ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Installation
Downloads

Installation Installation, licensing and hardware issues

Old 04-14-2009
Flexsim Distrib. Canada

Downloads: 42
Uploads: 0
Francois Perron is on a distinguished road
Default Installing Flexsim on a Virtual Machine

Hi,
Does anyone tried to install Flexsim on a Virtual Machine using Virtual PC 2007 ? For some reason, I would need to do it. I almost succeed, but the issue is with the key. The VM doesn't "see" the USB ports, so doesn't recognize the licence and start in evaluation mode. Does anyone could give my a hand on this one ?

MY CONFIGURATION
Physical Machine :
Win XP SP3

Virtual Machine :
Win XP SP3
Flexsim 4.52 local license

Thanks

FP
Old 04-14-2009
Flexsim Distributor

Downloads: 278
Uploads: 2
Lars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

If I remember right Microsoft Virtual PC do not support USB, so you can not use the Flexsim key with Virtual PC.
I recommend you to try SUN:s VirtualBox instead, you can find it here (www.virtualbox.org).
VirtualBox is also free.

Lars-Olof
Old 04-14-2009
FlexSim Software Products

Downloads: 37
RalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to behold

Hi guys,

I also used VirtualBox but I had difficulties to set up a proper graphics driver, so I wasn´t able to use hardware accelaration on the virtual PC. Maybe you solved that somehow, Lars-Olof?

Thanks

Ralf
Old 04-14-2009
Flexsim Distributor

Downloads: 278
Uploads: 2
Lars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

After installing VirtualBox it is important to install Guest Additions, here the will the graphics driver be installed.
From most virtual machine software you must use their graphics driver, you can not use the graphics card/driver
on the host system. You most go through the driver in the virtual machine.

Now set up the memory for the graphics card to 128 MB in VirtualBox.
I managed to get Flexsim to work under High Speed and High Compatibility with out any crashes.

You have always VMware Workstation but this is a commercial software.
In VMware I can run Flexsim in High Quality mode.

Remember it can be some problem to get a graphic intensive software like Flexsim to work good in a virtual machine.

Lars-Olof
Old 06-22-2009
Flexsim Distributor Italy

Downloads: 66
Luciano will become famous soon enough

Hi Guys,

I've installed Flexim in a VirtualBox virtual machine bus I have some problem to installa the Aladdin driver: during the install process the virtual machine crashes (blue screen).

Someone experienced the same problem?

Thanks

Luciano.
Old 08-28-2009
TMN Simulation -Australia

Downloads: 7
michaelsmith will become famous soon enough

Would these issues be solved by using network liscencing?
Old 08-28-2009
Flexsim Distrib. Canada

Downloads: 42
Francois Perron is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

I did try using a network licence. I plugged a network key in my physical machine and set as the server and my virtual machine as the client. I did work fine for the key recognition.

Then, another issue occured. The graphic card emulated in the virtual machine is a "basic" graphic card wihout 3D acceleration. As you know, Flexsim need 3D acceleration. I did some search on how to emulate a better 3D graphic card, but it seems very difficult and not very reliable so I concluded that Flexsim cannot be installed on a virtual machine.

Frank

Tags
virtual machine

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using probability to indicate machine/operator availbility David Chan Q&A 13 02-18-2011 02:03 AM
How to use virtual path without overtaking of taskexecuters? Support_DoNotOvertake_TD Tom David Q&A 2 01-07-2009 04:29 AM
Preempting for machine breakdown Martijn van Oostenbrugge Q&A 4 10-15-2008 01:49 AM
Machine breakdown using Operators Nico Zahn Q&A 8 07-13-2008 03:07 AM
How to dynamically set virtual distance for Network Node Sung Kim Q&A 2 02-29-2008 01:36 PM