ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 04-24-2008
Flexsim User

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Simon Farsah is on a distinguished road
Default Solidworks object

Hi,
can we import Solidworks object into Flexsim ?

Simon
Old 04-24-2008
Flexsim Distributor

Downloads: 278
Uploads: 2
Lars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to behold

Hi Simon,

No, you can not import object from SolidWork.

Flexsim can only use objects in 3D-Studio format or in VRML formta.

What you need to do is to export the objects from SolidWork
as .3ds (3D Studio) or .wrl (VRML version 1) files.

Lars-Olof
Old 04-24-2008
Flexsim User

Downloads: 4
Simon Farsah is on a distinguished road

Thank you Lars-Olof
Old 04-25-2008
Flexsim Distributor

Downloads: 74
David Chan has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Chan has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Chan has a spectacular aura about

I think you can export your object as 3ds, wrl and dxf format inside Solidwork environment. After which you could port the graphic into Flexsim.

David
Old 08-26-2011
Talumis, Flexsim Distributor, The Netherlands

Downloads: 43
Steven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond repute

I now have come accross the same problem, exporting from solidworks. If I export through vrml then I can import correctly but most of the colors are gone and the model looks awfull.

3ds is not on the list of possible exports, I can try stl but until now that hasn't delivered a lot of good results.

Does anybody have experience with another format (e.g. IGS or STP) and a converter tool to change it into 3ds?
Old 08-26-2011
Flexsim Distributor

Downloads: 278
Uploads: 2
Lars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to behold

Hi Steven,

You should avoid IGES because in IGES you can put tolerance on the exported geometry, that means that the geometry can look bad.
Therefor use STEP instead, I am not sure if the colors will follow or not.

I have looked little on a translation tool called PolyTrans by OKINO (http://www.okino.com/conv/conv.htm) and the little I have used it I think it is a good tool to convert between different formats.

Lars-Olof
Old 08-28-2011
FlexSim Geek

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1
Carsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud ofCarsten Seehafer has much to be proud of

I'm using PolyTrans to create 3D-shapes from our engineering department (Inventor). The results are perfect and I haven't any problems You can do a lot of adjustments but the default is nearly perfect.

Okino has a lot of different converter packages. I've asked our local dealer to get the right package.

greetings

Carsten
Old 08-29-2011
Flexsim Development

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 18
Thanked 1,483 Times in 525 Posts
Phil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond repute

Blender is a free 3d animation program that can import many shape formats and export into a nice 3ds format that Flexsim likes. I suspect that the detail loss is in the export from SolidWorks. Blender may be able to import an exported format from SolidWorks that has more detail.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phil BoBo For This Useful Post:
Sung Kim (08-30-2011)
Old 09-06-2011
Talumis, Flexsim Distributor, The Netherlands

Downloads: 43
Steven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond repute

I like to give some followup on this post.

I don't think blender can handle the IGES and STEP formats so that was no solution.
I got a lot of help from Jason (Thanks Jason!) and we used indeed the polytrans program and we used the STEP format. This worked out pretty good, with sharp and bright pictures. Only thing was that not all colors where included, but most where and in AC3D coloring is no problem.

So problem solved!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steven Hamoen For This Useful Post:
RalfGruber (09-06-2011)
Old 09-06-2011
Flexcon, Flexsim Distributor, Italy

Downloads: 24
mgiubilato will become famous soon enough

Just to add something to Steven notes :
Polytrans has a direct import from Soliworks (as well as Solid Edge and Inventor), sold as separate option.
This is our default import option is fast, and allow to simplify the 3D object directly working on the solid object hyerarchy.
Old 09-06-2011
Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 20
Jason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we also used the Solidworks native files during the first import. Then, when the CAD changed and we were only supplied with STEP and IGES, we noticed that STEP lost some colours but seemed more vivid than the native import (normals?). That said - there are MANY settings to change for the import parameters, so maybe with tweaking both could yield better results. This comparison is between fairly basic settings for both types. From what we saw, some hierarchy also seems to be preserved in STEP - I've not yet done a comparison to see if they are identical.

Last edited by Jason Lightfoot; 09-06-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-11-2012
Flexsim User

Downloads: 439
syseo has a spectacular aura aboutsyseo has a spectacular aura about
Default What is the best format of Solidworks for using it in flexsim?

I need the best way to use solidworks detail file in flexsim.

I received the wrl file of new vrml 2 saved from solidworks from customer.
But I can't convert it 3DS or vrml 1 witout lossing detail text and surface.
I want to receive the file best converted for using it in flexsim.
The file should display the good surface and detail of it in flexsim.
And I want to know how to convert it in detail for demonsrating it to my customer.
I attached the solidworks file wrl (vrml 2).

And I should show for flexsim to display the high and detail quality of many visual objects comparing automod.
The visual object file of plant structures and machine-frame is designed by solidworks.
Which file format will I request from customer?
I should display the detail and good texture, curved surface and polygons of it in flexsim after imporing by using visual object.
The file has layout, structures and frames on which many processors will be drag and dropped.
The file size will be about 400 megabyte and it is for comparing to automod.
The customer said Automod has some problems to run when the visual file is over 600 mb.
I and he want to know flexsim's capability to run in same situation.

I want anyone's support.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Lf_electrode_vrml2.zip (3.47 MB, 83 views)
Old 06-11-2012
Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 20
Jason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the polytrans vrml2 conversion to 3ds with default import/export options. Polytrans has options for many file types and for reducing the file size - it's worth considering as previous posts mention.
Attached Files
File Type: fsm electrode.fsm (2.37 MB, 93 views)
File Type: zip electrode3DS.zip (2.36 MB, 93 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Lightfoot For This Useful Post:
syseo (06-11-2012)
Old 06-11-2012
Flexsim User

Downloads: 439
syseo has a spectacular aura aboutsyseo has a spectacular aura about
Default What is the best software if one will be purchased?

Thank you Jason.

Did you use polytrans from okino?

If we will buy one of them as conversion tool, which is the best one considering the capability and price?

vizup ? or polytrans?

In the case of other various format...which is the better?

I want to know that.