ATTENTION

This FlexSim Community Forum is read-only. Please post any new questions, ideas, or discussions to our new community (we call it Answers) at https://answers.flexsim.com/. Our new Question & Answer site brings a modern, mobile-friendly interface and more focus on getting answers quickly. There are a few differences between how our new Q&A community works vs. a classic, threaded-conversation-style forum like the one below, so be sure to read our Answers Best Practices.

flexsim.com

Go Back   FlexSim Community Forum > FlexSim Software > Q&A
Downloads

Q&A Using Flexsim and building models

Old 08-30-2012
Flexsim User

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0
Lucie Lerivrey is on a distinguished road
Default Freeoperators function

Hi everybody,
I have a question about the freeoperators function.

The logic I want to model is the following: an operator takes boxes from a queue to a processor. However I don’t want the operator to start transporting the box after the processor is available, but to wait with the box beside the processor until it is available.
I tried modeling it as in the first model: with an additional queue before the processor. The origin queue creates a task sequence in the request transport from picklist, which is the basic transport task sequence with an additional task at the end: utilize. My idea was to free the operator once the box would leave the queue (OnExit trigger) with the freeoperator function. But this didn’t work, the operator never got freed.
So I tried the second model, which is the same logic as the first model, except that I replaced the second queue by a processor with a process time of 0, and the freeoperator is in the OnFinishProcess trigger. And this time I was able to obtain that logic.

I would like to know if the freeoperator only works for the process triggers (OnFinishSetUp and OnFinishProcess) or if I need to change something in the first model for it to work.

Thank you very much for your help!

Lucie
Attached Files
File Type: fsm Freeoperators.fsm (53.4 KB, 98 views)
Old 08-30-2012
Flexsim Consultant

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0
Jason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond reputeJason Lightfoot has a reputation beyond repute

The comparison would be to put freeoperators on the exit of the queue, but there is a timing issue with that since when you unload the item to the queue, it is immediately released to the processor before the operator enters the UTILIZE task. The difference in the second example is that you have a zero time delay before the item is processed and that's enough for the operator to enter the UTILIZE task. So there's nothing special about freeoperators and those other triggers other than the difference in timing.

One solution, if you wanted, would be to call a subtask to conditionally add a UTILIZE TASK if the queue is not empty.
Attached Files
File Type: fsm Freeoperators_j.fsm (53.3 KB, 104 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Lightfoot For This Useful Post:
Lucie Lerivrey (08-30-2012)

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
function opavailable MoserGaudenz Q&A 1 02-28-2011 05:19 AM
Search function Nico Zahn Q&A 2 10-23-2010 02:04 AM
Recorder function mawajed Q&A 1 03-26-2010 07:23 AM
How to use bernoulli function nie wuwei Q&A 2 08-08-2009 02:41 AM
Print function David Chan Gripes and Goodies 0 05-21-2008 09:38 PM