ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 09-03-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 1
KelvinHo will become famous soon enough
Default Random pick item

Hi,

I would like to ask a simple question as below:

In the connection of:
source -> queue -> combiner
what can i do to let the combiner to random pick items in the queue (not fifo or lifo)?
Old 09-03-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 157
Uploads: 47
Tom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant future

My first idea would be to define the position of the items in the queue at OnEntry, which can be random:

int iRank = duniform(1, content(current) + 1);
setrank(item,iRank);

The combiner always takes the first item and if I change the rank in the queue it is a kind of randomness which one he chooses.
It is not exactly what you are asking for, but I guess it could be still a solution. Or at least it will give you a hint.
Old 09-03-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 1
KelvinHo will become famous soon enough

Thanks, problem solved
Old 09-03-2009
The Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6
Brandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant future

Kelvin,

Another method would be to randomly select an item from the Queue with the Pull Requirement. You would need a label to store a variable and the following code.

if(getrank(item) == 1)
{
setlabelnum(current, "ItemRank", duniform(1, content(inobject(current, port))));
}

return getrank(item) == getlabelnum(current, "ItemRank");

If you only wanted to do the random pull for the pallets or for the items then you would need a port check first. Here is the code for that:

//Only randomly pull pallets
if(port > 1) return 1;

//Only randomly pull items
if(port == 1) return 1;

So, now you have two different methods to do the same thing.

Good Luck,
Brandon

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pick window on conveyor. Neil Brandon Q&A 9 02-04-2013 03:12 AM
Repeat Random Streams Cliff King Q&A 16 08-30-2012 10:49 AM
I would like the pick up from the rack in function of a variable demand rate... mariogib Q&A 1 03-13-2009 10:53 PM
Flexsim beginners are sometimes just amazing (Rack - Pick Operator) Tom David Q&A 1 12-05-2008 10:35 AM
More random random number Paul Dowling Q&A 6 06-01-2008 07:30 PM