ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 01-12-2010
Talumis, Flexsim Distributor, The Netherlands

Downloads: 43
Uploads: 0
Steven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Copy/paste problems

I can copy from a table to excel without any problems but if I'm trying to copy from excel to a table or from table to table, it doesn't work (anymore?).

Any ideas anybody?
Old 01-12-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 157
Uploads: 47
Tom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant futureTom David has a brilliant future

I checked it and in my case it is working.
I selected some cells in Excel and copied them (CTRL + C).
I opened a Global Table in Flexsim, put the cursor in the first cell and paste (CRTL + V). I tried it with values and strings and it is working.
So I have no idea what is going wrong in your case.
Old 01-12-2010

Steven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Hamoen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tom,

The strange thing is that with my collegues it is also working only on my machine it isn't. But it was working. So I don't know where to start testing..

Steven
Old 01-12-2010
Flexsim Development

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 18
Thanked 1,483 Times in 525 Posts
Phil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond repute

We have an HP Pavilion laptop that had the same issue here. We had another of that same laptop with the exact same specs, and it didn't have the issue. When we updated the first machine to Windows 7, it fixed that issue so it was probably some driver incompatibility, but we don't know for sure.

The Flexsim table paste functionality uses standard "Csv" clipboard pasting functionality so I assume the error lies somewhere with another program or driver messing with the clipboard's "Csv" format, or opening the clipboard without closing it again.

I wish we had more information, but we never figured out exactly what was causing the issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phil BoBo For This Useful Post:
Steven Hamoen (01-13-2010)
Old 01-13-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 52
Sebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to beholdSebastian Hemmann is a splendid one to behold

Hello,
I even tried this out and it works fine in my machine. First would reinstall Flexsim and second way would be to try out an earlier system restore point.
If this doesn´t work I don´t got any more ideas.

Greetings
Old 01-13-2010
Flexsim Distributor

Downloads: 278
Uploads: 2
Lars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to behold

Hi Phil,

I have the same problem and I have it on 2 different machine. My work computer and my home computer.
The version of Excel I am using is Excel 2007.

Did some digging to figure out what happens and what I can see on my computers is that the copy and paste is only working from Flexsim to Excel.
If I try to paste into Word or a text edtor nothing happens.

If I using Micrsofts Clipboard Viewer to show what in the clipboard the viewer tells me that it can not show the content when doing copy/paste from Flexsim to Excel but can show the content when doing the other way (Excel to Flexsim).

I was also able to identify that the content in the clipboard was of the type RTF (Rich Text Format) when doing copy/paste from Excel to Flexsim.
To find this I was using a software called ClipMagic (http://www.clipmagic.com/).

Tested copy and paste between Excel and couple other software I have access to. They are using text or RTF when doing the copy and paste.
The other software I was using for testing purpose was statistical software which also using grid/table style input.

Hope this can be some help for you.

Lars-Olof

Last edited by Lars-Olof Leven; 01-13-2010 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Add information about more testing
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lars-Olof Leven For This Useful Post:
Steven Hamoen (01-13-2010)
Old 01-13-2010

I would like to add that I also used excel 2007 and xp professional. But al my collegues also have 2007 and they have no problem
Old 01-13-2010
Flexsim Development

Phil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond reputePhil BoBo has a reputation beyond repute

Lars-Olof,

From the msdn documentation about the clipboard:

"Multiple Clipboard Formats
A window can place more than one clipboard object on the clipboard, each representing the same information in a different clipboard format. When placing information on the clipboard, the window should provide data in as many formats as possible. To find out how many formats are currently used on the clipboard, call the CountClipboardFormats function.
Clipboard formats that contain the most information should be placed on the clipboard first, followed by less descriptive formats. A window pasting information from the clipboard typically retrieves a clipboard object in the first format it recognizes. Because clipboard formats are enumerated in the order they are placed on the clipboard, the first recognized format is also the most descriptive.
For example, suppose a user copies styled text from a word-processing document. The window containing the document might first place data on the clipboard in a registered format, such as RTF. Subsequently, the window would place data on the clipboard in a less descriptive format, such as text (CF_TEXT).
When the content of the clipboard is pasted into another window, the window retrieves data in the most descriptive format it recognizes. If the window recognizes RTF, the corresponding data is pasted into the document. Otherwise, the text data is pasted into the document and the formatting information is lost."

When you do a "copy" in Excel, it puts the information onto the clipboard in many, many different formats, including RTF, CSV, and plain text. When you do a "paste" in another program, it looks through each format in the clipboard until it finds one that it can handle, then pastes it. That way Word can handle the information in one way, Notepad in a different way, and Flexsim in a different way all from the same "Copy" command from Excel. There are many clipboard programs that you can use that can read these various formats. The clipboard program I use displays 29 formats that Excel writes to when you do a "Copy" command there, including as a bitmap so that you can copy/paste from Excel to Paint.

When you do a "Copy" in a Flexsim table, it only uses the "Csv" format on the clipboard. When you do a "Paste" in a Flexsim table, it only reads the "Csv" format from the clipboard.

The whole thing is confusing because Flexsim is properly copy/pasting to Excel. Something strange is happening on some computers that is causing Flexsim's paste functionality not to work though, and we can't figure out exactly what it is. My best guesses are in my previous post. If someone with this issue can track down what is causing the problem, then we may be able to resolve it, but none of the computers in our office have this problem any more to investigate further.

Last edited by Phil BoBo; 01-13-2010 at 10:12 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phil BoBo For This Useful Post:
Carsten Seehafer (01-14-2010)
Old 01-13-2010
Flexsim Distributor

Downloads: 278
Uploads: 2
Lars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to behold

Hi Phil,

The problem is that Excel on my 2 system is not copy the data as csv to the clipboard Excel copy the data as RTF (at least on my work computer).
Therefore the paste into Flexsim fails.

The question is why do Excel use RTF on my computer and not csv?

What clipboard program are you using?

Lars-Olof
The Following User Says Thank You to Lars-Olof Leven For This Useful Post:
Brandon Peterson (01-26-2010)
Old 01-13-2010
Flexsim Development

Lars-Olof,

Excel puts the information on the clipboard in many formats; your clipboard viewer is only reading the RTF format though. I sent you an email with the Clipboard program I am using that can view all the formats. Check it out and let's continue this discussion off the forum.

-Phil
Old 01-14-2010
Flexsim Development

With some help from Lars-Olof, I think we found the problem so this issue should be resolved in the 5.0 release.

Tags
excel copy paste

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3D Shape Import Problems jspeece Q&A 2 07-30-2009 03:47 AM
4.5 download problems Shankar Narayan Installation 2 03-10-2009 04:25 PM
Copy Lables Sung Kim Tips and Tricks 3 06-04-2008 08:28 AM
Problems with wrl file Steven Hamoen Q&A 1 01-25-2008 06:00 AM
Graphics problems Yaghm Installation 5 09-28-2007 02:12 PM