ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Gripes and Goodies
Downloads

Gripes and Goodies Software problems and suggestions

Old 02-10-2013
Flexsim User

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
brett forbes is on a distinguished road
Default Very Large Models and Exporting Complex Data

Hi,

The more I use Flexsim, the more impressed with it I become , however the data access capability and the 32-bit memory access ceiling are serious limitations as model size and complexity grows .

The main issue with the data access is that only one database and one text file can be open at any single time. Most complex models are already reading from multiple tables within a database to run the simulation, and therefore the issue of where to write the developed data arises.

While text files can be used, since only one file can be open at a time, then exporting data to text files quickly creates very complex file structures (e.g. for every date, a line is needed to write data from a single operation, many operations leads to many lines per date, many dates leads to massive files), that need a dedicated post processor. Brandon Peterson has shown the way to manage this with the following post http://www.flexsim.com/community/for...read.php?t=577

Is there any chance of developing the capability to have two databases open (i.e. one for input data and one for output data)?

Alternatively can you develop the capability to have many text files open (e.g. >10), so that each one is then a csv table?

Finally, is there some chance in the future to develop a 64-bit version, so the memory limitation goes away?

I think Flexsim is excellent software, which is well-designed, but developing the capability to write to two databases or many text files would really open it up to much larger models, running for much longer times (e.g. hourly basis for twenty years).

Keep up the good work.

Thanks

Brett

Last edited by brett forbes; 02-10-2013 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Added mail notification
Old 02-11-2013
Talumis, Flexsim Distributor, The Netherlands

Downloads: 43
Steven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond repute

Flexsim is very well suited to be linked with a C++ DLL. That gives you unlimited possibilities. For instance with writing to different files, you can simply create an array (or vector) with pointers to the different files and keep these open until you stop or reset your model.

For databases it should be about as easy but maybe the express edition might miss some base functionality for that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steven Hamoen For This Useful Post:
brett forbes (02-11-2013)
Old 02-11-2013
Flexsim Development

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 18
Thanked 1,483 Times in 525 Posts
Phil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett forbes View Post
Finally, is there some chance in the future to develop a 64-bit version, so the memory limitation goes away?
Yes. The next version of FlexSim will be available in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Phil BoBo For This Useful Post:
Vadim Fooks (02-20-2013)
Old 02-11-2013
Flexsim User

Default How do I use a C++ DLL to write to multiple files?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Hamoen View Post
Flexsim is very well suited to be linked with a C++ DLL. That gives you unlimited possibilities. For instance with writing to different files, you can simply create an array (or vector) with pointers to the different files and keep these open until you stop or reset your model.

For databases it should be about as easy but maybe the express edition might miss some base functionality for that.
Hi Steven,

Thanks for your excellent suggestion about writing to different files with an array of different file pointers and a C++ DLL.

Is there any chance someone could write a detailed post showing how to accomplish this?
Unfortunately, it is a bit advanced for my meagre skills.

It sounds like an excellent suggestion, and makes me wish I was a better, more experienced programmer.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Brett
Old 02-12-2013
Talumis, Flexsim Distributor, The Netherlands

Downloads: 43
Steven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond repute

Start with connecting to a dll:
http://www.flexsim.com/community/for...read.php?t=382

Once you have achieved that come back and we can point you to the file stuff (or post an example)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett forbes View Post
Hi Steven,
Unfortunately, it is a bit advanced for my meagre skills.

It sounds like an excellent suggestion, and makes me wish I was a better, more experienced programmer.
Unfortunately the only way to get more experienced and advanced is practice
Old 02-12-2013
Flexsim User

Thumbs up Practising

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the pointer.

I'd actually opened that post right after reading your reply, and am planning on giving it a go.

I hope to get back to you at some stage.

Thanks again

Brett
Old 03-26-2015
Graca Silva

Downloads: 11

Hi there all,

I still would like to learn more about about writing to different files with an array of different file pointers and a C++ DLL if there is anyone up to teach?
I have sucessfully linked a dll now with a timeprocessor example I found in other post but I still not sure how to proceed with arrays and pointers...

Thanks

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best way to transfer a large volume of data from the dll to flexsim? Vadim Fooks Q&A 10 08-06-2012 02:31 PM
Exporting From Flexsim Chart michaelsmith Q&A 1 10-07-2009 11:53 AM
Loading a large map as a background Kenny Macleod Q&A 6 02-09-2009 03:46 PM
Exporting Global Tables with Excel 2007 david_white Q&A 8 11-11-2008 10:34 AM
Automated runs / Exporting mdb file.. Nico Zahn Q&A 14 12-17-2007 11:26 AM