters of varying lengths. Currently I am changing the length of the fork-truck object when it loads a flow item. This works fine but the graphics look poor.

I am trying to represent tow tractors with varying quantities of trailers. Is there an easy way to do this? The tow tractors are small single man vehicles that can pull between zero and 9 trailers. I appreciate this will probably be difficult to simulate however it would be a great addition to Flexsim if this was a simple option as most manufacturing plants use tow tractors that pull trailers.

Many Thanks

Anth
Old 12-14-2007
Vice President Technical Services

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 14
Cliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud ofCliff King has much to be proud of

We recently developed the ability to simulate multi-car train movement along a track as part of a larger rail yard simulation project for one of our clients. We hope to find the time during Q1 of 2008 to wrap the functionality into a package that we can share with our users. It might be an overkill for the tow tractor and trailer scenario you're referring to however. I might have a couple simple suggestions for you, but let me first ask you a few questions:

1) have you chosen to model the vehicles as Flowitems, TaskExecuters or TaskExecuterFlowitems?
2) how important is articulated (individual car) movement?
3) do you have 3D shapes for the tractor and trailers, or are you simply using boxes?

Without giving a lot of detail, here are some different ideas for you:

1) Hierarchically place trailer objects into the tractor object.
2) Use flowitems to represent tractor and trailers traveling along a conveyor.
2) Use separate taskexecuters for tractor and each trailer. Give all taskexecuters making up the train a tasksequence to travel at the same time but to slightly offset destinations.

Cliff
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff King For This Useful Post:
naveenkumar (07-12-2011)
Old 12-17-2007
Flexsim User

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 0
Anthony Timmiss will become famous soon enoughAnthony Timmiss will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the reply Cliff.

I have finshed working on the model for now and we got some satisfactory results.

I'll quickly answer your questions before I explain what I did.

1) I used the Transporter object to represent the transporter and trailer/s.
2) Individual car movement is only important from a graphical point of view.
3) I don't have any 3D shapes for the tracotor and trailers as yet. The tow tractors look like slightly smaller versions of the ones you get at DisneyLand that help transport people everywhere.

I simulated the tractor and trailer using the transporter object. I set a label called 'length' on the flow item the transporter was carrying, as the transporter loaded the flow item I altered the length and colour of the transporter. The varying lengths were to represent different quantities of trailers.

Graphically this doesn't look very good but it performs the task to the required level for this simple model.

I've attached the model in case you want to view it.

Anth
Attached Files
File Type: zip Tractor Model.ZIP (118.3 KB, 374 views)