ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 08-06-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 47
Uploads: 0
Sven Polz is on a distinguished road
Default Capturing Video Advice - Video converter?

The Flexsim AVI maker has had problems in the past (not sure if it still does).
Because of the problems Flexsim at the time recommended using FRAPS. Fraps is a 3rd party app. that captures video of Flexim simulations.
Fraps works great; it's a good recommendation. I prefer using it over the built-in AVI maker.

Here's the problem:
The videos FRAPS creates use an AVI codec that is only available to people that have fraps installed on their PC. If you don't have Fraps installed you can't view the video.
If you want to view the video file on a PC without Fraps you have to convert the FRAPS *.avi video to a standard *.avi file first.

Can anyone recommend a piece of software (perferrably free) that can convert *.avi files into standard *.avi or *.wmv or other file types?
Old 08-06-2009
Flexsim Development

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 18
Thanked 1,483 Times in 525 Posts
Phil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried Windows Movie Maker? That comes with most versions of Windows lately.
Old 08-07-2009
Flexsim Distributor

Downloads: 278
Uploads: 2
Lars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

If you want to convert between different movies format try FormatFactory: http://www.pcfreetime.com/

I have using FactoryFormat few times myself.

To capture a video from Flexsim I am using Camtasia Studio (http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.asp).
In Camtasio you can record, edit and export to the format you want, the program cost $299 (August 2009).

Lars-Olof
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lars-Olof Leven For This Useful Post:
Sven Polz (08-10-2009)
Old 08-07-2009
Flexsim Canada, Forum Moderator

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 1
Kris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud ofKris Geisberger has much to be proud of

The Flexsim AVI maker works... it's just sensitive. Make sure you have the codec that you select, and follow the Help instructions very carefully. You might be pretty safe to choose the Microsoft Video 1 codec to avoid viewing issues but the file will be large.

Like Lars-Olof I use Camtasia Studio. Great editing and lean output. Anyone you send videos to will need to install their free codec (unless it is swf or flv format ouput? - I can't remember if this is true). The codec is very small.
Camtasia Studio Codec: http://www.techsmith.com/download/codecs.asp.

CamStudio is another tool (free) that makes swf files.
http://camstudio.org/ go to bottom of page.

Sizer is also a helpful tool
http://www.brianapps.net/sizer.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Kris Geisberger For This Useful Post:
Sven Polz (08-10-2009)
Old 08-10-2009
Flexsim User

Downloads: 47
Sven Polz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil BoBo View Post
Have you tried Windows Movie Maker? That comes with most versions of Windows lately.
Thanks BoBo,
I am running Vista Business which didn't come with WMM, but Microsoft has it available for free on their website.
It works well and even allows me to add intro slides with some transition effects.

Thanks for everyone elses suggestions too.
SP
Old 08-10-2009
TMN Simulation -Australia

Downloads: 7
michaelsmith will become famous soon enough

I would reccomend usin VLC which is a useful open source media player. It can be configured to transcode from a source (ie the Screen) to a file. It is all explained nicely in it's help Wiki. It also will export to many file types.

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hope someone to make a video tutorial about GUI qin tian Q&A 11 06-20-2013 10:17 AM
Flexsim Simulation System Demo Video David Chan Marketing and Sales Information 1 06-08-2009 09:25 AM
Viral Video Ads Ben Wilson Marketing and Sales Information 5 11-16-2008 07:23 PM
Self-paced video tutorial: "My Very First Flexsim Model" Brenton King Marketing and Sales Information 0 04-01-2008 01:29 PM