ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 04-29-2008
Flexsim User

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 4
Nico Zahn has a spectacular aura aboutNico Zahn has a spectacular aura about
Lightbulb What are you reading?

Hi I don´t really know where to put this,
but I wonder which books you really can recommend, raising your knowledge in everything which is worth knowing when you do simulation.
To start, I got one book to recommend which really is worth reading if you have to deal with material flow systems:
Factory Physics by Hopp and Spearman.
Old 04-29-2008
FlexSim Software Products

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0
RalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to beholdRalfGruber is a splendid one to behold

Hi Nico,

I am reading

"Business Dynamics"-Systems Thinking and Modeling for a complex World.

from Stermann (Irwin McGraw-Hill) at the moment.

cu

Ralf aka ralle
The Following User Says Thank You to RalfGruber For This Useful Post:
Cliff King (04-30-2008)
Old 05-08-2008
Flexsim User

Downloads: 14
Paul Dowling is on a distinguished road

Useful topic Nico,

More software than simulation specific i'm reading (slowly, haven't got back into it for a while) beginning visual C++ 2005 by Ivor Horton. Not bad if you've got a lot of time, its a big book. But I guess object oriented programming is a big topic.

Wondering how the titles mentioned (or others?) deal generally with distributions in material flow? Thats the concept im struggling the most with at the moment, in particular when i realised that the random number drop down selection is actually a uniform distribution!

Paul
Old 05-09-2008
Talumis, Flexsim Distributor, The Netherlands

Downloads: 12
Martijn van Oostenbrugge is a name known to allMartijn van Oostenbrugge is a name known to allMartijn van Oostenbrugge is a name known to allMartijn van Oostenbrugge is a name known to allMartijn van Oostenbrugge is a name known to allMartijn van Oostenbrugge is a name known to all

A topic that is also worth reading about is DOE, or design of experiments. This is all about how would you perform experiments. Especially, if you have quite some variables you want to know as much as possible with a minimum amount of experiments.

An example which discusses DOE is: Applied statistics and probability for engineers by Douglas C. Montgomery and George C. Runger

And I definitely agree with Nico that "Factory Physics" is worth reading!
Martijn
Old 05-09-2008
Flexsim Super Moderator

Downloads: 64
AlanZhang is a jewel in the roughAlanZhang is a jewel in the roughAlanZhang is a jewel in the rough

I am still reading the classic text book:
Simulation Modeling and Analysis
Averill M. Law and W. David Kelton

It covers the basic simulation topics and also some useful practical guideline. I found it is useful although it may be too fundamental if you have been in the simulation area for years.