ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Sales and Services > Training, Consulting, Employment
Downloads

Training, Consulting, Employment Information regarding training, consulting and employment opportunities.

Old 02-16-2009
Flexsim Software Products, Inc.

Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0
Malcolm Beaverstock is on a distinguished road
Default Help for New Simulation Textbook

I retired from General Mills in August of last year where I headed their Business Simulation group. I selected Flexsim as the General Mills standard and am now working with Flexsim. My primary focus is a new text book for simulation that I hope to have ready for this fall semester.

My approach is different from that used in current books as it focuses more on using simulation than being an in-depth course on the software. My concept for the book is similar to the way I’ve taught it in industry. It starts by getting students immersed in simulation right away by analyzing systems of various complexities without having to learn a lot about the application. The book is totally based on hands-on learning.

My current effort is accumulating the many exercises to be used throughout the book. They’re intended as classroom examples or assignments. The format for each example will be the same:
1.Description and Data (some advanced examples will have more data than needed).
2.Problem or issue to be resolved
It’s intended that the student will create a response to the problem by recommending a course of action based on the simulation analysis.

I would appreciate if you could share some examples based on your work that might make interesting examples. I‘ll use the concept but change the application and data to protect any confidential information. For example, I would re-cast a cereal production problem in the form of some other business such as nut and bolt manufacturing and use different numbers.
What I would like is a brief description of the application/ equipment and the problem. For example: cereal packing line with three baggers, cartoner, and casepacker – problem – determine the surge size given rates and reliability data. A copy of a model and data would be great as well. If you ‘ve simulated some smaller part of it may be a good example. I’m also looking for some examples, like the Flexsim demos, which students will open, change data, and run to solve a particular problem. Others will be descriptions from which students will build a simulation and answer a particular problem or issue.
Please send me any suggestions as soon as you can – but also send them later as you think of them -- I ‘ll be working on this for a while. Feel free to contact me by email ([email protected]) or phone (251-973-0631. Also forward this to anyone else who might be able to help.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malcolm Beaverstock For This Useful Post:
syseo (12-10-2009)
Old 12-07-2009
Flexsim Australia

Downloads: 114
Kenny Macleod will become famous soon enoughKenny Macleod will become famous soon enough

How's the book going Mal?
Old 12-10-2009
Administrator

Downloads: 123
Uploads: 2
Bill Nordgren has much to be proud ofBill Nordgren has much to be proud ofBill Nordgren has much to be proud ofBill Nordgren has much to be proud ofBill Nordgren has much to be proud ofBill Nordgren has much to be proud ofBill Nordgren has much to be proud ofBill Nordgren has much to be proud of

It is finished. Just a few minor fixes and it is done. We will have 5 copies at the Winter Simulation Conference next week.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Nordgren For This Useful Post:
Kenny Macleod (12-11-2009)
Old 01-07-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 4
Nico Zahn has a spectacular aura aboutNico Zahn has a spectacular aura about

Where can one buy or get the book? How to access the student forum?
Old 01-08-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 439
syseo has a spectacular aura aboutsyseo has a spectacular aura about

Bill.
I also want to get the text book and want to localize it to Korean.
I want to receive your opinion ASAP.
Old 01-08-2010
Flexsim Distributor

Downloads: 74
David Chan has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Chan has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Chan has a spectacular aura about

Me too!!!

David
Old 01-08-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 52
Sebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to behold

I´m also interested in book and forum.
Old 05-19-2010
Student

Downloads: 2
Congshi Wang is on a distinguished road
Default Textbook

I'm interested in textbook and forum. Can anyone tell me how to get access to the student forum and how to purchase the textbook?

Thanks
Old 05-27-2010
Administrator

Downloads: 123
Uploads: 2
Bill Nordgren has much to be proud ofBill Nordgren has much to be proud ofBill Nordgren has much to be proud ofBill Nordgren has much to be proud ofBill Nordgren has much to be proud ofBill Nordgren has much to be proud ofBill Nordgren has much to be proud ofBill Nordgren has much to be proud of

We will make the textbook available this fall when it is completely finished. It has been used in 2 course at Mississippi State University as a beta run. There are some changes and additions to be made in July and August after the second course is finished. After the final changes have been made, then it will be made available to everyone who wants to buy it. Just be patient.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Nordgren For This Useful Post:
Sebastian Schreiber (09-10-2010)