ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 08-25-2008
Flexsim User

Downloads: 70
Uploads: 0
Sung Kim is on a distinguished road
Default Robot processing

Hi,

I am looking for a sample model that I can use as a training tool to learn robot processing kinematics. Here is the logic that I would like to accomplish.

(1) new flowitem is delivered and positioned on to a work desk by a crane.
(2) robot streches the arm to the flowitem
(3) robot processing (time delay)
(4) upon processing completion robot folds the arm
(5) crane clears the desk by transfering the completed flowitem to sink, and does (1)

My limited search found the sample models in which the robot mainly transfers flowitems. However, I have experienced difficulties to apply this transfering logic to my processing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2008
The Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6
Brandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant future

Sung,

Instead of using the robot to do the processing just use it more as an animation. You could do this two ways.

First, you could use the robot as the operator that is required for processing on the processor. This will cause the robot arm to travel to the processor for processing (make the processor the size of the item). Then in the OnProcessFinish trigger you can create a task sequence to have the robot travel back to the stored position with a traveltoloc or travelrelative task.

Second, you could create two task sequences for the robot. The first woul be on the OnEntry or OnSetupFinish trigger and would have the robot travel to the flowitem with a traveltoloc or travelrelative task. Then on the OnProcessFinish trigger you could give the robot another task to travel back to the stored position with another traveltoloc or travelrelative task.

If neither of thsse ways will suffice and you absolutely need the robot to do the processing, then you could have two desk objects. One for recieving the object from up stream and giving it to the robot and the second for recieving the object back from the robot and then sending it down stream. You would need to create a custom task sequence for the operator to move the objects that included a final task to move the robot back to the stored position (same task as above) after it unloads the flowitem to the second desk object. To handle the processing of the item you can select one of two ways to do this. First, you could do it with the load time (make the load time equal to the processing time) on the robot. Second, you could insert a delay task in your custom task sequence that would delay for the processing time.

Good Luck,
Brandon
Old 08-25-2008
Flexsim User

Default Second Option

does work for me. Thank you very much for the tip!!

Additional questions, if you don't mind.
I looked up the definition of parameters for the travetoloc and travelrelative. The last parameter for both is described as "desired end speed". Is it same as Maximum Speed that we can find in Robot TE parameters window? What is the difference between the desired end speed and the maximum speed for TE?

Thank you.
Sung
Old 08-25-2008
The Flexsim Consultant

Brandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant futureBrandon Peterson has a brilliant future

Sung,

The desired end speed is the speed at which you want the TE to be traveling. It is there in case you have one travel task going on to anoher travel task and don't want the operator to come to a stop in the middle. So, if you are stopping then you would want this to be 0 but if you are changing directions then maybe you would want it to be the max speed or something inbetween.

The max speed is the maximum speed that the operator (TE) can travel at.

Brandon
Old 08-25-2008
Flexsim User

Smile Thank you

for the explanation. I think my case can use 0 for that parameter based on your explanation.

Thank you again for your help!
Old 08-26-2008
Flexsim User

Default Initial Position

Attached please find a sample model that is built based on Brandon's suggestion. It works very well.
However, I am wondering if I can set the initial position of the robot arm so that I can avoid the very first offset move (rotation in the sample model).
Basically I want to make the robot arm moves back and forth only for the entire run - no initial off set move.
I tried to adjust offset type attributes like offsetloc# and offsetbegin# under Robot variables, but couldn't make it.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: zip robotarm.zip (43.0 KB, 321 views)
Old 08-26-2008
The Flexsim Consultant

Sung,

Did you try creating a task sequence on reset to move the arm like you do when the model is running? If the time is a problem then you could set its max speed to a high number on reset and then send a message at the end of the initial task sequence to reduce the max speed back down to the actual value.

Brandon
Old 08-27-2008
Flexsim User

Smile Thank you again

Thank you Brandon,

I tried to change some of location attributes values, instead of initial TS with high speed as you suggested. Following your tip, now I can set the robot initial position (with neglegible time duration).

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Articulated Robot Library Kris Geisberger User Development 43 12-21-2010 11:17 PM
Using a Variable number of Operators for Processing Brandon Peterson Tips and Tricks 4 07-16-2008 09:16 AM