ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 08-01-2013
TMN Simulation -Australia

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
michaelsmith will become famous soon enough
Default Network Spacing & Queueing TE's

I'm trying to see if there is an elegant/simple solution to a problem we have encountered with TE's on a network. The spacing values are set and each TE has a different speed on the network. When TE's queue behind the slowest they all move together, when the slow TE crosses a NN to a new section the spacing rule stops being in effect (as it is defined for the path not the whole network?) and the TE's behind accelerate into the space then stop at the NN till the gap comes back. Overall it's more of a visual issue than a results one but has anyone come across this and solved it?
Old 08-01-2013
Flexsim User

Downloads: 52
Sebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

to build what you are looking for I nomaly only create another NN in front of the NN where your slowest TE stops and use Traffic Control. This works very fine if you only have 2 TE in line. It also could be a solution for 3 TE. But if you want more, effort will rise and you will have to find another solution.
Old 08-04-2013
TMN Simulation -Australia

Downloads: 7
michaelsmith will become famous soon enough

Thanks for that, it would be a good solution for a smaller number of TE's but just get too much for some of the numbers involved.
Old 08-05-2013
Flexsim User

Sebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to behold

How many TE´s are involved in your model?
Old 08-07-2013
Flexsim User

Downloads: 12
andrecorreia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Hemmann View Post
How many TE´s are involved in your model?
Hi Sebastian,

Mike is trying to help me with this issue.

It's around 20 TE's (which are trucks in a open pit mine). The problem becomes very noticeable when there is a Grader travelling at 5km/h and all trucks around it at 50km/h on non-passing road segments.

Any help would be appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to andrecorreia For This Useful Post:
arunkrmahadeva (10-16-2013)
Old 08-08-2013
Flexsim User

Hi,

can you share a small example model please. I think the answer would be to adjust the Network.
My first solution would be to find out where TE´s are allowed to pass the slower truck. And with this information I would build a Network that only at this points got Networknodes.
Now you only Need a logic for priority in traffic.

greetings
Old 08-08-2013
Flexsim User

Hi Sebastian,

Actually, TE's would never be allowed to overtake other TE's. If there is a slower TE at the beginning of the line, all TE's behind it would have to stay there and follow the slower TE at its speed.

Attached is a simple model demonstrating the problem. Notice that after the slow operator has passed through the first node, the operators behind it, that are faster, speed up, and stop at the node waiting for the space between them to be the segment spacing.

I just wanted the fast operators to follow the slow one, at a constant slow speed.

Thanks for your help.

Andre.
Attached Files
File Type: fsm Spacing_Speed_Test.fsm (88.4 KB, 85 views)
arunkrmahadeva (10-16-2013)
Old 08-08-2013
Flexsim User

Ok, thanks for the model. So my idea was to proof if your realy Need NN2 - NN5. In the models I´ve build I only needed NN´s for using their Triggers to start any logic.
So i would try to reduce number of used NN´s to the Points, where TE really has to stop an build there the solution with Traffic control.

So as you can see TE´s stop in line.
Now it Looks as if you also have to build some own Tasksequences to make all TE´s unload their items.
Attached Files
File Type: fsm Spacing_Speed_Test-SH.fsm (88.6 KB, 76 views)
Old 08-09-2013
Flexsim User

Downloads: 27
Esther Bennett is a name known to allEsther Bennett is a name known to allEsther Bennett is a name known to allEsther Bennett is a name known to allEsther Bennett is a name known to allEsther Bennett is a name known to all

Hello Andre,

I have made an example for you how to change the speed limit of an edge on arrival of a traveler. (at NN2).

This will change the speed permanently though and only for one node.

You would have to set the speed limit back to a default value OnReset and maybe during the model run, but I hope this helps you in the right direction.

Esther
Attached Files
File Type: fsm Spacing_Speed_Test_EB.fsm (105.4 KB, 376 views)

Last edited by Esther Bennett; 12-08-2014 at 05:10 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Esther Bennett For This Useful Post:
syseo (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013
Flexsim Canada, Forum Moderator

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 1
Kris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud of

I like Esther's concept. If you only care about the travelers respecting each other's max speed and not assigning speed limits to individual paths then the following can work decently well, but you will need more frequent nodes on the network. Still not a perfect fix.

OnArrival of all NNs:
Code:
//if there are no active travelers on my toedge, set its speed limit to my max speed
treenode portnode = rank(connectionsout(current),toedge);
if(content(rank(portnode,PORT_ACTIVE)) == 0)	//no travelers ahead of me to govern my speed
	set(rank(portnode,PORT_SPEED),getvarnum(traveler,"maxspeed"));
Pretty sure you don't have to optimizenetwork() since the navigator's distance table does not involve speeds.
Attached Files
File Type: fsm Spacing_Speed_Test_KG.fsm (99.2 KB, 73 views)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kris Geisberger For This Useful Post:
Sebastian Hemmann (08-12-2013)
Old 08-12-2013
Flexsim User

Thanks a lot, guys.

Sebastian,
I do need all the network nodes. There are other things happening in the model that prevent me from deleting the extra nodes.

Esther and Kris,
Yeah, I think that's the way to go, changing the speed limit of the segments as the trucks pass through nodes.

Thanks again,
Andre.
Esther Bennett (08-13-2013)

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
some bug in basicconvey using spacing value LINWEIXU Q&A 2 08-02-2012 09:14 AM
Question about item (truck) size/spacing? Jamie Santa Ana Container Terminal (CT) Library 2 09-25-2009 10:25 AM
Queueing preempting task Alexandre Ouellet Q&A 3 05-08-2008 09:22 AM
Expertfit cannot find network key - Flexsim Network License Kris Geisberger Q&A 0 02-05-2008 05:10 PM
MergeSort Spacing Rule For Recirculation Sung Kim Q&A 2 01-21-2008 09:26 AM