ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > Flexsim CT > Container Terminal (CT) Library
Downloads

Old 10-06-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
B Whitley is on a distinguished road
Default CAD Drawing Imported as Background

For some reason I am having difficulty importing a CAD drawing into a new model as a background. I converted the drawing from dwg to dxf (all done in CAD LT 2000) and for some reason the image will not display on the model if I use the GUI or the tree.
Does the size of the drawing create issues? Am I doing something incorrect?
Old 10-06-2009
The Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6
Brandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant future

B,

The following thread may prove usefull to you: http://www.flexsim.com/community/for...hlight=autocad

The main reasons for someone not being able to view a DXF file are as follows:
1. How large is the file? I have had files that were so large when I exported them that the graphics card would not display them (over 50Mb). Different computers will act differently on this one.
2. Make sure the x rotation on the visual tool is -90
3. It is possible that the file was not scaled in feet or meters like your model. Try zooming way out or way in to see if you can see it.
4. It is possible that the drawing was not moved to the origin. You can try zooming out and then panning to see if you can locate it.
5. It is possible that the model was not exploded enough. Often times the drawing lines must be exploded more than once to get them down to their most basic components. Try repeating the exploding step a few more times.

If this does not help you can try posting the dxf or dwg file to see if someone else can help you covert it.

Good Luck,
Brandon
Old 10-06-2009
Flexsim User

Brandon
Attached is the model with the dxf imported, for some reason there is still no image. I've a attached the model and the drawing. If anyone can figure this out it would be very helpful. I've zoomed out and checked everywhere, is there a way to query the location/coordinates of the image in Flexsim?

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip WWT.zip (3.46 MB, 237 views)
Old 10-06-2009
The Flexsim Consultant

Brandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant future

B,

In the dxf file you had not moved everything to the origin. To modify the file I selected everything and used the move command. As the base point I selected the bottom left corner of the drawing. Next I typed in 0,0,0 as the destination. Other than that it appeared as if you had scaled the model and exploded all of the objects in the drawing correctly. Once you import this into flexsim you will need to set the z rotation of the object to -90. It is a large drawing so you will need to zoom out to see it all.

I have attached the dxf file that I modified.

Good Luck,
Brandon
Attached Files
File Type: zip WWT.zip (1.91 MB, 242 views)
Old 10-07-2009
Flexsim User

Brandon,

Thank you so much for your help.
Old 10-08-2009
Flexsim User

Brandon

I'm not sure if I'm just not understanding moving the Cad drawing to (0,0,0), but if you could please assist with this one last drawing it would be very helpful. I'm trying to do the same thing and put this into a new model.

Thanks for all of your assistance with this situation.
Attached Files
File Type: zip CST Portrait test 1.zip (1.52 MB, 219 views)
Old 10-08-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 22
Jamie Santa Ana is on a distinguished road

B,

In Autocad, you're going to have to move your drawing to the origin (0,0,0). If you were to use the command 'id' in your drawing and click anywhere on your drawing elements, it will return a coordinate. In your case, somewhere around (200,000, 300,000, 0). So you could draw a huge circle with an origin of (0,0,0). Then select all of your drawing elements and move it to the center of that circle. Now your drawing is near the origin (0,0,0).
The Following User Says Thank You to Jamie Santa Ana For This Useful Post:
Brandon Peterson (10-08-2009)
Old 10-08-2009
The Flexsim Consultant

B,

Here is your file. I made a video of the AutoCAD prep process with your file so that you would know what I did and how to do it. I would like to post the video on Youtube and in our downloads section as a tutorial. Please let me know if that is OK.

Thanks and Good Luck,
Brandon

Thanks B for allowing me to post the video (It is also in the downloads section):
Attached Files
File Type: zip CST.zip (1.60 MB, 210 views)

Last edited by Brandon Peterson; 10-09-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Allowed to post the video
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brandon Peterson For This Useful Post:
Phil BoBo (10-09-2009)
Old 10-09-2009
Flexsim User

Brandon
Please feel free to post the video and again thanks for your assistance.
The Following User Says Thank You to B Whitley For This Useful Post:
Brandon Peterson (10-09-2009)

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drawing a Sankey Diagramm Nico Zahn Q&A 5 08-05-2009 05:10 AM
Getting an imported shape into the yellow selection box Brenton King Tips and Tricks 23 07-24-2009 08:44 PM
Keeping the Ortho View Window in the background? Nico Zahn Q&A 4 03-10-2009 10:16 AM
Loading a large map as a background Kenny Macleod Q&A 6 02-09-2009 03:46 PM
How to dynamically show/hide the imported 3D shape assigned to a VisualTool Cliff King Tips and Tricks 0 09-18-2007 04:09 PM