ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Installation
Downloads

Installation Installation, licensing and hardware issues

Old 09-19-2008
Flexsim Super Moderator

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 0
AlanZhang is a jewel in the roughAlanZhang is a jewel in the roughAlanZhang is a jewel in the rough
Default Network license through VPN

Hi All,

I just want to know if any of you has success on accessing Flexsim network license through VPN. We have installed a network license over a LAN server and Flexsim client on local LAN works without any problem. However, we could not make it work if we use VPN to access the server through thw virtual LAN. Does anyone try that successfully? You help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-19-2008
Flexsim User

Downloads: 100
Uploads: 1
Pablo Concha is just really nicePablo Concha is just really nicePablo Concha is just really nicePablo Concha is just really nice

Hi Alan,

Tried this a couple of times when i needed to work at home, used a software called hamachi to create the virtual lan, it did worked most of the times. I'm no expert configuring networks so i just installed the software, followed instructions and it worked. (i have no clue why some times it didn't worked tho)...

regards,

Pablo Concha E.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pablo Concha For This Useful Post:
AlanZhang (09-23-2008)
Old 09-20-2008
Flexsim Distributor

Downloads: 278
Uploads: 2
Lars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to behold

Hi Alan,

I can access network license over VPN.
We are using the VPN that comes from Microsoft, using PPTP to create
the VPN connection.

The problem can be that you can not connect to the license server or Flexsim can not find the server.

Try this to see if you can see the server from the client:
  1. Do the VPN connection.
  2. Open a command window.Start->Run, then write cmd
  3. In the command window write ping [name of your license server], example ping lic-srv
  4. See if you get any answer from the license server
If the firewall is set to not allow ping, you will not get any answer from the license server.
In that case, create a directory on the server and share the directory.
In Start->Run or Window Explorer write \\lic-srv\shared dir. to see if it opens up.
If the directory open that means that you can see the server and can communicate with the server.

Now create a nethasp.ini file in Flexsim4\program looking like this
Code:
[NH_COMMON]
NH_TCPIP=Enabled
[NH_TCPIP]
NH_TCPIP_METHOD=UDP
NH_USE_BROADCAST=Disabled
NH_SERVER_ADDR=lic-srv
Change lic-srv to the name of your license server.

Hope this helps you.

Lars-Olof
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lars-Olof Leven For This Useful Post:
Jörg Vogel (09-22-2008)
Old 09-23-2008
Flexsim Super Moderator

AlanZhang is a jewel in the roughAlanZhang is a jewel in the roughAlanZhang is a jewel in the rough

Hi Lars-Olof,

Thanks for your help. The client machine can ping the server without any problem. The VPN software that we use is VNC, which is a very common one.

Your nethasp.ini is interesting. Do you know what the two lines, NH_TCPIP_METHOD and NH_USE_BROADCAST for? Where can I find document about how to tweak the nethasp.ini? I will try using your file to see if it works.

Alan
Old 09-24-2008
Flexsim Distributor

Downloads: 278
Uploads: 2
Lars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to beholdLars-Olof Leven is a splendid one to behold

Hi Alan,

You can find more information at Hasp:s home page.
http://www.aladdin.com/support/hasp/hasp4/vendor.aspx

Which VNC are you using?
The reason I ask is that depending on what VNC you use you can do
a VPN tunnel with VNC.
Normally VNC is only for remote connect and does not create a VPN connection to the machine you do the VNC connection.
I know it is for at least RealVNC and UltraVNC that I have used (or use).

One more thing I think you should do is on a command prompt write: ipconfig -all
Do this both on the server and on the client and compare the result.
When using ipconfig you will see information about what connection you have, ip number, DNS Server etc.

If you want help to look at the result you can send it me as a PM message if you want.
To do that write this:
On the client: ipconfig -all > client.txt
On the server: ipconfig -all > server.txt
Send me the files and I will take a look at them.

Let me know how it went.

Lars-Olof
The Following User Says Thank You to Lars-Olof Leven For This Useful Post:
AlanZhang (09-24-2008)
Old 09-24-2008
Flexsim Super Moderator

Hi Lars-Olof and All,

We are able to use Flexsim network license from our London office accessing the server in Long Beach, USA. We made a change in the nethasp.ini to increase the timeout length. Our nethasp.ini is:
Code:
[NH_COMMON]
NH_TCPIP=Enabled
[NH_TCPIP]
NH_SESSION = 10
NH_SEND_RCV = 10
NH_SERVER_ADDR=lic-srv
This increase the default value for NH_SESSION from 2 to 10 seconds and for NH_SEND_RCV from 1 to 10 seconds.

If you access the network license through long distance, these are two options that you may want to adjust. They are explained on the HASP manual page 291.

BTW, the VPN software that we use is Cisco VPN Client, not the VNC as I mentioned before.
Lars-Olof Leven (09-24-2008)
Old 10-22-2008
Trent Richards

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Network install issues debunked

Alan and Lars, I poached this from another software company's website, but I think it is relevant and well written for resolving all sorts of netHASP issues: Do I hear a thanks for the marketing guy??? I got no rep power!!

Current Known Issues:
Please note: NetHASP dongles use the same drivers as HASP Standalone dongles, so often have the similar issues and workarounds. Please check the HASP Standalone page to ensure that your problem is not already addressed there. Any issues given below are specific only to NetHASP devices.
Current issues with the NetHASP dongles include:

Problem: One machine on the network can't access the license manager, but the others can.
Workaround: Search the system for nethasp.ini on the machine that can't access the license manager. Recently we've had several reports of nethasp.ini files turning up in C:\Windows\System\ or C:\Windows\System32\ - this means it overrides the settings of every application, rather than just one application and may prevent our software from communicating to the server. Try renaming these files and it should resolve the issue.
Problem: Windows XP/Windows Server 2003 produces an error when attempting to install the drivers. This seems to have been caused by some changes Microsoft made in some recent Windows Updates.
Workaround: In order to get around this please download the latest (version 4.98 or above) drivers using the link above and install them to rectify the problem.
Problem: NetHASP dongle does not work on a laptop or machine that is not connected to a network.

Workaround: A Network dongle should generally have a network in order to function. If you wish to run the software on a laptop or desktop machine that is not connected to a network then you will need to do the following:
  • NetHASP License Manager must be installed on the local machine
  • NetHASP License Manager must be running on the local machine
  • A special nethasp.ini file will need to be placed in the same directory as the application. This file tells our software to look for a network dongle in a particular location (in this case the local machine).
    Download and save this file in the installation folder for the application you are trying to run. I.e. c:\program files\Maxsurf for Maxsurf applications or c:\program files\multiframe for Multiframe applications.
  • If the same machine is the server when connected to the network, then no changes need to be made when reconnecting to the network. However, if the machine is NOT the server when located in the office (i.e. some machine on the network other than the laptop has the copy protection device inserted and license manager running), then the NetHASP License Manager software will need to be closed and the nethasp.ini file will need to be removed/renamed. Else the laptop will not be able to find the NetHasp device and acquire a license.
Problem: NetHASP dongle doesn't work on my WAN/VPN/Network with multiple subnets.

Workaround: In larger networks clients may be unable to find the license manager through the normal broadcast method. To solve this, client machines can be configured with a customised NetHASP.ini file which will help them locate the License Manager on the network.
  • Download the sample nethasp.ini file and open the file in notepad or any text editor.
  • Find the line:
NH_SERVER_ADDR = 127.0.0.1

and replace the ip address 127.0.0.1 with the IP address of the server on your network.
  • This file will then need to be placed in the same directory as the application on each client machine. This file tells our software to look for a network dongle in a particular location on the network and not to search the local subnet for it.
    Save this file in the installation folder for the application you are trying to run.

i.e.
    • C:\Program Files\Maxsurf 13\ for Maxsurf applications (assuming version 13) or
    • C:\Program Files\Multiframe 10\ for Multiframe applications (assuming version 10)
Problem: I think my firewall may be preventing the software from obtaining a license from the license manager. What port number does the NetHASP License Manager use?
Workaround: The NetHASP License manager uses TCP and UDP ports 475 for its communication - so please ensure that these ports are open or that the program itself is allowed through the firewall.
Problem: NetHASP dongle cannot be detected by user.
Workaround: We've found several customers who have nethasp.ini files in core system directories - such as C:\Windows\System and C:\Windows\System32 - nethasp.ini files in this location will override any local settings that might be in place. We recommend only placing nethasp.ini files in the same directory as the applications if they are used - this prevents them from affecting other programs that use HASP devices - including our own. Any nethasp.ini files in common paths such as those listed above should be either renamed or removed.
Problem: Remote VPN clients over a slow link are timing out or not able to get a license.
Workaround: It's possible to tweak the timeout settings using a couple of nethasp.ini settings.
If you're not already using a nethasp.ini file for your VPN clients, then I would recommend starting with the section above "NetHASP dongle doesn't work on my WAN/VPN/Network with multiple subnets." You will need to follow the instructions there and configure a nethasp.ini with your server IP address. Give this a try first as it may solve your problem by itself.

If you already have a custom nethasp.ini file with the server ip specified, or still have problems after doing so, you can add a few extra lines which may help with the timeout and communication issues.

NH_SESSION = <Num>
NH_SEND_RCV = <Num>

Where <Num> is a time in seconds.

NH_SESSION sets the maximum length of time during which the application tries to establish communication with the NetHASP License Manager. The default is 2 seconds.

NH_SEND_RCV sets the maximum length of time for the NetHASP License Manager to send or receive a packet. The default is 1 second.

These two settings should be put under the [NH_TCPIP] section in your nethasp.ini file.
NetHASP Dongle Troubleshooting Guide
Network dongle troubleshooting can be a tricky process - mostly because every network is different and there are more steps involved in setting it up. To that end, I've created a troubleshooting guide - with a list of 22 questions to answer which may lead to the source of the problem.

You can answer these below:
  1. Are the latest HASP drivers installed on the server machine (5.22)?
  2. Did you restart the server after installing the drivers?
  3. Are the latest HASP drivers installed on the client machine (5.22)?
  4. Did you restart the client machine after installing the drivers?
  5. Is a network dongle attached?
  6. Is it a network dongle? colour = red, if any other colour (including purple) then not a network dongle.
  7. Is it OUR network dongle? = should have a sticker on it hopefully - and look for 'QIAZC'.
  8. Check whether DonkeyPublic can see it and check what it's programmed for.
    1. If Donkey can't detect it - drivers not installed, not a network dongle, or not our dongle.
    2. If it can, check that the licenses are correct and user has right number of licenses.
  9. Is the license manager installed?
  10. Is the license manager the latest version (8.31)?
  11. Is the license manager running? - there should be an icon on the system tray saying so.
  12. Restart the license manager to make sure it is working correctly and free up any locked licenses.
  13. Is the server/client actually on a network?
    1. If no, then check network dongle faq entry for standalone installation
  14. Are the server and client on the same subnet?
    1. if yes: is it greater than a C-class network? (ie. are the first three blocks of the ip address the same)
      1. if yes: is a nethasp.ini present? (see nethasp.ini info)
        1. no - then create one as it may be required and would certainly be faster.
  15. is there connectivity between the server and client? - perform ping test
    1. if no, check network connection and firewalls
    2. if yes, a nethasp.ini file will be needed
  16. Perform Diagnostix on client and server machines and check the log files:
    1. Does the server machine see a dongle attached?
    2. Does the client see the server license manager?
  17. Is a nethasp.ini file present on the client machine?
    1. if yes - check the configuration of the file, including that the ip address is the right address of the server. Also make sure that the SERVER NAME and SERVER IP are not both specified - this seems to confuse it. You should only specify one of those.
  18. Are there any stray nethasp.ini files on the client machine? search C:\ for 'nethasp'
  19. Are there any firewalls on client or server?
    1. yes - ensure they are configured to allow TCP/UDP port 475, or simply try turning them both off briefly to see if they are interfering.
    2. If it works with the firewall turned off, but doesn't work when firewall on even with port 475 open on the firewall, then add the application to the firewall instead.
  20. What is the exact error message given by our application? - check nethasp error code against table below and see if it gives any clue
  21. Is there more than one Formation Network Dongle available on the network?
    1. if yes, then this should work only if a nethasp.ini file is used AND the two network dongles are on different servers.
  22. Are you using Terminal Services/Remote Desktop to connect to the server?
    1. if yes, this will prevent the license manager from running properly unless you connect to it using /Console option or simply go to the machine manually to restart it.
NetHASP Error Codes
If you're trying to diagnose why a network dongle isn't working - our software (as of MS 13 and MF 10) now displays any error codes received from trying to communicate with the nethasp dongle, and this can be useful in tracking the problem down. Please use the following error codes - the first 128 error codes are all from the software, while the error codes from 129 and above are errors from the License Manager itself.

Error Code
Description
Operation successful.
The IPX, NetBIOS or TCP/IP protocols have not been installed properly. Act accordingly.
Communication error. Unable to get socket number. Applies to IPX and TCP/IP. Verify that the protocol is installed properly.
Communication error. - NetBIOS: Unable to establish session. Verify that the protocol is installed properly. - IPX: Unable to get NetHASP License Manager's immediate address. Verify that the protocol is installed properly. - TCP/IP: Unable to connect to the server. Verify that the server address is correct in the INI file.
No NetHASP License Manager was found. Check whether your software has a path and read permission to the address file.
Cannot read the NetHASP License Manager address file.
Cannot close the NetHASP License Manager address file.
Communication error. Failed to send packet. Verify that the protocol is installed properly.
No answer from the NetHASP License Manager. IPX - The network is busy or incorrect address files found. In the latter case, delete all copies of the HASPADDR.DAT and NEWHADDR.DAT files. NetBIOS - the network is busy. TCP/IP - If the TCP method is used then the network is busy. If the UDP method is used then the network is busy or there is an incorrect address in the INI file.
You called the hasp() routine with one of the services, without first calling the LOGIN service.
Communication error. Adapter error. Applies only to NetBIOS. This error can also happen when the NETBIOS protocol is not installed. Verify that the protocol is installed properly.
No active NetHASP License Manager was found.
Cannot Login because the SET_SERVER_BY_NAME call was not successful.
Syntax error in the NetHASP configuration file (LASTSTATUS service returns the line number in which the error occurred in Par2). If LastStatus returns 0 in par2, either there is an environment variable with an illegal setting, or no IP address was found (when working with TCP/IP or UDP to host).
Error handling the NetHASP configuration file. A file operation like ”open file” or ”read file” failed. A possible reason can be that the system has run out of file handles. The LastStatus service returns the OS system error code in Par2.
NetHASP did not succeed in allocating memory. This error is unique to NetHASP interfaces for Microsoft Windows applications and DOS extenders. Try to free DOS memory.
NetHASP did not succeed in freeing memory. This error is unique to NetHASP interfaces for Microsoft Windows applications and DOS extenders.
Invalid NetHASP memory address.
Failed to load the DLL (winsock.dll or w32sock.dll). Applies only to TCP/IP or IPX.
Failed to unload the DLL (winsock.dll or w32sock.dll). Applies only to TCP/IP or IPX.
Winsock.dll startup error. Applies only to TCP/IP.
Failed to close the socket. Applies to TCP/IP only.
Protocol already set. Returned only when you attempt to set the protocol without having logged out completely from the API.
The correct NetHASP key is not connected to the NetHASP License Manager.
The Program Number (Prg Num) specified is not in the Program List of the NetHASP memory.
Error reading from NetHASP memory.
Error writing to NetHASP memory.
The current LOGIN request exceeds the number of stations which may run the software concurrently.
The current LOGIN request exceeds the number of authorized activations for the software.
You called the hasp() routine with the LOGOUT service without first calling the LOGIN service. This can happen when the License Manager was reloaded or you have been logged out from the License Manager.
The NetHASP License Manager is busy. This may occur if your NetHASP system is not well adapted to the network.
There is no space in the NetHASP user list.
Internal NetHASP error. The Number of Authorized Stations is larger than the maximum number designated by the NetHASP model.
The NetHASP License Manager crashed and was reactivated, or you called the hasp() routine with one of the services without first calling the LOGIN service.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Tom David (10-23-2008)
Old 03-03-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 0
albertain is on a distinguished road

sounds good to me
Old 10-27-2010
Flexsim User

Downloads: 0
Jan Van Belle is on a distinguished road
Default SSH tunneling

Dear all,

is it possible to run flexsim by making a tunnel to the license server? I made a ssh tunnel from port 475 on localhost to port 475 on the server where the license is located. My nethasp.ini is the following:

[NH_COMMON]
NH_TCPIP=Enabled

[NH_TCPIP]
NH_TCPIP_METHOD=UDP
NH_USE_BROADCAST=Disabled
NH_SERVER_ADDR=127.0.0.1
NH_SESSION=5
NH_SEND_RCV=5

However, this doesn't work. Anyone who can help me?

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flexsim Network License Installation Guide Cliff King Installation 5 03-27-2009 04:36 AM
error License Activation Lolke Koopmans Installation 4 03-07-2008 01:47 AM
Expertfit cannot find network key - Flexsim Network License Kris Geisberger Q&A 0 02-05-2008 05:10 PM
Floating license issue MorganIT Q&A 1 09-12-2007 01:51 AM