ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Installation
Downloads

Installation Installation, licensing and hardware issues

Old 06-17-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 52
Uploads: 0
Sebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to behold
Default What Hardware to Order

Hi,

I got a little problem with find Hardware. Since some weeks I´m in a new company where only standard hardware can be ordered. Because I´m using Flexsim I got a "Grafic Notebook".
A Dell Latidude E 6410 with a Nvidia NVS 3100M graficcard (512mb).
I´m using Flexsim V 5, V 4.5.2 and tryed to use 3.06. Now I found out, that this grafic card isn´t a good solution for using Flexsim.
Thatswhy I have to order another (non standard) hardware. It has to be a Business Notebook of DELL. In my search I found the "Precision M 6500" with a Nvidia Quadro Fx 3800M, which is the follower of the Fx 3700M. But in the Thread http://www.flexsim.com/community/for...p?t=272&page=3
Danny Pavan reported some problems with it. Even there is a hint, that "Quadro" cards aren´t good anyway because of seldom updates.
The Gamingnotebooks "Alienware" of Dell nearly all use ATI Grafics today. Only found some, with a Nvidia Geforce GTX 200 series grafic card. But in my opinion at first they aren´t really good and second this notebooks aren´t business notebooks, so will not fit to any docking station?

Can anybody give me a hint, what to order? Or probably if the problems with Nvidia Quadro FX 3800M are solved?
Old 06-17-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 30
Danny Pavan will become famous soon enoughDanny Pavan will become famous soon enough

We are running Flexsim Version 5 on an NVIDIA FX 3700M graphics card with no problems. I had forgotten that I was running Version 4.5 in the graphics "Compatibility Mode" so when I loaded 5.0 I did not change the graphics setting in the preferences. I have double checked that we are using Flexsim without using "Compatibility Mode". Version 5 resolved the problem we were having with the 3D graphics in the previous version.

The thread regarding the graphics card is out of date. If threads can be deleted from this forum, that is one that should go as it is now a source of bad, outdated information.

Danny
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danny Pavan For This Useful Post:
Sebastian Hemmann (06-18-2010)
Old 06-17-2010
Flexsim User

Sebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to behold

I know, that the thread isn´t really up to date. So I started this new thread.
But I also know, that it isn´t easy to hold a thread like the one with the grafic cards up to date.
One example: a collegue has a notebook (not even one year old) that works. We tryed to order exactly the same at Dell, but not possible to get this hardware today. So there has to be a thread in which allways all possible cards were tested and this more than twice a year.
I don´t believe that anybody is able to spend time for realising this. Possibly we find a easy solution anyway?
Old 06-17-2010
SNC-Lavalin GTS

Downloads: 21
Normand Côté will become famous soon enough

I'm using a Dell Precision M4400 with NVDIA Quadro FX 770M. It works well with V5 and V4.5.x

Normand
The Following User Says Thank You to Normand Côté For This Useful Post:
Sebastian Hemmann (06-18-2010)
Old 06-17-2010
Flexsim Distributor

Downloads: 74
David Chan has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Chan has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Chan has a spectacular aura about

I am using a Gateway with 9300GS Cuda 512 MB card. So far they are ok. In Asia, the notebook such as Acer, Asus and Gateway are the cheaper one but yet provide a good value for money. Some of which even able to provide 1GB card at less than $1K.
Sebastian Hemmann (08-05-2010)
Old 06-18-2010
Flexsim User

I also found hints in my search, that some of the ATI cards are well for OpenGL 3.1 or 3.2. But I still should hold on Nvidia? The best I found here, is the a card being well for OpenGL 2.4. Now I doesn´t know anything either.
Old 06-18-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 30
Danny Pavan will become famous soon enoughDanny Pavan will become famous soon enough

I am using a Dell Precision M6400 with a NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700M.
Works great with Version 5!
The Following User Says Thank You to Danny Pavan For This Useful Post:
Sebastian Hemmann (06-22-2010)
Old 06-22-2010
Flexsim User

We ordered now a Dell Precision M 6500 with a 1GB Nvidia Quadro FX 3800M. As soon as I got it and some experience I will give a hint here.

I have decided between the following 3 Notebooks.
  • Alienware M 11x (nVidia Geforce GT 335M)
  • Precision M 6500 (nVidia Quadro FX 3800M)
  • Precision M 4500 (nVidia Quadro FX 1800M)
First isn´t a business notebook and the M 6500 is a little way better than M 4500. But all of them should work very well with Flexsim.
Old 06-24-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 25
Shankar Narayan is on a distinguished road
Default My Flexsim v5 machine configuration

Brand: Dell Latitude E6400
RAM: 4GB
CPU: Intel Core2Duo T9900 @3.06 Ghz
Video: NVidia Quadro NVS 160M with 2GB on board memory
HardDisk: Samsung 128GB SSD - SolidStateDrive

Please add this to the list of hardwares able to run Flexsim v5.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Shankar Narayan For This Useful Post:
Sebastian Hemmann (07-19-2010)
Old 06-28-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 4
Nico Zahn has a spectacular aura aboutNico Zahn has a spectacular aura about

Hi,
we have to upgrade a notebook (HP) which is now running with an intel mobil 4 express chip on board.
There no way that there could fit another graphic card into the notebook. So does anyone of you ever tried an external graphic card for a notebook (over PCMCIA)??
Old 07-07-2010
Flexsim User

So I got the DELL Precision M 6500 and everything (Flexsim) works very fine.
Only touchpad doesn´t like my fingers. I believe it´s a new generation that is sensitive to the body heat!?
But this way it is well to have a business notebook with a docking station.
Old 07-18-2010
Flexsim User

Hi Nico,

doesn´t have any experience with external grafic cards. But I believe it will be a very interessting solution for some users. Have you tried out anything? And what are the results?
Old 11-10-2010
Flexsim Distributor Italy

Downloads: 66
Luciano will become famous soon enough
Default HP EliteBook 8540w

Hi,

I'm experiencing Flexsim problem with a HP EliteBook 8540w with this characteristics:

- CPU intel i7
- nVIDIA QUADRO FX 880M
- windows xp 32

The main problem i that this new notebook work WORSE with Flexsim that a previous one HP with Centrino an ATI FirePro.

Anyone are usign an HP workstation with QUADRO FX 880M or another notebook brand with this graphics card?

Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Luciano For This Useful Post:
Goksin Yilmaz (05-16-2012)
Old 11-11-2010
Talumis, Flexsim Distributor, The Netherlands

Downloads: 43
Steven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Luciano,

Did you check the post about the graphics cards? http://www.flexsim.com/community/for...ighlight=2500M

I had a Quadro FX 2500M and that card also was not the best. I don't know why but I will never buy a Quadro card again.

The only thing you can do I think is looking for the latest drivers or maybe even one of those tweaked drivers and hope that it solves your problems.

Steven
The Following User Says Thank You to Steven Hamoen For This Useful Post:
Luciano (11-16-2010)
Old 11-25-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 2
Roy Lambrechts is on a distinguished road

Luciano,

I work with the same notebook (Windows 7 64 bit installed). Flexsim works fine for me.

I have no experience with other graphic cards so I have nothing to compare.

Roy
The Following User Says Thank You to Roy Lambrechts For This Useful Post:
Luciano (05-30-2011)
Old 05-10-2011
Flexsim User

Just had a look at Dell Homepage some days ago and found out that Alienware M11x seems to became little more powerful. Still should be a good choice.
But sadly Precision M 6500 and M 4500 aren´t available any longer.
There is a new generation called Precision M 6600 / M 4600 with another grafic cards 2048MB NVIDIA 3000M QUADRO / 2048MB NVIDIA 2000M QUADRO (and still some ATI options).
Out of my opinion this both should work the same way, as "nVidia Quadro FX 3800M" found in Precision M 6500 or "nVidia Quadro FX 1800M" in Precision M 4500.
Is anybody else having other experiences?

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What are Flexsim's hardware requirements? Cliff King Marketing and Sales Information 2 07-12-2010 10:46 AM
Labels in order to control m matias Q&A 10 03-23-2010 11:17 PM
New Hardware Setup Alistair Smitheman Installation 3 03-20-2009 03:07 AM
Order Pulling model Roger Antillon Q&A 11 11-18-2008 09:18 AM
Big Models - How big and what hardware Kenny Macleod Pre-sales Questions 3 10-01-2008 10:38 AM